Dell cancels 4K UP3017Q OLED monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk, maybe you're right that there is ways to repair it - but I definitely tried a bunch of things people recommended including an app that like played fuzz/noise and IIRC I left it running overnight and it didn't fix the problem.

I'm almost definitely buying an LG OLED TV this year - I guess I'd need to be further convinced that it's a non-issue before I would shell out that kind of money for an OLED monitor.

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Simple. It doesn't happen to him, therefore, everyone else is making it up.

this is one of the cornerstones that internet forum discussions are based upon :wanker:

3. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    Thank you to Dell for caring and not releasing a faulty product to the public!

4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    A bit of a shame. I have an LG 65" E6 OLED TV. I was really looking forward to seeing some reviews of this monitor. Hopefully someone else will come out with an OLED screen.

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Speaking about burn in (not image retention)...

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/42511-oled-suffers-from-burn-in-effect

6. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It is Fud, so I will take it with a grain of salt. But keep an eye out for issues. I've only had mine 4 months, but so far no regrets at all. Best TV I have ever owned and by a country mile. Also 3D is stunning on an OLED. Beats the hell out of LCD any day.

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Burn-in on OLED displays happens, always. It's not image retention. Don't even try. Sheesh. We're not idiots around here. Pretty much every single Galaxy phone prior to the S4 / S5 that I've held had evident burn-in that doesn't just "go away when you play some other content or leave it off". My Galaxy Note 1 had it. My friend's Galaxy Note 2 has it. My other friend's S2 had it. So did his Motorola Razr.

8. weewoo87

weewoo87 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5850
    Kudos on your excellent taste in televisions. I almost pulled the trigger on a 65" B6 for $2250 over Black Friday. 2017 models at CES look like they have brought the E6 quality down to their "entry level" B series, so I'll probably get one of those and retire my Samsung plasma which suffers from extreme image retention.

...burn-in is real though.

9. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Thanks. And yes, i will keep an eye out for burn in.

10. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Well 3D is dead it appears. Every manufacturer has removed 3D from all their 2017 TV models, this includes OLED, QLED and others. This news from those who were at CES in January.

And for the other who said Sony is staying away from OLED, not in their new 2017 models they aren't, they are using them now, LG panels. As are Panasonic.

11. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    My wife's' Samsung S7 Edge has a burn in stripe where the weather displays in the middle. We've tried 12 hours of a flashing program to fix it but it's too far gone after only 3 months of light use. I don't use TVs as TVs I use them as my desktop for cinematic gaming and easy multitasking in 4k so I'm not actually in the market or the future market for any OLED products. A good high end QLED FALD with subtlety and clean edges on text is what I would prefer for my pc. It would appear Samsung like us have learned a lesson.

12. cktech

cktech Guest

GPU:
    8GB
    It's baaack!?

I'm new so I can't post links, but I just saw it up on Dell.

dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-30-ultrasharp-oled-monitor-up3017q/apd/210-aiei/monitors-monitor-accessories?ref=322_prodTitle

:banana:

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hah, amazing. Thanks for the note on this cktech. I guess I can rewrite that news-item AGAIN. :)

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Wasn't the canceled one a 120Hz monitor? This one that went up is 60Hz.

15. ZippingPear

ZippingPear Guest

GPU:
    16 GB
    I'm not going to say burn-in doesn't ever happen or anything. But I have an old plasma TV which I still use (and that thing has been used 5-6 hours a day for 8 years now) and have used 3 OLED phones over the past 7-8 years. 2 of my old samsung phones are superslow and they have all sorts of problems with battery life and random freezes, but their screens still look pretty much flawless to me with no sign of any burn-in or any artefacts. And the plasma TV has served me so well that I only recently started thinking about upgrading it to a 4k HDR OLED TV, but I might wait for OLED prices to drop a little more.

16. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Sony is using LG panels at least since 2012, and they haven't used their oled panels because of burn in and/or short life of them.
    And this was coming from Sony techs/engineers that were at training events.
    And that they still haven't switched, means there are still issues, or they have something "better" in the works...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  17. GALTARAUJO

GALTARAUJO Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX980 Strix
    Is response time really 0.1ms?

18. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    I think it is a wise decision to do that.
    I don't know the backgrounds but rather don't publish a product than publish one that will have pixel errors or whatever it is that they have problems with...

19. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @GALTARAUJO
    yeah, they got great numbers for response and Hz.
    IIRC, sony did say technically 100.000 Hz for refresh (panel) would be possible.

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Yes. OLED has extremely low pixel transition times.

Note that this is the pixel transition time, NOT the input lag of the monitor. Input lag is usually 18-24ms for the fast gaming monitors out there. Pixel response time does not impact that in any major way. It just means there's virtually zero motion ghosting issues with OLED.