Chris Robert's "Star Citizen" to use Vulkan exclusively - for best interoperability!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by vase, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    He was just asking if you're a backer no one is seeking to discredit you; you do that enough in your posts.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    But he's right about both. Set top boxes are the Satan, and Star Citizen is a despair demon spawned from the Fade to sap mankind's hope.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    When he says "Set Top Boxes" he includes things like AppleTV/Chromecast/Nvidia Shield/Etc.

As for Star Citizen, I really don't see the problem with the game. I don't find the game interesting, mostly because I don't care for realistic space sims, but I don't really see any issue with the way they are handling it. Development basically started in 2013 and they built out multiple studios over the course of it's development time. It's not like they had any existing infrastructure or content creation chain - it all had to be put together. To make things even slower, they essentially have to ship somewhat complete modules in order to appease backers. Most games aren't built like this.

Even with all that, it's only been in development 5 years. By contrast, Epic's Fortnite has been in development for 7 years - and that's a relatively simple game by an established studio. Not to mention countless other AAA titles that have been in development for longer, also by established studios. And I think it's fair to say that none of them are really close to the scope that Star Citizen is seeking.

They provide monthly updates of all their progress - they show off that progress visually via both videos/images and releasing actual content modules. We also know they filmed a ton of hours of motion capture with multiple high-profile actors. I don't know if the cost of hiring those people is worth the performance, but it's not like Chris Roberts is pocketing all this money. He's clearly investing large amounts of it back into the game. Like he could have easily hired a bunch of B level actors and saved a ton of money and bought a house or something. That's not even to mention that he's employing like hundreds of people over multiple studios. If it was a "scam" why would he even take it that far?

You could argue that he's mismanaging it. But I haven't seen anyone post any metrics, either historical or current that show he is. As I already said, the development length isn't unprecedented. If he releases SQ42 this year, even if it's only the "limited" 20 hour long Episode 1 - it would be 5 years to release a 20 hour long game. I beat Bioshock in 15 hours and that took 5 years to develop too - again with an established studio. Plus there are a ton of other racing/dogfighting modules on top of the SQ42 campaign. Even if it doesn't get released till next year, that would be 6 years - not that crazy for a 20 hour game. So I don't see why people think it's been in development for so long, it's pretty average. Like if he announces that SQ42 has been delayed till 2020, sure - but he hasn't yet so..

I also just feel like there are a lot of people posting stupid stuff about game development in general. The team that integrates Vulkan isn't the same team adding content to Star Citizen, or SQ42. Star Citizen itself is essentially a rolling development model. Their vision is to constantly update and improve it over the duration of it's lifecycle. So SQ42 can ship and then a year or so later Vulkan is added and it will just be part of an update.

4. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    What I don't understand is why they don't simply focus on S42, release that, build on it to get SC to a playable state and dump that out. SC being an MMO means it's going to have constant updates anyway.

They have enough trouble with DX11 :nerd:.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    By the time this come out my decendent's will be playing this on their retor game visor while they transport 6 tons of watse to Alrai Sector KH-V b2-1. lol

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I agree. Or, the opposite would work too. The problem is their attention is too divided.

Considering how immense and complex this game is, when/if this ever gets officially released, I am certain there will be glitches people will exploit left and right giving themselves an advantage. It'll be nearly impossible to stop it all, while also making sure everything is properly balanced.

7. Mtom

Mtom Member

GPU:
    290X lightning

They are focusing on SQ42, but the 2 games use the same engine and gameplay mechanics, so they cannot release SQ42 until those are set in stone.

8. Mtom

Mtom Member

GPU:
    290X lightning
    Ofc it will be buggy and glitchy. My best time in WOW was the early days, when it was buggy as hell. People got teleported to tanaris together with the ship and so on.

9. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    That's up to Amazon.

10. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Exactly why I think it's best to not worry about it until after release.

Good to hear that's the case.

After 5 years I don't think anyone would be too upset if Squadron 42 wasn't super physics 9000 the space combat sim. It can always be patched in later.

11. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yeah I mean make massive promises about an upcoming game with the hope of getting folk to dig in to their wallets to 'pre-order' the game before it has been released, dripfeed info and features about why the game release keeps changing. All the while leaving the masses hoping that the money they paid up front is worth the final game, whenever it finally gets released. Kinda sounds like they have nothing to teach other developers to be honest.

The LAST thing we need is other studios following CIG in anyway, imagine what would happen if Ubisoft or EA found out they could get away with making people pay for a game upfront and then keep getting people to buy in to the premise of a game without ever actually releasing the final game.

12. Gaidax

Gaidax Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X
    Hey guys, I want to play the game on Ultra when it releases, should I buy Geforce GTX 22880 or Radeon Orion X?

