My Gaming system performance issue.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sovan, May 1, 2017.

1. Sovan

Sovan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 8GB
    Hi viewers !

My system is not performing well while gaming. I'm running a 1600x900 display(60Hz) where games are not achieving the kind of FPS i should get. Maybe my thoughts are wrong or any experts opinion would be great.

I tried games like GTAV, Witcher 3, AC: Syndicate, Watch Dogs 2, Homefront: The revolution, fallout, far cry primal, etc... I found my FPS drops while playing these games. I play with a max settings turning ON anti-aliasing.

Games FPS(Avg.) Settings

GTAV: 70-80 All Max except advance settings and MSAA (2x)
    Primal: 60-80 All Max including the highest anti-aliasing available.
    AC : 40-60 All Max including TXAA 2X
    Home: 50-80 All Max
    Fallout: 40-60 All Max
    WD2 : 30-50 Very High Settings MSAA OFF

So, in these games the fps doesn't show stable, it drops when i enter the congested areas or when i rotate the my cursor.....falls badly especially games like GTAV, Homefront,WD2.

I scanned my system with an anti-virus, windows and GPU driver is up to date (uninstall previous driver with DDU then freshly install the latest one), by disabling all MS services i stopped most unnecessary background applications.

My CPU usage of these 3 above mentioned games were like 80-100 % (most of the time, except GTAV which takes an average usage like 60-85%).

I don't know the way i provided the information was right or wrong. Whatever i though on that moment i gave it. Still, If you need any further info. please let me know.

I've also tested my hardware's using:

Valley: Min score - 28, Average - 110, Max- 182.5 ( all settings are maxed out)

If you need in-dept detail about benchmark results like all tests in 3D Mark, i'm ready to give it.

I don't know what's the matter with my system, My system providing me the result which looks unjustified to me, where a 1080p display performing in my friends computer by having i7-6700 with gtx 1060, 8Gb MEMORY, he's gaining more than me in these benchmark tests.

My setup:

CPU : i5 4690k@3.5 Ghz (using a stock cooler from Intel)
    Motherboard :Asus Maximus VII Ranger (BIOS version is not updated from
    the date of purchase which 2014)

Memory : Gskill (4X2)8GB 1333 Mhz
    SSD : Samsung 840 evo 250GB
    HDD : (1x) WD Black 1TB, (1x) WD Blue 1TB 7200 rpm
    Video Card : EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    PSU : Corsair RM 850

Let me know if you need more information.

Thank You

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You are running a 900p monitor, thats your problem. You bought that 1070 for a reason. In order to use its gpu power correctly get yourself a decent 1440p monitor and you'll avoid any cpu/ram bottleneck.

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    mods move plz

4. Sovan

Sovan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 8GB
    Thank for answering.

I would like say some more information regarding my GPU. I noticed that my GPU reaches 80-90% sometimes in GTAV, but I've also seen it reached 100% and on the other side my CPU remains between 80-90% usage. That's for GTAV and games like homefront, most of the time it hits 100% GPU usage while CPU also shows the same result as GTAV.

That made me doubtful. Though my GPU temp remains under 75 C whereas my CPU temp keeps the figures between 70-75 C.

I'm finding myself difficulty to understand such situation. Please clear me.

Yes, the reason i purchased the Geforce 1070 to play games at Max settings with higher FPS.

I'll also follow your suggestions and will change my memory or upgrade it to 16 GB and will try to OC my CPU and will look for the outcome and also i'm thinking of buying a 1080p 144 Hz monitor, why so because i thought if i increase my resolution to 1440p i'll be getting lower fps in max settings in case of playing latest titles and the reason 144Hz because i heard somewhere that refresh rate of a monitor also bottlenecks gaming performance. I don't know my thoughts are right or wrong, but what you say?.

Thank you

Last edited: May 2, 2017

5. Sovan

Sovan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 8GB
    Hello !

Thanks for replying @Geryboy

Yes, maybe i was wrong or talking non-sense, anyways.......

Firstly, I'll never want my CPU to be overclocked with a stock cooler. I know such cases.

Well, Recently I did some tweaking, but nothing changed much.I noticed that during playing GTAV, my GPU usage was 36% where as my CPU usage reached 80-85%. So, I think my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU and my RAM usage was like 6.8-7.0 GB what i saw highest.

Games like homefront, Resident Evil....i don't know why, but the GPU usage (most of the time) 100%. Is it game bug or it's real ?.

Please provide me your view. :)

For you Information, I'll update you by providing the firestrike benchmark result soon.

Thank you

6. Sovan

Sovan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 8GB
    Okay, I can afford that much. So Is that everything all i need to change to gain the actual performance or i need to change my CPU including a higher resolution monitor or overclock my current one ? If i overclock then i need to purchase an AIO cooler or something like that..

