AMD Radeon RX Vega Details Surface In Linux Patch - 4096 Shader procs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 3, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Demrock

Demrock Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Boost 7950x2
    That doesnt look like its going to beat a 1080ti sadly :(

I still hope it can but these specs feel underwhelming at first glance :(

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It does not need to beat 1080ti. It needs to offer similiar performance at lower price.

4. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Looking at that spec sheet, it is like a sli 570 XD Might cry a little if this ends up being the case, i highly doubt it. but it would be funny for us to wait so long for a duo card

5. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    12.5 Tflops, HBM, double the amount of pretty much everything, ~1.5ghz, over 1/2 a TERAbyte of memory bandwidth!

Sounds pretty good to me, hopefully it is priced nicely. If it is, it'll likely replace these two 970's.

6. rush21hit

rush21hit Guest

GPU:
    RX 460 2GB Sapphire
    So it has the same graphic computational resource as Fiji, suppose it still retain the same arch in essence. If only we have clockspeed and memory config it carries any well informed would gives better guesstimate.

But at this point, I dare guess it'll be somewhere at 1070 level considering.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why 1070 level?

It's 12.5 Tflops, which puts it's theoretical maximum slightly above a Titan XP. I doubt AMD will get everything out of it, especially in DX11 - but it will almost definitely trade blows with the Ti/XP in DX12 and may take some titles in DX11 too.

I also think it's going to be priced at $650. There are already Ti's selling for $680 - I expect those prices to drop even further after Vega launches.

8. lord_zed

lord_zed Active Member

GPU:
    980ti MOD 1500/8000 LC
    You must have been living in a dream world if You expecrted it to beat 1080ti...
    It will be bit faster than 1080 in dx11 but in DX12 well that where Vega should shine since Pascal is not a dx12 card :)

All depends if AMD wont go STUPID with pricinf like they dis with Fury X...

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Weird considering I play a number of DX12 games on my Pascal card.

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Must be that nvidia drivers are emulating AMD card via drivers surely!

Well if the clock speeds are on point for this it should be quite a bit faster then Fury X was.

I have no clue where people get 1070 level. Considering Fury X is around that level especially in dx12 and so on.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its only an emulation, haha.

Sorry i know you hate that word. :D

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Why? The way it looks it probably be very close. In AMD-friendly titles it most likely will. The die size is also interesting, a tiny bit larger than the 1080Ti. I wonder what that means for the future.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Preach Hilbert!

Ppl need to understand that the only reason why Nvidia can clocks the bejesus out of the Pascal is the low leakage and optimized perf/Watt onchip operations.
    That is the reason behind the "clock gap".

I can already hear them.
    - Oh but we don't care about our power-bill.
    - Physics care, u bozo :D

14. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    I really think AMD bottleneck their own cards with low amount of ROPS with too many TMU there need to be a better balance, or they really betting hard on DX12 and Async to make up for it.

I Thought the big boy would have atleast 6144 shaders and 128ROPS +320TMU now that would be a 1080TI killer...

15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's really triangle throughput and single-threaded submitted draw calls that are bottlenecking AMD cards. Polaris has almost fixed the triangle part, Vega will do even more for that. My personal question is about the new memory controller and command processor. If it manages to feed the more flexible SIMDs properly, we might even have an efficiency surprise in our hands.

I still believe that the initial benchmarks will disappoint, but this will end up to be the card to get, as is tradition.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Nope.

AMD knows their ****. You think these guys are that clueless? To make a utterly unbalanced product.

Polaris does show some dips compared to Hawaii at higher res, but its minimal really.
    And could easily be explained by Polaris bandwidth deficit.

17. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    What does this mean? That's a card name?

18. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Just because it has a same arrangement of shaders, TMU and ROP units it doesn't mean that VEGA = FIJI It's also not just Fiji with higher clock and smaller node. Vega has a new scheduler, new pixel and vertex engine, tile based rasterizer, new more flexible compute unit, new memory controller...

That's about the same absurd as saying Volkswagen Up! with 1.0 engine is the same as Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X with a 2.0 Turbo engine, just because they both have 4 cylinders.

19. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    AMD gains a a bit from async compute, more than nVIDIA in most titles. The only software where nVIDIA's gains are large is TimeSpy. Which is why that benchmark is a write-off to me.

AMD was honest about its comparison even to maxwell cards, when it came to DX12, neither cards support all the APIs features.

20. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Judging by the specs it should knock the f*ck out the 1080ti. If that's not the case then i ****ing pity AMD with their GPU lineup. Why would you invest this time and money into a GPU that's as fast as rx480 crossfire.:bang::bang: