The GTX 1080-Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DStealth

DStealth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GX 1080Ti@2088/12000
    The monitor is fine, just the PSU unit of it has some kind of surge protection activated...just succeed to turn it on.
    As for the card, if the new one is worse OCer will do the mod for sure, if better also...in any case will mode it :nerd:

2. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Well just be careful because melting cards is not nice.

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    That was a pretty good OC'er though, on my 1070 I can't manage over 2100 on core, I'll be happy if my 1080 Ti will be in the 2050 range. :p

I'm curious how fast they replace it for you, here at least the MSI Gaming is super rare in stock.

4. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Who would have thought resistors have a purpose and effectively removing them could have consequences to your hardware and not just your video card. You buy a card so do what you want but the moment you fry it and try to clean up your mess and send it back like nothing happened, at that moment you are scum. Want to play like a big boy act like a big boy and own up to your own mistakes don't make other people pay for them. That's my two cents.

5. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Received my 1080Ti's..:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Hewhospeaksmuch

Hewhospeaksmuch Guest

GPU:
    1080TI
    Got mine today, so far so good.

I haven't touched any settings as far as drivers go

Just wondering if this Time Spy score is about where my card should be stock,

Graphics Score 9,602

Post count too low to link.

Thanks in advance.

7. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    That case is massive !.
    That reminds when one friend used to bring his pc to lan parties, a watercooled lian li a75 full tower with 3 way sli, dual socket, multiple radiators ect ... it needed two people to carry that beast ahahah

8. VanuSovereignty

VanuSovereignty Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Man did you not learn your lesson?

There was nothing defective with the card. You fried a perfectly fine piece of hardware with the shunt-mod, someone familiar with electrical engineering even commented over on OC.net that the component that fried was related to the 8 pin power delivery, meaning, directly related to TOO MUCH POWER coming into the card via shunt mod.

You do the same thing again and you will experience the same failure.

How many cards will you need to burn to realize that this is stupid?

Another user there, "SlimJ87D" foolishly did the shunt mod and this is their quote on the gain:

"I can sneak form experience, an FE clocked at the same clocks as an aib will perform 1-2% different

I just shunt my card and although clocks are consistent and I'm not being powerful limited, it's just a 1%-3% improvement.

But if you have a golden FE it can really hold you back. The FE cannot do above 2100 Mhz and above without power limit. But again, hitting 2100 Mhz is still rare and not easy."

As I said 2% gain is NOT worth destroying this hardware. Who do you think is going to pay for this, you think MSI is some super rich money grubbing corporation? I mean, they have to cover costs of making these things and their profit margins aren't very big to be perfectly honest. The employees don't get paid that much. So yeah, youre basically ripping off a company. If you had any respect for this company I wouldn't do this stupid **** again.

Thats like me saying "oh yeah, I love EVGA products" and then I go out and shunt-mod and destroy about 6 GPU's in a row.

That's just the financial expense side of things. There is the environmental impact as well. There is a massive amount of embodied energy and water, and the chemicals associated with their manufacturing process. The aren't formed out of thin air by pixie dust.

So for 1-3% performance gain youre basically taking a big **** on the environment and the company you purchased your GPU from. Youre not an engineer. Youre going to bump your power consumption up from 300 to what 350+W for another 2% performance gain? Are you retarded?

lowtechmagazine.com/2009/06/embodied-energy-of-digital-technology.html

This isn't cool dude.

Start using your f'ing brain please.

9. VanuSovereignty

VanuSovereignty Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I agree 100%. I have posted similar sentiment but because of my post count it wont appear until after moderator approval.

This kind of idiotic behavior needs to be discouraged, and if no-one else will do it, I suppose I will.

10. DStealth

DStealth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GX 1080Ti@2088/12000
    Yep... the same apples to my country too neighbor...the distributor imported only 2 cards and a friend of mine took the first I took the second, his card is 2 straps worst OCer....not that bad but 2050/2063 max stable gaming core. So I have to wait till the next import or take other brand as a replacement... :3eyes:

11. shamus21

shamus21 Member Guru

GPU:
    Well after seeing that my enthusiasm for buying a 1080ti has vanished.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I don't know those guys, they never really come to my door as I'm not home (@ work), and even if somebody's home when they are supposed to deliver on a day off, twice I had the pleasure of the delivery guy not ringing my bell but dropping the parcel off somewhere else :rolleyes:

Still sorry to hear you had so much trouble. But as it looks, a shunt mod is not that harmless ;)
    (Just to clarify, shunt mod with soldering and not power target modding via liquid metal, as a noob's question :D)

Yeah I can relate. Turns out I had to buy my mainboard three times before I learned my lesson.

Going for overkill again are you? :D hf!

Because... of what? You know that he hardware modded his stuff, so it's not really the card you buy in a store anymore? :rolleyes:

13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    On my rig between 2050mhz and 2000mhz OC difference was 1-2fps in average in all the benches.

Ive settled down at 2012 for good now, mine isnt a great overclocker as gets unstable after 2050, however this card should be Solid up until Volta TI (when ever that comes...)

Other then that, have fun guys, its a great card indeed.

14. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Is that 2 slot spacing between the cards odellot ?
    I myself is getting them to, i am just worried about the heat that will build up between them cards, and i see u only have 1 slot in between ?

This is my current set-up as u can see i have plenty of space between them non-ti,s.

I wonder how much difference the gap wil be when i have them ti,s if its still 2 slot space between them or not, because they are fatter for sure them ti,s.

Neverless congratz with the cards man :) i cant wait to get mine, i am just worried about the heat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  15. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    That's unfortunate.
    What was the power slider at when you did the shunt mod? They tend to blowup If you raise the power slider after the shunt.

16. DStealth

DStealth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GX 1080Ti@2088/12000
    Always to the maximum :)
    In my case MSI has +117% relating to 330w peak.
    My card was consuming during benchmarks ~ 400w with the mod, but died after 2 hours of game-play with less than 300w consumption ...

17. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    +110% Is the max you want to go after the shunt which should net you around 350w.
    400w! Is a lot for those cards & Is considered dangerous territory, It might be a bad part though. oh well hopefully your next card will be a better one.

18. DStealth

DStealth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GX 1080Ti@2088/12000
    GB Auros has a peak limit of 375w...
    Yes 400w are dangerous zone for sure but as I wrote the card died with less than it's peak of 330w
    Edit: I don't hope for a better card, just the same will be perfect but I doubt i will fine such...stock air with limits TS/FSU 2088/2100@1.043v and benchable 2114/2139@1.093v...w/o limits
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    GB Auros has a higher quality pcb so It can handle the load better,nonetheless that's Impressive for an air cooled card.

20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC

I think you will be fine, just be prepared for the upper card to be like 15~ C hotter, or at least it should be a bigger temperature difference than between 2x1080s since those are only 2 slot and this is almost 3 slot design. You could also make a more aggressive fan profile in AB if you are worried.

You will be very lucky if your next card will OC as good as the one that died, for Pascal anything that can hit 2100 on core with just normal OC should be considered "golden". I will be happy if mine will go to 2050 (like my 1070), yours was a beast. But hey, are very, very demanding when it comes to squeezing every drop of juice out of your hardware, so good luck! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.