Windows 10 S Users Cannot Switch Default Browser or Search Engine

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 3, 2017.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The iso is nothing but data. I'm sure Windows 10 S still needs to be licensed.

You can get the iso all you want, but if there is no license attached to it or a licensed that has been flagged due to being used so many times then you're back at square one. You might as well should just download the Windows 10 iso from the creation tool, and run it without buying a license. You just can't change the color of the desktop lol.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Yeah i guess it must be the S edition specifically for these things.
    if it was normal w10 they would have a problem.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I have never run an unlicensed copy of a modern Windows, but I thought it offers you a chance to buy a license for real? Or does it just stop working? If it offers a chance to buy the license, then you could just buy it (however little the S would be) and upgrade it to Home right after. Of course if it's as much as Home straightaway, then it would be pointless.

4. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Quit trying to bring logic into this argument. Just because other companies are allowed to force you to use their browser doesn't mean that Microsoft is allowed to do the exact same thing. If Microsoft does something, it has to be wrong.

oh wait..:bang:

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As stated in the article about Windows 10 S yesterday, Chrome OS doesn't force you to use Chrome, and, people actually go out of their way to acquire Chrome. Proportionately, there are a lot more people who avoid Edge than Chrome. Not saying Edge is a bad browser, but it is a lot less reliable and feature-rich than Chrome.

People have reasons to complain about MS. Windows 10 S is something that takes a familiar environment and forces you to do things MS's way. Chrome OS doesn't force you to do anything, and it's not like Google is really making a whole lot of money from their own store or their own products.

Think of it in this perspective - would you rather:
    A. Buy a product with limited capabilities, but does everything it says says it will, and does not restrict the user from doing more with it.
    B. Buy a product for the same price that is roughly as capable (out-of-the-box) but you know for a fact is arbitrarily and intentionally crippled.

To the average user, both products are roughly equally good. But in principle, option B is a worse choice.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It will. This is a specialized edition, it's not for general consumption and whoever gets it knows what they're getting.

Hey buddy, try changing the default browser in ChromeOS and see what happens. :infinity:

7. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Windows 10 will run still, you just cannot change the theme color or the wallpaper using the settings tab. You can always right click an image and set as wallpaper though. You will also have a watermark in the corner all the time.

And Microsoft will not sell licenses for 10 S publicly, only through partner channels. Meaning to get Windows 10 S, you have to buy a laptop that has it installed already.

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Yes and no... you still can have Opera as app too... the OS stuck with Chrome but you can have app so it is 50/50.

9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There are also browsers already in the Store, and unlike the Apple store they can use their own rendering engines.

10. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    Windows 10 S will eventually replace the home version, this is due to the store failure, they can't make quality products anymore so they will try to force a success with the S version.

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    :3eyes:

12. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Little by little they are chipping away at user choice.

Nothing new here.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Since the majority of users are dumb, whether that is a bad thing needs to be analysed on a per case basis.

After reading the article, it's pretty much saying you are stuck with Bing if you use Edge and if you use Chrome then you still have to use Edge when opening html files.

Essentially on 10S you can use Chrome/Firefox etc.. if you want, and Google as a search engine.
    Or am i reading this wrong?

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  14. ahossein

ahossein Member

GPU:
    1080 G1
    After having a clean install of W10, I can no longer set Chrome as default, Windows will force Edge to be the default browser no matter what.

15. ahossein

ahossein Member

GPU:
    1080 G1
    After having a clean install of Windows 10, I can no longer set Chrome as default, Windows fill force Edge to be the default browser no matter what.

16. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Chrome is still the default browser on all of my computers with Win 10 with the latest update.

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    [​IMG]

This is with a clean installation of the Creators Update. The selection works after restart for all browsers listed.

[​IMG]

As for the point about removing choice, this is the point of this Windows release, like this is the point of ChromeOS.

The only problem it has is that it isn't released for ARM yet and we can't get ~$250 notebooks with it. How is user choice removed by having more SKU options? Why is nobody not focusing on actual crap that Microsoft does, like moving Office into a subscription service that needs to be paid in perpetuity?

18. ahossein

ahossein Member

GPU:
    1080 G1
    Thanks, I've just checked, there is a browser tap, and I selected Chrome...

19. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Again, this will not affect the major user base of Windows 10. This is going to be a small market considering how big the Windows 10 ecosystem is.

Even then, in the first year of the launch of Windows 10 S(At least for the Surface Laptop) you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Then after that, just a simple cost of $49. If you think about it, if you're willing to drop $1000 on basically an ultrabook with a nice ass resolution an extra $49 probably isn't going to be an issue for you.

Also with schools and other public systems which this is one field it is geared towards with volume licensing this will not have any affect on them. What I am curious about is can this version of Windows 10 join a domain? Windows 10 home cannot, and most places will want their own security and AD applications on their machines. So this might actually be useless for schools or any system that uses AD.