ssd vs mechanical

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by prescient, May 10, 2017.

1. prescient

prescient Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Evga
    http://www.egprices.com/en/category/computers/hard-disks/external-hard-disks

as i was browsing for hdd after long times i think since 2014 i can notice
    now that ssd is taking the place of mechanical hdd ?

i mean 1 and 2 tb ssd are in good market price now so we can confirm
    mechanical hdd are absolute tech ? slow and noisy and heavy to install?
    i think as floppy disk gave up to dvd thanks

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    What do you mean by "heavy to install"???

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    You can not beat mechanical for price and i wouldn't call them noisy either, i still use a Wd velociraptor 1tb 10k rpm for file storage and a few games and i also use a 1.8tb seagate barracuda for films and music and they both up to the task so i wouldn't call them obsolete, ssd`s are great for games but i still would not pay £200 just to store files or films.

You could say standard ssd`s are obsolete too... my Samsung 960evo(m.2)is 6x faster than my Ocz vertex 4 512gb ssd and my Sandisk ultraII 960gb. where as my Ocz and Sandisk are only 3-4 times faster than my seagate.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    SSD for main OS install and regularly used programs / few regularly played games
    HDD for storage and less regularly used large programs / games

SSD for main install makes a huge difference to overall performance of the machine (Obviously it won't give you more gaming power)

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    SSD is a must have for OS install but for storage and games there is HDD.

As you can see most users even here on Guru3d are still using mechanical drives.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not using any mechanical discs in my gaming rig, SSD only (though only SATA, no PCIe yet), my HTPC however does have a few HDDs in it because of the cheap storage.

With the age of streaming the home archive of movies etc. is somewhat declining, so I'm not sure that HDDs will have their selling point in a consumer environment forever. Right now I could probably live without HDDs in any of my rigs or devices.

7. prescient

prescient Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Evga
    hdd heavy weight and i can just plug the ssd from outside my case to the ssd slot like a usb

i dont see why to keep 2 storage solutions when u have a 2 tb ssd

in the link i posted i think good ssd are much cheaper than 200 usd and if it was to some extra money for the huge difference
    i think pcs kept developing in storage solutions from floppy to cd to dvd and flash drive
    also tapes back in the 90s i wont find it strange if hdd disappeared suddenly

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well it's still a thing for massive amounts of cheap storage, like servers maybe, or data storage facilities. Unless they make SSDs exactly as cheap as HDDs, I guess they won't see much reason to change.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What?

SSDs benefits are latency plus smaller file sizes.
    HDD takes ages to read/write data compared to SSD.

Plus only 3-4 times faster?
    Not really.

Compare 4k read for example.
    Fast HDD = .8mb/s, SSD = 40-70mb/s

Over 5000% faster

10. prescient

prescient Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Evga
    i wasnt talking about forgotten archives cellars in a remote Chinese island

but our stat of the art gaming rigs i think with 2 tb ssd now the hdd will be thrown out of the box as i see on the market shelf's i used caviar black wd for years

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    He compares his m.2 SSD Samsung 960evo with standard SSDs Ocz vertex 4 512gb and Sandisk ultraII 960gb. And states that m.2 SSD is 6x time faster.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My home laptop uses an old Crucial M4 256gb SSD. My desktop has a 525GB Crucial MX300 m.2 and an ADATA SP550. My work laptop has a 500GB Seagate FireCuda SSHD... I also have 1 Media Center with a 64GB Crucial M4 and 1 Media Center with a 1tb Seagate Barracuda.....

Mechanical drives are still the best option for mass file storage due to price.

SSHD are fine for laptops where storage space is a necessity but few programs are used. (My laptop only runs 3 programs.....and boots in 21secs from power on to usable, with fast boot disabled)

13. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    Yes we may have 2TB SSD's but until they get much cheaper they wont be replacing HDD's any time soon, as of right now it would cost me $930 AUD for a single 2TB Samsung 850 EVO, on the flip side it costs me $99 AUD for a 2TB Seagate, Toshiba, or WD HDD.

Right now unless you got crazy amounts of cash to throw at your build, a 500GB or 1TB SSD for your OS and favorite games (or even a 250GB SSD if you don't play many different games), and then a mechanical drive or two for your mass storage needs.

*Edit*
    For example, i have a 500GB Samsung 840EVO, a 1TB Crucial M550, and 2x WD Black 2TB HDD's in my current system, and i only really have the two SSD's cause 500GB wasn't enough for all the games i play often, and when i got the 1TB there wasn't any point taking the 500GB one out as my lounge room PC already has a 250GB SSD in it.

And to be completely honest, now that i have decent internet, i could totally have stuck to having the single 500GB SSD and just re downloading games that i only play once a month or so as even the biggest games only take me an hour or two to download now.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This, exactly.

15. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    You seem to have missed the point here.
    OP states "where as my Ocz and Sandisk are only 3-4 times faster than my seagate."
    Agent-01 only pointed out that that's just not true ;)

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    That`s the "penalty" for writing post longer than one sentence.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Isn't it too early in the morning to be drinking? :nerd:

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    pretty much the only thing my SSD is used for the OS install and some programs, Majority of all my data all my games/documents/music/drivers etc is on 7 year old ST3500410AS barracuda.

Gaming wise I have not seen difference hdd to ssd, atlest not noticeable enough to warrant putting it on 120gb ssd

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Even the loading times are not making that much of a difference. Whatever i install a game on my 850 Evo or WD Black game loads arond the same (depends really).

Still, WD Black can be little noisy while 850 Evo is silent.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    most hdd are rather quiet these days in normal use to point of not be heard, now defrag them they are noticeable.

I will choice HDD when it come to space no question asked, SSD are still way to expensive in the reguard and not worth premium.

I will never personally install an OS on HDD though.