Microsoft To Announce XBox Project Scorpio Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    PC gaming should benefit from the 4k support that Scorpio will bring. Easier to port over.

2. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Could not have said it better.....Exactly what I have been wanting them to realize over the years.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The XBox One and PS4 both use Jaguar based processors. The AM1 processors are also Jaguar based.... Same architecture, just fewer cores.

4. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    If I were a console gamer, I would be discouraged by the fact that they keep "refreshing" their consoles every 1 to 2 years. The consumer is getting screwed in this model.

2014 Buy this xbox one for $399
    2016 Buy this xbox one S (for the correct performance at 1080p gaming) for $299
    2017-2018 Buy this xbox scorpio for $600 (maybe more) for "4k" gaming.
    I could understand if the one S wasnt in the mix between 14 and the end of 17... But this is crazy.

PS4 is in the same boat with the ps4 and ps4 pro.

5. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    It's more like having a single target makes it easier to develop on. Developers never manage anything of note with their lower level access on consoles in spite of all the touting it gets.

Scorpion should be able to handle games at 4K but, it's not like developers/publishers have learned from their mistakes and constant overreaching. I'd truly be surprised if the majority of games run at 4k@30+ constantly with no dips.

I'm sure there will be some decent titles on the system.

6. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    6 Tflops is like 1070 performance. Should be powerful enough for a console.

7. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    People are a bunch of negative nancy's and the ones bashing the ps pro probably dont have one or at least most dont - it actually does a really good job with upscaled "fake" 4K. I actually would really laugh at somebody pixel peeping during gameplay siting - it does really well for what it is. Sure its not perfect but it works decent.

8. Azerothakis

Azerothakis Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 390 NitroV.2
    The new ATI RX 580 will fit inside of the XBOX SCORPIO.
    Core Clocked At 1340Mhz and Memory 8GB/s.

It's very good choise for 2k 60fps and 4k 30fps at medium settings.

9. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    No sounds like a rx480, maybe at a higher clock speed. It's amd, so it IS going to be that same tech.

Looks like it's a rx480 with a OC'D jaguar CPU. aka nothing's changed since the "best pixels" announcement, you could tell it was just that even back then.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  10. Rantoc

Rantoc Guest

GPU:
    780 Gtx SLI
    If you ask me neither console have the horsepower to run proper 4k with any fidelity worth mentioning, it's not without reason most games is up-scaled because the low fidelity/blur upon blur won't show what 4k can do. In order to provide a native 4k render with that lack of horsepower the detail would have to be sliced so heavy it would look worse than lower res with more details.

As for the question if 4k looks different, hell yeah but in order to get fps up to the level where it at least starts to get smooth (for me 60+) barely the 11.5gflops/500gb-sec 1080TI OC's can do it with full details.

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Really enjoying the XB1 at the moment due to back compat, so if Scorpio allows me to bring all my XB1 and 360 games with me i am in from day one, i got two xbox ones here ready for trade in to make the deal even sweeter for that Scorpio goodness. lol

63 digital 360 games so far, i am now down to the last 31, then my entire xbox 360 digital library will be on the Xb1, and my physical copies also mounting up on BC support, soon i will be able to retire my old Xbx 360 for good, i will shed a tear.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I just hope you made this comment as a joke, since AMD never released APU remotely close to console in configuration.

But maybe I just woke up into this new reality where APUs have more than 4 CPU cores and more than 8 GCN CUs as standard.

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Current AMD APUs (not Zen ones, obviously) have multiple times faster CPUs, but the GPU part is let down a bit. With what I've seen of Zen (idling at 2.2GHz while using less than half the power of Kaby Lake with double the amount of cores), along with the projected TFlops/consumption for Vega (~275W for 12.5Tflop), I can easily see a 150W APU as a gaming powerhouse. But they really didn't have all the parts yet.

The most curious part is the 12GB memory. I wonder if it's 8GB of GDDR5 + 4GB HBM, or 12GB GDDR5 with a 384bit bus. The first one would be the more exotic and interesting one, especially considering all the buzz around Vega's new memory controller.

Sammarbella is right about the console not being "real" 4k, I don't believe it will be in the future either. On the other hand, we have seen a lot of truly great upscaling tech from the PS4 Pro, some of which has already translated to the PC (see the Watch_Dogs 2 port), so I actually see it as a win-win.

There is also the point that despite not getting "true" 4k, these techniques both offer much higher actual rendering resolutions, and a much much better end result on a 4k screen, than any simple console/TV upscaler could do.

The Scorpio is interesting, because past its launch it will basically be the performance target for Windows AAA ports. My only questions now is if it will include HBM (highly unlikely), or Zen (highly unlikely again). It's also marking the era of consoles with backwards compatibility and the complete transition to an "appstore" philosophy, rather than a hardware-bound philosophy, which will be better for consumers in the end.

14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Is it only noticeable on a high resolution monitor?

15. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well that was exciting, basically a Ps4 pro style upgrade with a lot of bells and whistles and some, plus BC seems to also be catered for on the Scorpio, very nice indeed, and i have a 4k tv so i am in day one.

Very nice.

17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Well, 6" is better than 4", but, 12" is the dream.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Specs seem decent. Forza 4K@60FPS with 60% utilization. So much for it not being able to run true 4K...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8u0qKzUMAEJkgH.jpg

This is the part I found most interesting. I wonder if this is something that is coming to Vega - or if it's specific to the DX12 API in the Xbox. Either way it's pretty cool.

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^The customization on this thing seems amazing, i hope we have that pro patch thing the Ps4 pro get's, cherry on the cake if XB1 games got 4k patches.

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    This is a very interesting reveal.

I wonder if games will be 4k 60 fps since most devs are sony favorable. or will they stay 4k 30fps.
    It will be interesting to see Destiny 2 on Scorpio vs PS4 pro for instance.
    Will all devs really support 4k btw, its not happening now , will they then ?

So far things are looking awesome. 4k 60 fps with only 60% usage is quite impressive imho.