Asus Crosshair VI Hero and 1700x voltage is way too high!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Jw_Leonhart, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    anyone have a voltage issue here? I'm seeing 1.542V max with everything set to default running Prime 95... Any idea whats going on anyone?

2. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    You're running stock speeds?

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What Bios ? Please provide your complete hardware configuration and type of cooling ? What software are you using to monitor the voltage ? Can you provide a picture ? That info would help us a lot in order to give you a hand. :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  4. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC

5. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    Here is the PC:

Asus Crosshair VI Hero
    AMD 1700x
    32GB Trident Z RGB Ram (4x8GB)
    1x 500GB Samsung 960 Evo M2 Drive
    2x 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD Drives
    MSI Seahawk EK X GTX 1070
    and alot of cooling as you can see below.... just seems like the voltage is too high, and i'm using asus AI to monitor the temps voltage as shown in the pic above unless you have another suggestion?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

6. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    I also just updated to the new BIOS 0902 or whatever today since this was the suggested BIOS that has fixed alot of issues (still sucks IMO) and now the CPU temps go all over the damned place. One minute they are 42 the next it just jumps to 47 or it will be 35 and jump right to 50 and stay there... Not really understanding that.....

Also, everything is stock I haven't touched a single setting in the BIOS for anything at all yet. I wanted to try and get everything running right and wait until all the issues got hammered out with BIOS and what not before I even tried to adjust anything with all the issues people are having.

7. tarot

tarot Guest

GPU:
    XFX Vega 64
    ok while my internet is working cross fingers
    i have the asus Baymax(CH6) and the 902 bios and a 1800x i was getting the same sort of voltage fluctuations as you.
    changed loadline to lvl 3
    manually inputted 1.387 v for the vcore and 1.35 for the ram(that will of course vary)
    i am currently running at 4G and the V's are 1.95/1.417 temps are where you would expect with my old h110. perfectly stable.

putting in the extra 4 pin seems to give it more juice and well MAKES it use the juice for some stupid reason but manually setting the volts worked for me.

oh and manually set cpu multiplier to 40(for me)

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Like the above post, set the voltages manually. The bios applies more voltage than necessary when set to auto.

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Try to set core V as: Offset and + and ~0.22100
    And Phase as Optimised for CPU and Extreme for RAM
    :nerd:

I have like this and its OK

For 3.89Ghz is ~1.330v
    For 4.018Ghz is ~1.395v
    Temps are low ~16-34deg.cels.

Greets :eek3:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    For my 1800x I got 1.35 for 4ghz. I think I could go lower. Temps are all over the place as the reading sucks on 0038 bios at least. The offset is messing things up. And my fans go wryyyyyy za warudo.

Anyways manually set your voltage else it will jump all over the place.

11. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    pm sent

12. Kanuki

Kanuki Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    I'm having exactly the same issue.

My vcore even can go up to 1.575v.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    guys you have to play with voltages, don't just run them at auto, most boards will overshoot too much.

Set either manual, or better adaptive voltage and play with LLC until you hit desired voltage with full stability.

14. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    That's not the issue, rather than a board - out of the box - applying borderline dangerous voltages and/or voltage spikes when everything is at stock. That in and of itself should not be happening.

That said, I've experienced the same phenemon on my C6H.

In my limited experience 'LLC Auto' seems to have been the culprit. Setting it to Level 1 and rebooting should result in much more acceptable voltage levels.

Out of the box my 1700X spiked up to 1.5V(+) as well in the BIOS and averaged somewhere in the 1,4xVs.

LLC = Level 1 and some offset tweaking should remedy the issue.

I still find the status quo to be borderline unacceptable, though.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Intentions are not to be rude.

But if the issue is not what was quoted, what exactly is your suggestion doing? LLC affects voltages and one has to change the default setting of Auto to Offset to accomplish this. So in effect, your suggestion falls into "guys you have to play with voltages, don't just run them at auto..."

As your suggestions proves, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

16. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    If out of the box voltage settings are horrendous then there's plainly not much of a choice then to resort to manual adjustment - or wait/pray for a BIOS revision that diffuses the situation, insofar you're uncomfortable with it.

Gigabyte also received flak on their X270 boards for driving the 7700Ks with >= 1.3V out of the box when the competition wasn't nearly as aggressive.

The RX480 also got received flak to being out of spec on the PCI-E slot.

Rightfully so, in my mind.

The idea of the post was not to excuse the - in my mind - inexcusable. Yes, AUTO generally drives voltages much higher than need be. Yet all hardware parts also have specifications and boards, out of the box, should move within said specifications. I don't think >1.5V spikes are part of those.

On a really unlucky draw, albeit highly unrealistic mind you, your CPU might just dies to a voltage spike on its first boot.

Problems still need solutions, though - and currently that is to either not use the C6H at all or make manual changes ;)

That said, I don't know if the competition handles baseline voltage any better/different, as I've only got one board.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  17. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    i got spikes or readings in the 1.5 with cpuz and aida64. like others i do not trust AUTO. Last year Asus boards were dying with skylake on auto pilot and asus tried too dismiss this but fanny lovers will tell you different, do your own google search. I dare say other brands as well.