Review: Seagate ARCHIVE 8TB HDD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    If you need a lot of GB for cash then the Seagate ARCHIVE 8TB HDD might be your thing. We review the Seagate ARCHIVE 8 TB HDD. Though SSDs are the thing to purchase these days, if you need massive bul...

Review: Seagate ARCHIVE 8TB HDD

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Does it make annoying chirping head parking noises like pretty much all (if not all) newish Seagate HDDs?

3. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    If this drive gets used correctly it shouldn't matter if it farts a couple of times per day let alone chirp.
    This drive if people don't know is meant for infrequent data access and/or long term data dumps. I use a ton of them at work for our dumps for projects that have long been not needed. And my 20ish of them don't chirp. Not to nuthug Seagate or anything btw. I have tons of drives from WD, Seagate, and HGST.

4. Little

Little Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 2.1/15.8
    I've had mine for 6-7 months now. It does chirp every hour or so. I have mine to never spin down. It seems to do it much much more frequently if your room is cold 65 F or below

5. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    got five of these in a raid5 configuration for a little over a year now and no failures or issues so far. performance wise, they are only so-so, but seriously, for storage, NAS and big files, these drives are fantastic.

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    on hot too lol

it's seagate... but doesn't mean it will fail at all... it's just the noise.

7. poornaprakash

poornaprakash Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
    Does Seagate HDD now less in quality now ?? I am asking so because I had a Seagate 500 GB Barracuda drive and its 6 years already and still shows no signs of trouble with it. The drive came with a 5 year warranty but nowadays most of the HDD come with 2 or 3 year warranty and I am bit suspicion about Seagate may have compromised quality with there current drives.

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Buying Seagate HDD for archiving not sure if I would touch them,few weeks ago my 3TB Seagate failed without the reason and I've lost lots of works etc,recovery will be possible,but can be very costly

Due this I would be staying from Seagate for very long time,I've one more in PC which is Seagate and I don't use that HDD at a;lll,rather I'm using my trusted Toshiba 3TB HDD for archives etc

But that's me and yes my chirp too Seagate

Thanks,Jura

9. Pelnex

Pelnex Member

GPU:
    Msi 4090 suprim X
    I thought these Seagate Archive drives were NOT for use in a RAID configuration?

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I bought a 5tb Seagate external last October there, lasted 2 months, I am just this moment waiting for it to be returned, I have no idea what they have sent me out, communications with Seagate has been very poor, a RMA number and and return email with nothing but the ups shipping info, nothing on what I am getting back or any info on what was wrong with the drive, or if they have fixed or replaced it, time will tell.

11. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    At least you can RMA,in my case I would like to send this,but right now,I need to find way how to recover it,I will be doing ddrescue on this HDD,I need to recover all files or big portion of the files which means around 2.1TB I need to recover

I spoke with Seagate regarding the recovery and they are been silent for several weeks,which means I'm alone with that

I bought this HDD as new,but previously I've bought used,he said its only used in NAS for several months,I got that HDD,when I saw how much data he written there(12.2PB) I send back that HDD to seller and he refunded me

Regarding yours hope so they will sort you out,but agree their RMA or customer service is just poor

Thanks,Jura

12. LBJM

LBJM Guest

GPU:
    latest green team
    I'm using one of these as a NAS drive hooked up to my router and I'm curious to see how well it holds up. I just purchased it at the beginning of the month and it's in a USB 3.0 enclosure (Protronix E35-B USB 3.0) at floor level. I will post in a years time and tell you if it's still running, and yes it will be on 24/7.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  13. Pelnex

Pelnex Member

GPU:
    Msi 4090 suprim X
    When reading the reviews on Tomsitpro and Storagereview they refer to Seagate saying: "Seagate does not recommended utilizing these drives in RAID or NAS environments".

I'm curious as i'm thinking of buying these for a NAS.

