Samsung Working On 44 and 48-inch Monitors with 29:9 and 32:9 aspect ratios

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sounds nice and all, but does any media currently support such aspect ratios? i hear 21:9 sometimes has issues in some games that only support 16:9, guessing these wont fair any better or in some cases worse?

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    The majority of games nearly support 21:9 and they really isn't many issues with it.

Most cases its stretched hud or hid is in 16:9 location instead of 21:9 location.

For me 16:9 sucks compared to 21:9. And when watching proper widescreen movies, it fits my 21:9 correctly vs black bars on 16:9.

4. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Curve crap but 1080, right.
    I don't see anything above 26" that looks good with that low res.

5. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    so those are Ultra Ultra Wide ? ....what's next ? ? Ultra Ultra Ultra wide ? :p

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    For me it's OLED or nothing.

My 32'' 2560x1440 is already big enough, and its HP VA panel is real good with colors especially with blacks.
    Yet this is still not good enough when it comes to playing STALKER in moonless night

I really really want that pitch dark, zero light emission black (0,0,0), like my Tab S2 OLED is putting out.

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    and here i thought my 21:9 was big.....

Also that "human eye" another story from the scame category as "human eye cant see beyond 30fps" Mine does, apparently i am a mutant.

Anyways 21:9 is just getting into the masses, every game i played i managed to make it work in this aspect ratio. Only issue is games like Warcraft 3, which do scale, but you are unable to change FoV, which results in ultra-wide-ZOOMED image.

8. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    I've considered these ultra wide screens, and at 1st glance this combined with curving seems cool. However, I use triple 1920x1200's monitors with racing games(Asetto Corsa and iRacing correctly render triples, Project Cars does NOT) that actually render each monitor separately. And, the games take into account, viewing distance, monitor size, bezel width, and angles between the monitors to create realistic FOV's up to 180(if you wanna sit with your nose against the center monitor lol). The resolution is 5760x1200, close to the pixel count of 4K. I sit about 22-24 inches away and can see almost dead left and right. My point is that the ultra wide single monitors will not create the same effect as correctly rendered triples. It will either stretch the image or render a larger viewing area, but cannot compare to triples with the outside monitors angled inward past 45 degrees.

If racing sims were not my priority, I might consider one of these.

9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    seems like you have a racing simulator dream setup ! my self i am considering a while an ultra wide monitor 34'' but i am not in a rush i am pretty sure my gtx 770 will not keep up with it at all so i am kind of waiting to grab a gpu and monitor together ! on the other hand i am not that much into racing simulator games but i do not have a tv literally i live alone and i see no use for a tv so my pc is my music center and movie watching center so a 34'' inch monitor goes a lot more farther than gaming for me ... still those ultra ultra wides .... sounds weird ...we will see though i mean 20 years ago most people where still rocking 4:3 monitors

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Noisiv
    zero light (output) isnt limited to oled...
    the fact that even samsung isnt doing oled tvs, should say enough (even that they like to push "crap" no one really needs, aka curved screens that being used for things beyond gaming/movies).

and why would you limit yourself to one type of tech?
    aka if you could get a screen that has the 'zero" black, 100% adobe coverage with a 10bit panel, 120Hz, flickerfree light, and is NOT oled, you wouldnt buy it? lol..

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    no.. ofc I would buy it,

but I haven't seen a display that comes close to OLED on my stwpid Tablet,
    and I am thinking that Quantum Dot in particular will turn out a disappointment when compared to OLED

PS... which panels are capable of zero light emission black, like OLED ?

12. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    For your needs, one of these monitors sounds perfect. I'd upgrade my video card first, if gaming is at all important to you. I drive my monitors with a 980 ti waterforce. Really need a bit more video HP and will upgrade to a 1080ti when an AIO one drops to $600 or so.

As for my racing rig, yeah i went a lil crazy about a year ago. Obutto Rev. cockpit, Accuforce Pro wheel, Proto Sim Tech pedals and a Fanatec Shifter SQ.

13. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    @ Venix, In the US, 10 years ago most were still rocking 4:3.

14. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    This http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/04/apple-iphone-8-oled-display-samsung.html They are about to reap around $9 billion in revenue making OLED phone screens for Apple none the less. Samsung may just yet make OLED TVs. They also make WAY more profit from their gimmicky LED TVs than they can make from selling OLEDs. This and high manufacturing costs have prohibited OLED from becoming mainstream. APple may change that single handedly.
    There are plenty of non-OLED TVs, monitors and phone screens that are awesome, but none compare to OLED so far.

15. ignigena

ignigena Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti 6GB
    2 eyes

Taking into account that usually people have two eyes, and that those two eyes are separated horizontally, not vertically, I would assume that human vision is closer to 10:3, although have no data to proof it. Unless of course instead of human eye you meant human vision.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You're not accounting for space between the eyes, and what you're thinking in general is not how human eyes work anyway. I'm not getting into this.

17. illLoGiQ

illLoGiQ Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 SC
    Literally playing games in sections, to much, to much I say!