Nier Automata

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    "4K Support

Depending on the monitor and PC graphics card environment and setup used, this title can expand its display resolution to 4K. However, please be aware that 4K resolutions are not officially supported.

Thanks for your support and we hope you enjoy NieR:Automata when it goes live later today!"

Source:http://steamcommunity.com/games/524220/announcements/detail/514940032192177701

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I've been online for the past 2 hours waiting for this thing to unlock lol. I hope the PC version is alright. I'll buy it after I read some feedback.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There's some problem with HDMI cable screens and full screen. Game looks blurry or something. Can someone here check it out too? I'm not going to bother if it doesn't at least have borderless window in the options.

Here's a sample of people with the issue. http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135511757698318983/

Apparently it's not HDMI (MGRR issue) but it is rendering at 900p and upscaling :-/ They want Durante to fix their crap again? Let's see how it develops over the next few hours and days.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

5. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I remember people having the exact same problem with Metal Gear Rising.
    Some people used RadeonPro (even on nvidia) with some vsync setting, others, used Borderless gaming app.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I edited my post above. Some claim it is rendering @ 900p.

Vsync is also double buffered. Solutions are to run it (again) borderless window or nv cp forced.

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The game has a slight problem with upscaling in fullscreen mode so until that's fixed windowed or borderless should be used from what I've read. :)

Will probably not be too difficult to fix for them.

8. Eero

Eero Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Even patching in borderless window should be a quick fix until fullscreen stuff is perfected. It's weekend now so I hope it's fixed soon enough next week.

10. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Motion blur hits the fps hard , i had to turn it off @ 4k for a smooth(er) fps

cutscenes are 30fps though

11. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    How do you use borderless windowed mode with this game?
    I'm playing at 4k Full Screen atm not sure what the fuss Is all about?

Edit: Nvm fixed It using Borderless Gaming software.

12. Forkinator

Forkinator Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Classified
    surprised that Nier has mixed reviews on steam. I really want the game but do not have the money to get it right now.

13. Forkinator

Forkinator Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Classified

How is the aliasing in game?

14. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    It's fine nothing mind blowing though.

15. Kono

Kono Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 / 8GB
    Do take into consideration that Steam reviews included technical problems. If you wonder how the game is, I would recommend go check out the PS4 forum or reviews. Those are definitely more focus on gameplay and story.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Mouse and keyboard controls makes things a little bit tougher, aiming is near impossible at first and dodging isn't exactly easy plus the game does not support saving via the usual checkpoint or auto save system so yeah, died during the latter part of the prologue, back to the main menu and everything has to be done over, ha ha. :D

That said the controls are only part of the difficulty, constant camera changes and the game trying to be third person, over the top and isometric all at once plus RPG mechanics and taking a lot of damage even from lighter hits makes the game pretty challenging until you get a bit used to it, heh.
    (Combat definitively feels good though as does the overall gameplay, takes a while to get into and get used to but eh, it's fun even if the game is a bit harsh with this little save mechanic.)

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm going to wait to see if there's any killer issues on pc before I buy. 1440p is apparently available, there is a 60fps luck though.

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    21:9 up to 3440x1440 and 16:9 up to 3840x2160 are supported though in fullscreen the game caps to I think I read it being 2560x2048 (Odd that.) albeit windowed mode or forcing windowed mode into borderless makes it scale properly though the UI elements show a bit of stretching on 21:9 but the game itself displays properly.

MSAA is a bit of a performance hit as usual with DX11 and deferred but it cleans up aliasing fairly well, might be using some type of FXAA or possibly SMAA besides that but I haven't checked more in-depth to see what it is.

Controls even on mouse + keyboard while a bit imprecise are still pretty solid and responsive (Drone aiming being a bit of a issue though.) and the combat feels overall really solid although it takes a while to get used to the way the camera sometimes switches around and the game does mix up melee combat to side scrolling action and even full out bullet hell so it's easy to get caught a bit unprepared.

AMD is having some little glitch on 17.2.x and older drivers (And occasionally newer ones when you fiddle with the settings but it hasn't happened in the actual game so that seems fine.) but that does appear to be driver related and not a game issue.
    (Though a few users get full on driver crashes instead of the game window becoming white which is solved by just alt-tabbing and exiting the game.)

FOV adjustment could perhaps have been a nice addition to have, it's not right up the crack err I mean right up the characters back but some users would likely have preferred it being even further out. :)
    (Third party utilities might solve this though, not sure what Platinum will be doing in terms of patch support though fixing the full screen scaling issue would be a good start for one.)

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What's the deal with the multiple playthrough stuff I read about btw? Main story is listed at 19 hours long on HLTB and I tend to be close to the main + extras time they have so that's a lot of game time.

Is it like FO:NV where you get distinct endings or like Arkham Knight where it unlocks more of the same cutscene? I saw a video about the game's predecessor where it showed english translations of the gibberish spoken by the enemies/NPC's in ng+, I hope that's not what all there is to playing it all over again here?

Can someone who owns the game verify steam offline mode works?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The game has multiple routes, from my small understanding of this you simply load the game after finishing route A and select a different character and that's how it works up to I think the final is route E, there's W as well as a bit of a extra for failing the tutorial/prologue.

To understand the story I'm fairly certain you do have to finish most if not all the routes but I don't know too much about how it works in this game though yeah there's some backtracking involved into areas you've already been through in previous routes from what I remember reading.

I don't see why Steam's offline mode wouldn't work, game requires a activation but after that it shouldn't be any problems and even with Steam offline if you have a net connection the game should still be able to authenticate if it's required such as from a hardware change, this is a new version of Denuvo though so well I do not know much about it either although I assume it does keep the recurrent activation system but it varies from game to game, Just Cause 3 is one of the shorter I know of which uses every third day or so to require authentication and then it's usually up to a week or two for most other games.
    (Manual activation via key and then inputting that on a website also works.)