Review: ASUS ROG Radeon RX 580 STRIX 8GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How is it pointless? Why is everyone saying things are "obsolete" and "pointless" when they are slightly behind? Techpowerup (i would use guru3d but tpu has that performance summary) benched 22 titles and a FE 1060 is only 5% behind a factory overclocked Nitro+ RX580 (1450Mhz). The 1060 uses a peak of 125w while the Nitro uses 240w.

And even if it was more, say 10-15% how does that suddenly make something pointless? What are the price differences between the two? What other features are Nvidia/AMD adding to their cards (my complaint isn't limited to just one company or the other). What games are being offered with the cards? What power usage are both cards?

Don't get me wrong - 580 and honestly moreso the 570 are great cards. I just don't get why everything has to be so absolute.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    If they would changed to HBM they would improve performance and power and maybe don't needs to overclock, sorry AMD, i'll will buy a lowered price RX470/480 is enought for 1080p/2K gamming without increase much my system power...

3. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    I really don't get why AMD does this re-badging crap every couple of years. I don't think this was a product worth creating over the RX480, the funds that were spent creating the RX580 should have been utilized towards expediting Vega, in my opinion.

we didn't need "another" value GPU from AMD, we need a new enthusiast GPU from them, if anything.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I've been watching it close and everything I've "seen" it do is match Fiji. As most gameplay stuff has been locked at 60FPS in favorable titles.

I'm just apprehensive at this point.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What power consumption? as long as its ~ 200W or lower, no big deal.

Some are just taking things way out of proportion.

lol mine apparently eats up to 325W and Im still fine with 650W psu..:pc1::nerd:

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think it will be decent.

AMD said that the MI25 is capable of 25Tflops half precision with the new packed math cores. That puts it 12.5tflops single precision. Most of the rumors point to it having the same core count as Fiji, 4096. To hit the 12.5Tflops it would have to be at ~1.5ghz which seems doable given these chips being nearly there.

At 12.5 Tflops that's roughly a 40% increase in shader performance over the Fury X. TPU's relative performance chart shows the Fury X about 42% slower than a FE 1080Ti @ QHD. So even if AMD made zero changes to overall IPC it would still be at about Ti performance levels. The question is whether the other changes AMD made will increase IPC or just eliminate bottlenecks to saturate that additional 40% shader performance. Some of the features may actually slow performance - tile rasterization for example actually has a slight overall performance hit but helps alleviate bottlenecks in other areas. I personally think it will land slightly under (5-10%) a 1080Ti but will probably be priced at $600.

I also don't expect it to be delayed. Out by the end of next month. I think the guy from Tech of Tomorrow misspoke - he talked about being tired when doing the review.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  7. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    They should have just named it rx480+ instead of rebranding to a higher number

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    RX380 would of been HD7950++

Its marketing who decide numbers. They want to make rebrands be less negative and more positive.

9. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    That's right, and I've held off buying a new GPU for a while hoping to see the launch of Vega. It's been too long and so Monday I bought a 1080 ti. "Vega is just around the corner." yeah yeah yeah... I can only take so much carrot dangling.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Almost catching up to the Fury GPU now with a decent overclock on these, still pulls ahead in more demanding scenarios though but still impressive to see although power usage went up even for the reference 580's it seems.
    (Switching from a 6-pin to a 8-pin should help with power limitations too but it might have been necessary for the increased power draw either way.)

EDIT: Though the Fury isn't doing too hot in newer DX11 games so not too surprising I guess, still want to see what AMD can do with Vega but that's still a ways off from what I've read although it would be nice to have something for the higher-end GPU segment from AMD even if it might not be able to quite match the 1080 or it's 1080Ti variant. (Or perhaps it will, guess we'll see but I don't expect it to faster by much if at all though some decent competition between AMD and Nvidia in the high-end segment would be nice.)

EDIT: Though "merely" reaching up to the same performance of the aging Fury might not be that impressive I guess but for a mid-range card it's pretty good plus it only has like a bit over half of those GCN cores (2000+ some instead of 4096 of the full FuryX.) though it makes up for it with the higher GPU core clock speed and some hardware tweaks.

For 1920x1080 / 1920x1200 it's a pretty good performer although at 2560x1440 well you'll want to drop settings in the newer games or it's ~30 FPS.
    (Bit better for DX12 and then Vulkan stands out but DOOM uses it pretty well and AMD kinda has issues with OpenGL too.)

11. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I was going to say nice card till i looked up the prices of it here in the UK, costs only £30's less than a GTX1070 with complete crushes it :/

Don't know why they made a card this expensive, though maybe the prices will drop shortly after the first bump. they can't be selling cards for almost as much as a 1070. Good performance either way, think it out performs the 1060, on the majority of newer games specially if they use DX12

Though is there much differences between this card and say and overclocked RX480?

12. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    The card has been shown matching 1080 performance if not slightly ahead.
    Nvidia wouldn't have launched 1080Ti and Titan Xp if they didn't knew what is coming.

Holly ****, I'd have a heart attack at the electricity bill.

That would be confusing with some brands already using +
    Maybe RX485?

If you had 2x980 in SLI, I doubt you'd go for Vega anyway so why bother? Enjoy your card.

I was stunned by their price here in Portugal too: Asus RX580 8Gb costs +330€. But a 1070 costs +430€ too.

The RX570 is at a good price though, and I don't think the difference justifies.

13. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I have no idea how much electricity costs in your country but let's assume its 10 cents an kWh (which should be close to the truth), and instead of having a low power gpu (100-150W) you have this one with 350W and it runs 10 hours a day for 30 days at full load for full consumption, that would still be $6 more at the end of the month.

And if that gives you a heart attack, then seeing the price of popcorn in the cinema should instantly kill you.

14. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Here electricity costs 0.174906€/kWh (with tax 23%)
    My GPU uses 0.177kWh
    Gaming 4 hours a day costs 3.72€ a month.
    With a 1080Ti would cost 5.86€ a month.
    25.68€ difference in one year. Ya, not much difference.

Now take in proportion Portuguese minimum wager is 557€ (before tax).

PS1: Your math is wrong: 0.350Khw*$0.1*10H*30D=10.5 not 6.
    PS2: I can't afford going to the cinema.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

Exactly. I took that number based on bios tdp, in reality I never see it near 300w. Usually 220-275w or so judging by msi ab powerlimit %..

I think my whole system doesnt use more then 450w, thats with incl 4.7ghz cpu oc. I bet his 2500k can use more.

16. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I said "more", since your GPU consumes at least 150W, then the math would be 0.200kWh which would in end make 6$ difference. Your math would be right if you are using the integrated GPU.
    Also here the minimum wage is 210euro after tax (not that it is relevant in any case).

17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with AMD's strategy.

However, if the table was turned and it was Nvidia doing this for GTX1170 = GTX1070 and GTX1180 = GTX1080...I honestly think the internet would go ape s***, even if prices were kept the same. Seriously...

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You mean like the GTX 680 to the GTX 770 and the GTX 660 to the GTX 760, or the Sisyphean torture of the 8800?

19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Well, if they drop the 2nd number, then, it's not so bad. I just feel Nvidia would get bad press if they did it now.

20. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Intel been doing it for more than half decade. New sockets along with side grade performance.

Nvidia can also do that, or they can actually release new hardware to secure their profit.

AMD probably just desperate for attention, that why its respinning its products. And Vega probably gonna be high-end product, so there will be time gap in mid-tier GPU.