The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    My bad...I forgot to mention that...

But yeah...The first post I did was the motherboard still using it's original bios...The last test was done with a more recent bios...

I thought bios doesn't give better performance only improve stability...

2. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    It works for all cores on the Asrock X370, at least. Dynamic clock and voltage changes all around.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Seems new bioses are rolling out for Asrock. X370 Gaming K4 literally just got 2.30 posted with improved system compatibility claimed. I checked the page an hour ago? and nothing was there, left it open. I pressed refresh before closing it off knowing full well that nothing would be there, but why not since it takes basically zero effort... and there it was! At the moment it seems only the K4 has it, but I guess the others will soon. I'm presuming this isn't the new AGESA because they would have mentioned if it was :).

4. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    You are right about that!
    If you have the same clocks on GPU and CPU then a BIOS update doesn't really change 3D application performance.

What would be interesting though, to see the score if you clock your 580 @1400 like the 480 ... then we see the true comparison. (alternatively use the same 480)...

5. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Probably not.... especially if your going to OC.

If not OCing.. get the 1700x

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No, get the 1700.

Not worth the near $90 increase.
    Higher tier CPUs are usually better binned but seems all Ryzen avg OC are about 3.8-3.9ghz regardless of core count.

7. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Aria (on superspecial) have got the 1700X at £336 and the 1700 at £288. The choice is yours :)

8. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I had two 1700X. One was great, the other one needed much more voltage. The possible speed was about the same though.
    It depends on how much you pay for electricity and how you've planned to cool the system.

9. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Here You Go:

TimeSpy Comparison:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  10. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    OK guys, still no luck with 3200, even with the bios that was released for my board on 5/3

So I'm a complete noob when it comes to ram timings.

Right now I'm running at: 2933 16 16 16 36.
    My ram is rated for: 3600 16 16 16 36

So for me to test with 3200, and to "loosen" my timings a little, what direction would I proceed?

3200 17 17 17 36? or even 17 17 17 38? I've been reading a lot on timings and overclocking, but just want to be sure I'm going in the right direction.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Easy! Just go with 2933 for now. I found 3200 and 2933 mostly stable, however if I left the computer for several hours and doing encoding, when I came back the monitor woke and some things work for a bit just, but the encoding might have froze an hour earlier, and basically it ends up in a full lock.

The very big reason for not being overly concerned about it is that a major update is coming to the microcode. The instability is not so much caused by the main timings, if your RAM can do 16 etc at 3600 it should be able to do 15 at 3200 easy. The main reason that extra RAM voltage up to 1.4 V is successful is the minor timings. There are a whole heap of other timings besides those few, at the moment I believe they're basically set 'as is', for 2133 operation. At 3200 they become too tight, so extra voltage can help. The new microcode adds an addition 20 registers for XMP reading, which I believe means all those extra settings will be set properly when you select the XMP profile. If you're still limited to 3200, it will set these secondary timings to 3600 but in any case, it should be a lot more stable. This is due within the next couple of weeks, spending time chasing that elusive extra couple of hundred MHz isn't worth it.

You might need 1.4 V, 1.1 V SOC, to be able to do 3200 at 17 17 17 38 etc at the moment, after the update you could potentially have the SOC at stock (if not overclocking), RAM at 1.35 V, and have your 3200 (potentially 3600) at full XMP profile and stable.

12. ApolloKT133

ApolloKT133 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    A lovely topic, thank you so much (still saving up my pennies to get Ryzen kit though)

To add, Zalman has a page with the compatibility of existing air coolers here http://www.zalman.co.kr/contents/support/AM4/AMD_AM4_gl.html
    The availability for older air coolers surprised me at first but I believe the lower TDP for Ryzen procs make them usable.
    I personally think Zalman coolers are the prettiest of the bunch :)

13. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    I have been playing around with Asus ZenStates and have found some strange interactions between ZenStates and the windows power plan settings.

First off I'll mention that I have found that there is a 2.2 version of ZenStates floating around that I did not consider very stable. Did some research and have only found Elmor posting a 2.1 version as the latest version (a couple weeks back) in this thread http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread, I suspect maybe the 2.2 version has been modified by a 3rd party. Either way I have had issues with 2.2 but after getting the 2.1 version from Elmor, it has been rather solid.

Was burning the candle last night messing around with 2.1 so I am paying the price this morning, will post some results after work today. Am curious if anyone else has been messing with ZenStates and what version they using?

14. margroloc

margroloc Guest

GPU:
    960m
    Does anyone know of a B350 board exists that enables P-state overclocking or enables downclocking/volting when OC'd?

I don't believe the MSI boards do, and the one video of an asus b350 board I saw didn't have any P state options.

15. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    The ZenStates utility will work on any Asus AM4 motherboard if I am not mistaken.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Does ZenStates utility offer additional tweaking compared to CH6 BIOS for Pstates settings?

Asking out of curiosity as the ASRock bios has virtually identical Pstates settings as CH6 but Pstate overclocking doesn't seem to work properly atm.

17. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    It works fine on my X370 K4 though. Clocks and voltage goes up and down depending on load.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Would you mind posting a shot of your settings?

I haven't been able to get it working myself, either get downclocking or max speed, not both at the same time as it should be.

P0 being the highest (overclocked) state, P1 lower clocks/volts and so on. Seems P0 state isn't used for me. If I set P0 and P1 equal then I get max speed and voltage only without downclocking or downvolting.

OC Tweaker set to Auto freq. and volt change and Windows powerplan to Balanced or Ryzen balanced ofc.

Maybe R5 or non-X CPUs need a microcode update for dynamic custom Pstates.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  19. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Yes of course, I'll do that tonight. I only set P0, voltage and clock rate. Vcore in the OC tab set to auto, LLC set to my preference. I'll have pictures later on.

20. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    would like to know how prime95 is able to kill hardware, when there is no issue (defective part/not enough power/cooling etc).

I used on 20 of my own builds (the last 10y), and roughly 300 (out of 1000) i repaired working in a shop, and not one part was damaged.
    (failing cheap psu's not included).

sure, its not how "we" daily use our pcs, but i don't test a 2-door sports car going 25 mph in a school zone (but full throttle on the track)...

Last edited: May 12, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.