Gamers Report Core i7-7700 / 7700K temperature spikes

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 4, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There's an ongoing number of reports on the web from owners with a Core i7 7700 and 7700K that experience temperature spikes. Under load at random the proc spikes close towards its designed thermal l...

Gamers Report Core i7-7700 temperature spikes

2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Holy crap i wonder if 7600K has same issue ... i have noticed anything simliar on my chip but i didnt observe it much as it is super coool....

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I don't believe that people with watercooled CPU's will still have a spike to 90C. Sounds more like there could be a mounting issue where the coolers don't fully make contact with the CPU. I ran into that with my old H100i. It needed extra washers to fully make contact otherwise it would randomly spike to 90-95C

4. interceptor

interceptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX780AMP
    after deliding, nothing like that happens with my 7700k
    NH-D15 on board :)

5. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    Also wonder if it could be an internal temperature sensor issue. Stock clocks and voltages on water cooling reporting 90c spikes sounds fishy.

6. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    Going to need a bigger cooling fan! But seriously perhaps the CPU cooler is not being properly installed with the right heat-sink paste.

7. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    This.

8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Temp spikes in OCCT are completely normal because if you look at the CPU Package Power in HWInfo Sensors you can see it jumping around, it does this on my 6700K - it's completely normal, it's the test (OCCT). I'm not sure why the OCCT graphs are included, I don't see it as any kind of meaningful information, for reason just described - the basis for the complaints isn't based on OCCT is it?

EDIT: just ran OCCT for 5 mins to double check. Individual core temperatures fluctuate by a large amount up to just over 20 degC difference (temperature fluctuations of any given core, fluctuations within itself - not compared to other cores). CPU Package temperatures fluctuate in region of 10 degC.

EDIT 2: just ran Prime95(v26.6) for 5 mins as a comparison to OCCT above. Temperature fluctuations were a LOT lower: 6 degC temperature fluctuation of any given core, and 4 degree temperature fluctuation of CPU Package.

That's a big difference between the two tests, OCCT creates massive temperature fluctuations, so if the complaints are just based on seeing fluctuations in OCCT, then I don't think the complaints are founded.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Never happened with my 7600K. But several reviews pointed out that the 7700K runs much hotter than the 7600K, don´t know if it matters for this case.

10. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I dunno every chip is different, there could be a batch of dodgy chips out there, while it might not be widespread it seems to be happening to enough users to warrant an investigation, those spikes don't look normal.

11. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Most of the heat gets trapped between die and IHS, because Intel do not use solder bewteen them like AMD. So, without delidding, the difference between water and decent air cooling is none.

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    But why 7700k would run much hotter than 7600k ? It's not big difference between the chips at least not that much.

My never reaches above 60C and it's OC to 4.8Ghz ( voltage is default tho..)

13. Paul Sygowski

Paul Sygowski Guest

GPU:
    Corsair Vengaence 16GB
    CPU Overtemps

If any of you have decent PC knowledge then my advice would be to get a De-Lid kit and use it, I lost 22 degress on my i7 7700k and never break 45-50c overclocked to 5.0ghz with my H00i v2 at 1.35v with my memory at 3200mhz. Send me questions if needed and i'll post picture on the process I used. Good Luck!

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Maybe it´s because of Hyper Threading??? If i remember correctly the 7700K needs much more voltage than the 7600K to reach the same clocks: https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/01/03/intel-core-i7-7700k-i5-7600k-review/8

15. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Looks like Overclocked "new series" i7 6700(aka i7 Kaby Lake) suffer from ...overclocking. :D
    i7 7700K suffer from bad TIM compund and need to be delided.
    And remember: i7 7700 have vPro&IME&AMT,but 7700K dont have it.

Good to know the i5 7600k OC work well. :)

Last edited: May 4, 2017

16. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Had spikes like that, on my h115i, well not to 90, but 85,86 degrees, changed to nh d15 and my issues are gone, have lower temps also, but for me it was another issue most likely.

17. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    I have 7700K@4.5GHz synced all cores at turbo. I was lucky to have a nice chip which needs as much as 1.168v max voltage at load.
    I have nice temps at idle (29c) and as well as load (60c) using Noctua D15S.
    But I have observed CPU core temp fluctuate from 26c to 41c at Windows startup and also sometimes randomly at desktop. But when I check Task Manager I see some processes with jack up the CPU usage (like Microsoft Antimalware, System Process, Windows Update Manager, etc.) so I'd guess it is a Windows issue rather than CPU flaw.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As others have stated, the fact that liquid cooled systems are having the same problem strongly suggests this must be a glitch. I'm not sure how recent this problem is (or if it always occurred) but the 7700K has been around for long enough that it makes me wonder if maybe a BIOS or microcode update is to blame.

Did anyone even attempt to check other temperature sensors to see if they got affected?

19. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Had this exact same issue with my 6700k when I first got it. After a bios update it no longer happened. Obviously doesn't mean it's the same cause.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Never had it and never will. I use RealTemp configured to shut down my system at target temp (92c CPU, 90c GPU).