I need help troubleshooting...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GoldenBootz, Apr 9, 2017.

1. GoldenBootz

GoldenBootz Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Hi guys,

So I have an issue on my hands here. I just bought a 7700k and msi z270 gaming m5 motherboard. For the first two weeks, everything worked flawlessly. Used XMP to OC my ram to 3000hz and overclocked my cpu to 4.8 at 1.25 volts without any issues. NOW, all of a sudden things aren't as blissful.NOW, I crash every time I'm in a game and blue screen from time to time when I try to play anything or doing something as simple as watching twitch. I've upped the voltage on my cpu to 1.30 and 1.31 and I still crash. 4.8 at those voltages pass an OCCT test for 10 hours. I just turned off XMP to see if that would do anything so that my ram speed was at the defaulted 2133 and I still crashed.

4.8 on my cpu was very stable at 1.25 for two weeks and then it wasn't...it was also stable at 1.275 for a few weeks and then it wasn't. NOW, it crashes any time I overclock above 4.5 at any voltage. When I am within 4.2-4.5, I can seem to play without any crashes. I've gone as high as 1.37 volts at 4.8 and I still crash. What could be the problem here? Faulty CPU/mobo/ram?

I even used the mobos gameboost option to OC to 4.8 at whatever volts it chooses(1.30) and it still crashes. I'm at a loss.

Components:
    EVGA Gtx 1080
    MSI z270 gaming m5
    EVGA 750w P2 psu

Where should I go from here?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    When you get the blue screen, what error code is it giving you?

3. GoldenBootz

GoldenBootz Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    The error code i get is "clock watchdog timeout"

4. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    Are you using any of your USB ports?

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Make sure you are 100% stable on factory clocks. If you still crashing on default clocks, it might mean some devices are failing to respond. Read this for more info.

Once your pc start crashing due to specific overclock, monitor temperature and voltage. Faulty PSU might be the problem as well.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Need the number.. 0x101 0x124 etc

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Like sverek said, revert your cpu to stock clocks to find out if the problem is from the overclock or not.

From your description i think the problem can be related to the GPU or PSU because your problems appear when gaming. But there are gurus much more experienced than me regarding this matters, so they can help you more than i can.