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well the HDD appeared at my door a hour ago, even though the UPS site says still in transit between depots... anyhow, it seems Seagate has sent me a different 5tb HDD, this one is called the Backup plus desktop drive, rather than the Expansion desktop drive which i sent them, still 5tb though, and it seem to be working, we shall see once i backup my 2tb of steam games, see how it fair with that little bit of work. lol

(Well blow me, on the bottom of the HDD, etched into the plastic base is the word recertified, did they just send me a second hand HDD to repleace my 3 month old faulty one?)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  15. brettpeirce

brettpeirce Guest

GPU:
    N/A - RDP into servers
    Review review

So... why do I want to compare an ARCHIVE HDD's performance to that of a slew of SSDs? How is that supposed to be useful? If I'm looking for a review of an HDD, I want to know how it holds up against its competition... not 20+ things that it absolutely can't compare to?!!?!

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

A better review would be between the different drives on offer from the same manufacturer. For instance, the ST8000AS0002 (Archive series) against the ST8000VX0022 (Surveillance series). Why Archive vs Surveillance? Because both are designed for 24/7 use, both have 3 years warranty, however on paper the Surveillance drivers are better. They have a greater MTBF, are designed for constant writing and reading, use LESS power, and are faster, however cost a little bit more. I think the extra cost is worth it. Also the MTBF of the surveillance series is 1 million hours, compared to 800,000 hours for the Archive series.

Archive series spec sheet:
    http://www.seagate.com/www-content/...d/en-us/docs/archive-hdd-ds1834-5c-1508us.pdf

Surveillance series spec sheet:
    http://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/skyhawk/files/skyhawk-ds-1902-3-1608us.pdf

The drives that most people are probably familiar with, the standard Seagate Barracuda range. I'm pretty sure they use to offer larger drives in this series, now it seems to top out at 4 GB. This isn't a bad thing when you see the specs, these are pretty much budget drives.
    http://www.seagate.com/www-content/...cuda-new/files/barracuda-ds-1900-5-1702us.pdf

Note power on is 2400 hours/year, which is 8 hours a day, 6 days a week (NOT 24/7 use). That's 100 days constant use. Now, look at the warranty period, 2 years. It means the drives are effectively warranted only for 200 days use! Their workload rate is 55 GB/year compared to 180 GB/yr for the archive and Surveillance series, the 3 TB and 2 TB drives use more power (much more than even the 4 GB), and despite spinning faster are not really any faster at least according to the specs.

Basically, don't compare the standard desktop drives like the ST4000DM004 to the archive or surveillance series, they really don't compare. Comparison between the surveillance and archive series would be good though, the surveillance series comes in sizes from 1 TB to 10 TB.

The RPM of 5900 isn't so much an issue these days, I haven't noticed a scrap of difference in performance between my surveillance drives compared to the standard desktop drives I had. I changed over because I very much like the idea of better longevity drives. I replaced 2 very recently just in time! They worked perfectly, but on the second cleaning pass they both start playing up.

The way I see it, the archive series you can have running 24/7, but is designed for only light read/write cycles, hence archive! The surveillance series are designed for 24/7 use, and constant write/read as required with surveillance. These cost a little more than the archive drives, but would probably be better for heavier use than just storing pictures and video files that get light use.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Even though your question is a little old now, I would suggest not getting them for NAS. As I just posted, the surveillance drives seem to be better built for not only 24/7 operation like the archive drives, but constant use also.

Only Seagate can answer exactly what drive you got, but if you asked they probably wouldn't tell you! It's possibly a RMA that was perfectly fine, or a factory second that they repaired. It would be interesting to know how many RMA's manufacturers receive, I wouldn't be surprise if a large majority of things people RMA as faulty are probably perfectly fine. It's okay though, they can recover that cost through bumping up the sale cost slightly :p.

18. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    thanks for the review would appreciate hdtune benchamark where it shows write speeds from start to end so we can see write speeds on the inner track