Yes, travelling around the entire GTA world i saw my FPS were dropping even when i fly a jet up's & down in such cases FPS drops by a huge amount like the lowest i saw 38 FPS. Still, I don't think increasing CPU clock speed will make a difference and if so then it would be negligible. Once again i want to ask, what you think ? :)

NOTE: If i repeat anything then it's all about to get very clear about something.

No, In Resident Evil my performance were top notch. I played & completed the entire game without any hassle, but in case of Homefront with same situation i saw FPS were dropping too mainly when i rotate my mouse and visit most of the detailed areas.

7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Well, if you're gaming at 900p, your frame rates will be the same at 1080p if you are indeed bottlenecked by your CPU

8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Here are a couple easy things to try. First, enable DSR through the Nvidia control panel so that you can try running some of your games with higher resolutions. This *could* help alleviate some of the CPU load and place it on the GPU instead.

Second, download MSI Afterburner and install it along with RTSS, play some games and upload photos of the graphs and all of the data for us to look at.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    900p is a CPU bound resolution...... going from 900p to 1080p will shift the load from the CPU to the GPU.... Going to 1440p should shift more of the load to the GPU....

10. Sovan

Sovan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 8GB
    Hi all

Wow ! Still lot to know from you all, thanks once again for replying my answer. I appreciate it.

Okay, so what i found till now that i need to increase my RAM, Overclock my CPU and last but not least need to change my display to 1080p. I'll do that.

I did by using DSR in some games like witcher 3, GTAV....but i found my FPS were shorter like 10-15 FPS than the 900 pixel resolution.

Now, I've the Fire strike result, but it's not letting me to post any images or any link here. What should i do ? How will i able to show you the result.

So i'm typing it here:

Fire strike Score: 13 580

Graphics Score: 18 635
    graphics test 1: 88.58 FPS
    graphics test 2: 74.65 FPS

Physics Score: 7 720
    physics test : 24.51 FPS

Combined Score: 7 165
    combined test : 33.33 FPS

I'll be providing more information soon.

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Those Firestrike scores look just fine for a 4690k/1070, so something else is going on here. You should now be able to post pictures. This forum has a 5 post requirement before you are allowed to post links.

If your Firestrike scores are fine but games still don't run well, you really need to install MSI Afterburner with RTSS and then upload a picture of all the graphs after playing a game that you have issues with. We may need that data to figure out where your issue is. There is also an option to raise your power limit for your 1070 when you open MSIAB. I'm curious if maybe your GPU is throttling its clocks or not.

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    You could also update your mobo bios to latest version first to be sure it's not a reason for any perf drops (unlikely it would be but worth a shot I think).

Also what version of Windows are you running? Do you have pagefile enabled? How long has it been since last clean install of Windows?

I used to have a Haswell i5 only recently and it powered my 980 Ti (about the same as 1070 when overclocked) just fine.
    Though don't have games like GTA V or WD2 which require more CPU power.

13. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Your cpu should be closer to 20-25% usage unless you are quoting a single core usage only. There is no way your cpu should be running at the percentages you state.

14. Sovan

Sovan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 8GB
    Hi

Once again thanks for answering my question to all.

Firstly, I'm very sorry for late reply as my network was very bad and tomorrow i'll be formatting my desktop so it took time for backup still with it. Sorry for the delay.

Okay,

@BuildeR2, I'll provide the throttling and other information very soon to you once i format my PC. Need time like 1-2 days for that.

@Geryboy, After formatting my PC, i may purchase an after market cooler to OC my CPU and later i'll provide you the outcome of it and required info. Yes, I've tried by lowering the graphics setting in GTAV and the result were like almost same or little bit change in figures. Still, it drops when i visit hilly areas, forests, sandy sores, highway towards the hills.

@AsiJu, yesterday i updated my motherboard's latest BIOS from Asus. Still, I didn't find any changes with my naked eye or i don't know if it really made any changes in performance or not.

I'm currently running Windows 10 pro 64-bit, but i'm looking for a clean installation of windows, so yea i'll do that.

Okay, but i noticed one thing that my CPU hits 81 C when i did a stress test with my Intel stock cooler. I don't know whether it's okay or not. Still, i'll be providing more information to you all. Stay touch. :)

@Margalus, when i play games, i open up my MSIAB and with help of Riva Tuner i only selected the option i.e.. CPU usage only. Previously I did by selecting #1,#2,#3,#4 cores but it was interfering my gaming experience, so i made it all in one so that i can sell my overall CPU usage and whatever the information i gave was legit. That's why i'm here to find the actual problem of mine.

