Microsofts April Security Update Blocks Windows update in 7 and 8.1 for new CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 14, 2017.

1. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Wat???

2. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Why do people find it so hard to disable the BITS and Windows update service. :bang:

3. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    When you gave it the proper hardware, it was anything but bloated and slow. Of course, folks figured it should work on XP level hardware because, after all, XP did, right?

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No, I actually don't. But I know that they can collect whatever they want anyway, without even telling us or giving the option to close it. Having these options makes me much more optimistic about it. Also the business side of their company would tank if they did what you say. That's one of the reasons they are suing the US government.

5. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    In Windows 10 it re-enables itself, so not an option. Severing the net is the only thing that works. A PC without net is useless in today's world.

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    True Vista with the right hardware really made it fast. I had an HP OEM system that had a Core 2 Duo E8400 and 8GB of PC2 6400 RAM and it ran Vista Home Business SP2 very well.

7. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    well, they got to be where they are now and they haven't collected data. Why would they tank now? :3eyes:
    And yes, they could have TRIED to collect whatever they want but they would have gotten caught, like they were caught when they started putting out win 10 out there.

Anyway, personaly, I don't care what they do. I do use win 10 and have disabled most of the "new" stuff and bloatware so it's no big deal for me. Though honestly, I think I might revert to win 8.1. It was snappier and faster overall. At least for me. :pc1:

8. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Their greatest source of income is businesses trusting them with their data. If they abuse that, they are done.

It was never a secret that Windows 10 would use anonymized telemetry to plan for features and set performance targets. You are also kidding yourself if you believe that the OS couldn't sneak whatever it wanted, anytime.

What I really don't like about 10 is the bundled games and social apps. I should say that I don't like seeing them, because they don't "run" in the traditional sense anyway. I actually like the platform as a whole, and I am using UWP apps.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    If you disable Windows Defender and Windows Update service the Windows Update service will not turn back on...

I know this because my laptop has Windows 10 with Windows update disabled since August last year for the reason of wanting to retain the version of Windows the laptop was purchased with, it has not re-enabled itself and it is running just fine.

10. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Oh, we were talking data collection, but we were thinking about different things. I was thinking windows 10 telemetry and private users, not businesses. As for sneaking whatever they want, well, you could say that is true if you trust that same system to also catch the packets that are going out. ;)
    It was known that win 10 will have telemetry, but they were sending out more than they disclosed (ie. keystrokes) and they did get caught. Only then is when they disclosed everything that they are sending out. Or maybe not... :D We shall see.

11. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    I just hate the pop up..

Its possible somehow disable that annoying popup every boot?
    Its about all updates or only some of them?

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Keystrokes were only sent if Windows was set to learn how you type. There is no other way to do keyboard training.

13. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    That makes no sense. Not what you typed, but what that actually means. Why the hell would windows learn "how to type" ? It's an OS, not an AI....Believe what you will, but I don't buy m$ "reasons" for a second. If you do, we will have to agree to disagree :)

PS. Mine was set to "learn" by default. If I didn't install with intention (and a slew of tools to disable nonsense that they (m$) need, and I don't) of disabling all their crap and bring it to level of 8.1 (or less) I would be very pissed at them.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  14. Uniblab12t

Uniblab12t Guest

GPU:
    Researching...
    Why are so many of us ok with a blatent forced upgrade cycle. If I understand the info correctly, microsoft is purposely diasbling updates for only the latest cpu's. Earlier cpus are still being updated - until 2020. So if I have Win7 installed on a skylake cpu or earlier, I get at least 3 more years of updates. If I have Win7 installed on a Kabylake cpu and whatever comes next, updates are prohibited. This is a corporate decision that has made x86 compatability obsolete and why? If Win7 will run on a kaby platform (bet techs will figure out a workaround), the only reason to disable updates is a corporate one.What is soo important to microsoft that x86 years of compatability is broken. Is "wintel" behind this? Even though Amd chips of the newest generations fit the exclusions, the wintel machine is the one that will motivate situations like this.
    If I dont want to run "Edge" I dont get 4K streaming, even with a Kaby Win10 platform - related to the latest drm, managements. If I install Win10 I may have to accept a certain amount of keylogging. Is the push to Win 10 for the newest platforms so more personal data may be hijacked under the guise of better advertising? Whats going on behind the scenes?

15. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    No, you can get newest CPUs and get updates manually. There is nothing in those updates that make any of the amd/intel cpu's work better. Never was. Only drivers and kernel updates can do that. For kernel update you need a big windows update, that will take more than just regular update, and drivers are up to manufacturers.
    This whole thing is just microsoft trying to push windows 10 - again.

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is a one-core OS that is used in tablets and phones too. Predictive typing is a core feature, and it actually works a bit like a neural network. Google's and Apple's work the same.

It is set to "learn" by default. They should ask in the beginning actually. The Creators Update OOBE has the question right at the start.

17. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I got a windows phone for my mother, friends told me it's the easiest one for the older people. Anyway, predictive typing makes sense on the phone. Like you said, it's already being done. For years if I may add. I don't see how you could possibly make an OS that installs on PC (not on phone/tablet, save for Surface that almost noone has) not understand that it isn't installed on a touchscreen phone device. Hell, even on android, dictionary and predctive input works in offline mode, doesn't send that data anywhere...So again, I am almost sure they are just lying.

And yes, they should ask if you want this during installation. What is weird is, newer installations (since their debacle with "spying" at launch) DO have options about what do you want to send to microsoft and you can turn off some features. "Learning" typing, afaik, is not one of them.

Idk about creators. Not available to me yet. Not that I need it anyway. I create stuff with adobe software....and other 3rd party software. Hell, I even use open office. Why pay to microsoft for something as basic as that. It's not 1994....

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It does work in offline mode. The data goes to them to improve it. There are a ton of touchscreen Windows devices. Almost all new laptops are touchscreen convertibles, and you can even get Chinese Windows 10 tablets of surprising quality for peanuts (~$200). Which means that the "desktop" OS has to have these features, otherwise they need to maintain four different codebases.

19. roseawebs

roseawebs Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 1GB
    Win 7 do not create much problem but win 10 just ridiculous. I am using Bafx bluetooth scanner for my car and it working perfectly https://theeffectiveguide.com/bafx-34t5-review/ . This small device perfectly work with your car and windows!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  20. Uniblab12t

Uniblab12t Guest

GPU:
    Researching...
    I have a feeling that there is something else going on also, considering that they have something like 150,000 employees and I bet 90% of them are in front of a computer terminal. Bad joke but, with the faux-pas that microsoft has coded in previous versions of windows, they have the exact typing population that they need to find out about typing errors.

It feels sneaky.:mad: