Display Driver Uninstaller Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Wagnard, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.5.2 Released.

See first post of this thread for download locations and other important information.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    What happened to your site, Wagnard?

3. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    It seems January was quite popular for my site and we have blown the limit of executions allowed :banana:

Look like wagnardsoft is becoming quite popular :)

I'm in the process of fixing this.(paying a higher account)

4. Zspath

Zspath Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD7950
    (I didn't know I couldn't post links before typing this so I just removed the http from them)

Hello, I just stumbled upon DDU while looking to see how and if I should properly do a clean uninstall and reinstall of AMD radeon settings after seeing this post ( community.amd.com/message/2651273 ) from almost a year ago and I just wondered if someone could answer a few questions for me.

First: In the link above it mentions computers with Intel processors should select and uninstall everything while those with AMD processors should only uninstall the AMD Display Driver after clicking on uninstall under the Uninstall or change a program section. I'm just wondering if everything is still the same with that or not since it's not called Radeon Install Manager anymore, or at least on my computer it isn't, and is instead called Radeon Software. It also doesn't look the same when you get into the uninstall/change part of it and instead looks like this: puu.sh/tFQgs/224c7f1343.jpg
    Also in the above picture there is a clean uninstall option and I'm unsure if it's reliable or if I would still need to use DDU.

Second: I read on the front page of this thread that you do not need to uninstall the driver before using DDU. If that's so I don't need to follow the above link and uninstall process correct?

Third: My AMD radeon settings version is 16.12.1 and I'm not sure if I should update, stick with what I have or fall back. What is a recommended version to stick with for now? I've seen a lot of people complaining about the latest one.

5. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Is there a particular reason you want / need to run DDU?
    The main purpose of DDU is to fix problem you may have because of old driver left overs.

6. Zspath

Zspath Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD7950
    Well I kept hearing about clean installations and how it's better for when you upgrade your drivers. I thought I was doing it right by just going to programs, right clicking AMD, selecting everything, uninstalling rebooting, reinstalling the new update, and rebooting again and have done that with pretty much every update besides the last one which just let me upgrade to the latest and seemingly do the rest by itself. I'm just not sure if I'm doing it right.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It can be useful for troubleshooting purposes or cleaning up files from very old drivers that are no longer used by the newer ones (Or even old software bundled with the driver, I think Raptr was removed from it recently to name one.) though I personally just install the driver over the old one which will uninstall that driver and a few other things but retain registry settings and external config files.

The DXCache folder gets wiped too for whatever reason but I tend to delete that regularly anyway or well I keep track of which game adds which file and then when said game is updated I delete the old file making sure it caches the latest shader data.

Not actually sure if it's capable of updating altered shader data but at least from me testing with Dishonored 2 a while back shortly after it had launched and the first major patch for it well it seems not since the shader cache file wasn't updated at all when I exited the game which seeing how that update added HBAO+ for AMD GPU's along with other optimizations and tweaks I'd assume the shaders would have been adjusted. (The games own shader cache file was updated by that patch as well.)

So now I just wipe that periodically when a game I'm using caching for is updated. :D

That's besides the whole driver cleaning procedure though, I do clean installs whenever a branch shift occurs meaning between 16.11.x to 16.12.1 for example going from driver version 16.40.xx to 16.50.xx which can be seen in the software info tab in the Crimson UI. :)

Whereas others clean install and uninstall for every driver released, either works assuming said cleaner is up to date and that the OS doesn't bungle some other system driver in the process, system restore and "last good" options are pretty handy for that.
    (Can also be used to reset things such as having unlocked the Overdriver/Wattman OC interface settings which far as I know there's otherwise no easy way to do.)

8. Sarathstra

Sarathstra Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 GTX 6GB
    Heeeelp

Hey guys,

I just got a new graphics card and installed it today, went to use DDU in the recommended Safe mode option and I've been stuck in a infinite loop ever since, tried rebuilding the BCD and now my pc doesn't recognise my HD I've tried a system restore but that didn't work, still comes up with booting in Safe mode then it'll restart and do it again.

Please, I have no idea what to do and I'm stressing out over this

9. Sarathstra

Sarathstra Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 GTX 6GB
    Managed to sort it, held shift when I restarted my pc and tried last good configuration, seemed to have loaded into Windows via Safe mode and was able to uninstall the old drivers etc.
    What a nightmare.

10. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    How did you rebuild the BCD?

Try this command instead : bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot

EDIT: Good you were able to fix it.

There are some system that seems to fail to go into safe mode (unrelated to DDU). If you manually try to go into safe mode without using DDU, you will encounter the same blackscreen on boot.

In the future (since you system his having an issue with safe mode), if you want to use DDU , you can run it in Normal mode.

The best way to run it in normal mode, is running it 2 times with a reboot between each cleanUP.
    1-Clean
    2-reboot
    3-clean again

This should give a cleaning similar to a safe mode clean.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017

11. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.5.3 Released.

See first post of this thread for download locations and other important information.

12. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.5.4 Released.

13. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.5.5 Released.

14. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.6.0 Released.

15. Framani

Framani Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 8G
    DDU not working under windows insider 15058

Basically that, this software stopped working under every version of windows insider. Is it a known bug? or are some updates planned to undergo to fix this? Thanks for this awesome piece of software.

16. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Hi, the insiders are beta versions so they are not supported.
    I will try to see what is going on on the latest insider.

For information, v17.0.6.0 seems to have a bug that may cause DDU to hang on some Windows 7 machines.
    If this happens for you, revert to the previous version of DDU until I find a fix.

Edit: Issue is not present in Safe Mode with Networking

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I've used it yesterday and noticed even on widnows 10 latest version of DDU takes quite a bit more time to clean than usual. I though it will also hang but it didnt. Last version was faster.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  18. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Can you email me the log of this cleanUP, i'll check where it took more time and try to speed it up.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im sorry i didnt kept the log but i'll definitely imail you if this happens on next cleanup.

If anyone else notice anything similiar please let the Wagnard know, thanks.

20. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    ^ For my system and using 15060 w10 x64, the latest DDU 17.0.6.0 is twice as fast as 17.0.5.5 for example. I don't know why, but I have the opposite results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.