Please stay in touch, once i format my pc i'll be proving more info. with the help of screenshots and video records (If possible) so that it will make all easier to understand my issue.

Apart from that, I've a question to all. I'll be looking for a RAID 0 with my two WD's. So will it be okay or it's risky ? Please share your views all. Tell me more what to do and what i should not. Any positive answer from your side would be great.

Thank you

15. Sovan

Sovan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 8GB
    So, my CPU is making all those problems ?.

I have spent so many years to build such a system, where i can play latest titles smoothly with higher FPS in Max settings. Saving money years after years and i never knew that it be all waste. :(

This build took so much money from me and the outcome will be like a low-mid range gaming setup, i never knew i would face such situation.

16. mansonfamily

mansonfamily Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ventus OC
    Don't be so sad, your rig is a pretty decent one. All you need is an 25$ cooler, to be able to OC your CPU to ~4.5Ghz, and another 8 Gb Ram - the system must have double GPU memory size - and you're good to go. If you are interested in a higher resolution, use nvidia downsample first, no need for another monitor.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Cheer up, your system's fine and money wasn't wasted :)

The games you listed happen to be pretty CPU heavy but you should still get a good experience with an i5.
    However like suggested invest a little bit into a heatpipe cooler and overclock your CPU, 4.5 GHz+ is very likely doable with Devil's Canyon.
    That will notably increase your per-core performance. Invest in a cooler even if you don't overclock, your CPU temps are too high.
    Don't forget to buy good quality thermal paste too, if you have the pre-applied paste on the stock cooler from 2014 that alone could cause high temps and possible further issues.

Also if you're going to get more memory, you could get a set of faster RAM while at it.
    Since Ivy Bridge you benefit from faster RAM. 2133 or 2400 MHz should be pretty much the sweet spot.
    RAM speed helps especially in CPU intensive games. 16 GB of 2133/2400 RAM will make quite a notable difference vs. 8 GB 1333. 8 GB is also bare minimum these days so you can run into hickups when a game needs to swap data from page file.

Clean install Windows (if it hasn't been clean installed since 2014 you could be surprised) first anyway before investing in hardware.

Also I noted you said maxed out settings in basically all games. Remember MSAA is a framerate killer no matter what kind of system you have.
    Try disabling MSAA and use SMAA/FXAA or T(X)AA, if available, instead.

I for one never enable MSAA in newer games, newer meaning basically anything post 2010ish. Know my system wouldn't cut it anyway.

Like said your system's fine but it seems a lot of little things add up to deter your experience.
    You most definitely should do better than your friend with a 1060 even if he has an i7 CPU. IMO.

18. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Your system should be just fine, that's why we are trying to get it to where it should be. About 2 years ago I had an R9 290, 4690k@4.2GHz and 8GB of 2133MHz RAM and games ran mostly okay. Upgraded the 290 to a 980Ti and games ran much better, and the 4690k did just fine for all the same games. Something else is up here, whether it is HDD related or your system RAM being too slow.

Once you have your fresh OS installed and setup you can show us some MSIAB graphs and maybe even take video of the exact issues you are telling us about. You may also want to have some kind of software (or the Win 10 task manager) open to monitor HDD usage when your issues occur. When I had issues in games back with my 290 I would Alt+Tab out soon after major stutters or FPS drops would happen and check my HDD usage.

19. Sovan

Sovan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 8GB
    Hi

Thanks for all your replies.

Firstly, I'm sorry for late reply as due to some backup issue, it delayed my task.

Yesterday I formatted my PC. I did a fresh install and also did a tweak. I have 2 hard drive (WD black & Blue 7200RPM) 1 TB each, in my BIOS i did a RAID 0 (Stripe). Now, I can't believe my two mechanical hard drives are performing like a SSD. The read & write speed reached almost 500 MB/sec. But, I'm worried a bit about my RAID 0, because if one of my drives fail then i'll loose all my files.

I'm also planning to purchase an after market cooler and OC my CPU at 4.5GHz. Lets hope for good. Though I don't even know how my system will perform after this tweak.

I also disabled many windows unnecessary features like cortana many others...also disabled many startup processes except MS services.

I disabled my windows defender as i though it may use my CPU resources. Currently, I don't have any antivirus or do i need it ?.

Now, I don't have installed any games but soon I'll and will post the result asap.

Some pictures captured during GPU-Z render test with my Geforce settings:

Render Test with GPU-Z with MSIAB: (Render Test duration - Max 10 min)

But i can't post it here as it is not allowing me, it says "To be able to post links or images your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 8 posts". Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.

I have all evidence of my test, but is there any other way to post?. Please let me know.

Last edited: May 10, 2017