Crimson Drivers and Error 1603

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Bojamijams, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Bojamijams

Bojamijams Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    So, I believe quite a few users here are suffering from this error showing up on all version of Crimson drivers. So 17.x and on. This issue is not present on 16.x. It seems to be something with the way AMD packages the installer and the privileges it invokes when trying to run the many EXEs, MSIs and other executables that are part of this package.

I am including a link to my Installer.LOG file which is generated after the installation of the 17.3.2 driver failed. Again.

http://pastebin.com/iYSHjGnQ

I would like to ask all able bodies who are interested in helping solve this issue for the numerous users who are suffering from this.

To help shed light on the issue, in my case, I am able to successfully install all the 17.x drivers I have tried IF I reset my PC. That means everything wipes and goes back to scratch. Then, of course, after using the computer for a month, a new driver comes out and this issue happens again. Obviously, I cannot keep wiping my PC everytime I want a new driver

I've done a few things since the last 'successfull' install of the driver, such as disabling cortana and onedrive (via group policy) but even after enabling them and restarting, the issue persists, so I don't think it is that.

I would also like to add that, if I manually try running an MSI package that the log tells me failed, (for example, under Packages\Apps\INEXT\WIn64\ATICatalystInstallmanager.msi) then that installation seems to succeed without a problem. I know this as I do not have any kind of Catalyst settings after a failure with error 1603 but after running the example MSI, I get those settings. So they definitely 'succeeded' with me running them normally whereas the installer failed, for whatever reason.

However, running that .msi and getting those settings didn't get me ALL of my settings back, so it is not a workaround yet as there are other things that I'm missing that I can't figure out what MSI they come from yet.

If anyone is willing to help out with this issue, I would greatly appreciate it, as I'm sure anyone who suffers from this error would. I know a lot of people are stuck on 16.x because of this error. Hell, it may even be that some variation of this issue is what is causing other errors that are keeping people on 16.x branch

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. smoney

smoney Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE NITRO R9 390
    After I updated windows to build 1607 I was getting error 1603 after trying to install 17.3.2, 17.3.1 and 17.2.1. I was able to install 17.3.1 and 17.3.2 prior to updating and I didn't try 17.2.1.
    Next I uninstalled Microsoft visual c++ redistributable packages, all of the ones listed from my programs and features there were (x86) and (x64) versions. then I reinstalled them. I also installed some Microsoft visual c++ 2005 redistributable packages.

after I reinstalled the redistributable packages I proceeded to install 17.3.1 and did not encounter error 1603. I was having trouble installing origin too but the reinstall fixed that too. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

3. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
  4. naterko

naterko Guest

GPU:
    sapphire amd hd 7870 oc
    passus - what does that mean? you did not post a response. all you did was link to something. will that fix me having to reinstall windows?

also, amd drivers no longer recognizing graphics card. if it's not one error it;s another. error 1601, 1603, 187, to name a few. mainly 1601, however. help?

i am surprised the internet is not flooded with people no longer able to use their graphics cards...

5. Bojamijams

Bojamijams Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Thank you for that information smoney. I will give it a try

6. Relentless81

Relentless81 Guest

GPU:
    Fury
    Hi,

I've just registered in the hope that you might be able to confirm what you did to resolve this issue? I've been tearing my hair out trying to install drivers, never had a problem before and this started happening when I tried to update, now I can install ANY driver.

Did the above work? Do AMD have a fix for this or do they expect people to reinstall Windows 10 with every driver update?

Thanks

7. Bojamijams

Bojamijams Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    I've not solved it yet but I do plan on doing a reset of my PC this weekend, and doing some tests. I know if I reset, I can install the latest AMD driver but after that, when the next one comes out, I have this problem.

So my test will be to determine what actually breaks this. Is it the AMD driver itself or some other, common to us all, program.

It will take a few hours obviously so hopefully I have the endurance to stay with it instead of getting frustrated but I'll update here with results

In the meantime, contact AMD support and make a reply on AMD community boards to let them know more and more people are having this issue

8. Bojamijams

Bojamijams Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Thinking about more commonalities between all of us who get this problem.....

Has anyone here used Ninite?

9. Relentless81

Relentless81 Guest

GPU:
    Fury
    Thanks for replying, I tried resetting W10 and it didn't work, the issue persists. I've done everything to the point where it no longer even makes sense that the error is still happening apart from a complete fresh install

10. Bojamijams

Bojamijams Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    You did a 'Reset this PC' and without keeping any old settings/files? And it still wouldn't let you? Hmmm.

In this case it may be corruption.. 1603 is a very general error with many causes so while the SFC /scannow and the DISM command did nothing for me, I know they did fix problems for others

I don't know the exact DISM command so just google AMD error 1603 and you'll see on AMDs website about tips of troubleshooting this what the exact command is

11. Relentless81

Relentless81 Guest

GPU:
    Fury
    Tried the commands, tried everything suggested in every search result on google

Nothing works, 1603 on every driver install attempt no matter what version no matter what I do, its mind blowing stuff I've never had an issue like this before

I was about to invest in Ryzen and Vega and I'm at a point where I'm not sure I want to anymore for fear of this issue

12. Relentless81

Relentless81 Guest

GPU:
    Fury
    Cracked it finally, my MyDocs folder is mapped to a different drive, somehow that drive got disconnected, reconnected and installed fine

Still don't get it, doesn't look like it installs anything in there but just seeing that installed successfully message after all the messing makes me happy

I hope that helps in some way

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The error is a Windows MSI Installer error and happens for a lot of stuff. If you can't install any driver, then there is most likely a permission issue with your system.

AMD has an article about it, start by following what it says and post your driver installation logs here.

Microsoft also has an article about it, and it describes steps to solve the permissions issue.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  14. Bojamijams

Bojamijams Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    I've tried everything, and I do mean every single thing, listed in both of those articles and neither applied to me. It does seem to be a permission thing, but everything else installs fine, including 16.x versions of the drivers, so AMD is using some new flags for installing the AMD Settings portion which is what is causing the error 1603.

15. Bojamijams

Bojamijams Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro

That's great to hear! Gives me some hope! My Documents is mapped locally, but my Pictures, Music and Videos is mapped to my NAS. It could be the reason, although if true AMD still needs to look into why this is causing an issue with 17.x and not 16.x and why Nvidia never has this issue (I first encountered it when I switched from my GTX 970 to my Fury and installed the AMD GPU drivers for the first time)

I will also say that nothing I did fixed it, but, I ran the file that failed manually "C:\AMD\Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.3.3-Mar16\Packages\Apps\CN\CNext\cnext64\ccc-next64.msi" and that installed just fine and now I have my AMD Settings control panel and all the options.

So it looks like it is now fixed but I will try unmapping my three folders and running the install again. Would be good to confirm.

16. Bojamijams

Bojamijams Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    You were right! I reset my Pics, Music and Videos folder to their default and the driver installed just fine!! Good thinking with that man! I wish I could buy you a beer!