Intel 300 series chipsets to integrate USB 3.1 Gen 2 and Gigabit Ethernet

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Whats the Gigabit Ethernet headline about? Its not otherwise mentioned in the article or the Intel sheet, or was it meant to refer to the WiFi, not actual Ethernet?

(Who cares about WiFi on a desktop PC anyway?)

3. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Unless Intel decides to move forward and bring hexa cores i5/i7s on this platform this will be another boring minor "upgrade" to only justify the 300 sticker on it.

4. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    OK now this 300 series platform I feel is taking the piss a little

Is there any reason why CoffeeLake won't work on Z200 series!? And why wasn't USB 3.1 Gen2 natively on Z200 series to begin with!?

Whats makes this even stranger is Intels inclusion of KabylakeX 4 core on the X299 platform when their seemingly introducing 6 cores to mainstream

5. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    So you will through out your Z270 MB just to get Integrated USB 3.1 and Gigabit WiFi? Sounds like a waste of money again.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't get it. Obviously there are people upgrading from older platforms than Z270. So what do you want them to do for a platform update? Just delay it until there are enough features that make it worth it for the previous platform owners? Because that seems like a poor business decision and ****ty for everyone else who now has to wait because someone who bought Z270 is upset that they are being tempted by two new features.

7. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    Gigabit WiFi in an enterprise/office setting will be hugely popular. Places where it is difficult to run cable but needs network connectivity, etc.

8. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    While I "think" I'm done with Intel once ITX Ryzen Mobos are available, this is a good evolution of the chipset. Built-in WiGig will be great, and hopefully with 3.1 Gen 2 USB-C becomes a PC standard.

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So from what i understand, the new chipset will maintain the current socket 1151, does this means that there´s a small chance that Cannonlake cpus will work on current Z170/Z270 boards???

As for the new features, they are cool, nothing more.

10. eddward

eddward Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 GAMING X
    First of all Cannonlake has to come to the desktop segment. I really think they will jump straight to Ice Lake as the first 10nm desktop SKU.
    And even if Cannonlake desktop will appear in 2018, these Z170 boards will be ~3 years old so basically out of support anyway.

11. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    dont think gen2 already available on Z200 release, thats why it still gen1
    i just hear about it recently

anyway in most common case, people wont going use full speed either
    gen1 is 5gbps... gen2 10gbps so theoretical maximum speed same to thunderbolt gen1
    most device will give bottleneck than the port first
    like usb hdd or thumbdrive wont get that fast, even you buy the high-end model

for socket, well its intel culture more than other reason i guess lol
    maybe their deal with mobo-maker or else... we dont know for sure

12. kroks

kroks Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER
    "Gigabit" Wi-Fi for desktop?!
    Give me 10GbE !!

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So their HEDT platform will be x299, which implies it'll be in the 200 series, which implies it won't have USB 3.1 (gen2), or etc. but all the purposefully outdated technology of the 200 series?

I don't understand.

The fact that the 200 series itself does not have features such as USB 3.1 (gen2) and is a 2017 chipset itself is astonishing.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  14. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    Damn, it took 10 years more than any other device to get onboard wifi.

I dont use neither like wifi on desktop, but is a MUST. It s a joke needing an ethernet cable this days. Most casual pc users dont even know what an ethernet cable is or how is connected.

Hope they put wifi on every 300 chipset.

Tvs, streaming media players, phones, consoles, even the freaking fridge has wifi.

But the most advanced and productive piece of technolgy on your house, been lacking wifi for more than 10 years. Shame on you manufacturers.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I would be extremely surprised if X299 does not have native 3.1 Gen 2.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I would want to say i agree, but then why would it not be part of the 300 series family, the only one to state it will?

unless they are just going by the idea that x299 does not imply it's part of the 200 series, in which case, wtf is even the point in the naming?

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This platform will obviously be presented for "serious" gamers too, hence the presence of quadcores. It will most likely be more expensive than the current X99, but people who get quads for the raw notepad framerates will have a theoretical upgrade path that can last them more than the usual year that the mainstream platforms have.