I think I7-18870 should be decent enough too, but I don't have much budget so I'll only use DDR270X RAM, hope 4TB will be enough.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    someone mentioned Fortnite as an example of the game taking even longer to finish, but Fortnite had been brought to public alpha in 3 years of development:

Fortnite was first revealed by Epic on December 10, 2011.[10] On April 8, 2014, it was revealed that the game will be free-to-play.[11] People Can Fly (formerly known as Epic Games Poland) will also be working on the title.[12] The game's concept was inspired during a Game Jam, in which developers have to develop a short game for a limited time.[8]

An alpha version of the game was announced and was available starting from December 2 until December 19, 2014.[13][14] A Mac version was demoed at WWDC 2015 on June 8,

14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Fortunately, Vulkan has very few in common to OpenGL. It maintains only the biggest encumbrance: Khronos Group. Vulkan has a better extension support too: more strict and less chaos.
    By developers point of view, Directx 12, like it predecessors, provides better tools, more stable drivers, and a more strict environment and a more cohesive hardware scenario. All this translate in faster development.
    People point also that Vulkan allows all multi-gpu scenarios on Linux, while only Windows 10 allow them (WDDM 2.x inside), but nobody point that this is only in the last versions of the Linux Kernel, while you cannot to nothing at all on a Linux distribution of 2009 (like Windows 7 is).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  15. CMDR_Sheprd

CMDR_Sheprd Guest

Thank GOD I have Windows 10 already

I have 2 1070 in SLI I just picked up and you need Windows 10 to use SLI in Vulcan.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    This triggers me every time.

[​IMG]

17. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    :bigsmile:

I'm sure 99% of the people are making mistakes with Vulkan's spelling are those who believe it comes from "volcano"...lol

18. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Honestly out of a business perspective this is the best decision they can make. Given the fact that there is still more Windows 7 users than Windows 10, it will only be in their best interest to go this open API route. Besides I personally like Vulkan more than DX12

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Sounds like an opinion...I was replying to someone who was in turn commenting on the facts I posted; which was a direct comparison and fallacious point that/which has/shall be used to defend the development time. As others have mentioned/commented on, it is not a AAA game - and even if it was, it does and will not justify the development time. Elite is proof of that.

I do find it incredulous when someone leans on the side of me allegedly discrediting myself, when I post facts and statistics. That's not an attack on anyone, but more to do with how others perceive me as a person on the internet. Hrmph. The (in)famous set-top box debate I won, was similar: in that I used stats, graphs, figures, trends from the industry...weird that, no?

In essence, the reason I continue to state I am looking forward to the reviews, is because of a few reasons:

1) There is a possibility the game will break and fragment in such a way that the 'final game' will be a series of games and not a complete product. The news Hilbert is reporting and has reported across the last few years lends some credence to that potential outcome, as does their intention to disassociate themselves from the initial KS project. Locking down backers into a corner, being taken to court over funds etc etc.

2) Another possibility is, CR will sell the game and the IP so as to wash his hands of it, as he has done in the past. Do I think it's likely?...unsure, but I certainly believe it is a possibility and the T&C's do not prevent this.

3) I simply do not believe the game will be good enough to get good reviews. So, part of me (and probably you, too) knows how vigilant and militant game reviewers can be. If this game does not open up the heavens and bless each player into the holy trinity of gamers hearts, minds and spirits: it will be crucified. Lest we not forget YouTube reviewers and the Twitch communities out there.

4) Budget. The initial KS project was hit very quickly. The incomprehensible decision by CR to continue taking backing funds, by increasing the breadth and depth of the project is the only reason it has not been released yet. Nothing else. If the initial target was hit, and then stopped - the game would have been released by now. Again, Elite is proof of this.

5) General lack of confidence by their own community and the larger gaming industry. They have done very little to give anyone outside of their own echo chamber confidence the game will be any good.

6) People who are defending and regurgitating the tag-lines from the PR pig-swill. It will be a day long remembered when the reviews for the final project/product are out there and a teeny-tiny section of the gaming community (hopefully no one here) will be eating humble pie, and may even have to unplug their router for the next decade, as the moment they do; they will hear nothing but my belly-laughs.

Merci la vie...

20. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Just another "Stretch Goal" I guess? I do genuinely feel some sadness to the peeps who have plunked down hundreds and even thousands?(I spend ALOT of money on games but THOUSANDS??)on this never ending "Tech Demo" I bought a package so I could play SQ42 and well I'm still waiting on that with no progress to speak of. Those big spenders must really be feeling the burn at this point.

Meanwhile in ED land I will soon be able to create an Avatar and have real people crew my ships with me(Multicrew)