Review: Ryzen 7 1700 processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 14, 2017.

1. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    It's as much of my business as I chose to make it, on this open discussion platform.

Why would you be able to comment on the issue and not me?
    What makes you priviledged? :)

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    No actually if I want to make reports on people that's my business not yours. You can comment away, never said otherwise.

Your're just trolling now. Trying to score cheap points. Yawn.

p.s read back a few pages I know it's hard for some. Hilbert asked us to drop the personal remarks so I did but someone is still making personal remarks aimed at me.

If you think I'll let somone try and crap on me you are very much mistaken.

Actually if the mods look back they can see I directed a post @Hilbert and then it was flamed and attacked by several users here.

So all I did was fight my corner and because they couldnt win the argument started throwing girly tantrums n getting personal. If you cant handle losing an argument and looking silly perhaps think before you post....:)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  3. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Game performance wise at higher resolutions these Ryzen CPUs (once clocked to 1800X speeds) just do not lag behind Intel at all like the 8350 types did.

For anyone with with 1440 or 4K screens going for quality these chips provide everything desired. For now I sit in this group.

However... those after 120Hz+ 1080p gaming there is currently a clear advantage in going Intel in a good proportion of games highlighted in HH's review, but also many of the ones he touched on (comparing to the 5960X) performed very well at 1080p.

It will be very interesting to see if there really is a simple code update to fix the games currently lagging behind in 1080p.

Definitely not unhappy with how things are sitting so far and could still get good enough to bring a no holds smile to my face :banana:

4. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Read the review, is all I can say. The R7 1700 can go toe-to-toe with 1000$ and 1500$ CPUs, at 329$. ... how is that not value?

And you can look up how over the years the FX 8000 series went from being outperformed by the 2500k to outperforming it i some game scenarios as more powerful GPUs came out. Sure, that took like 4-5 years to happen, but the FX series was rather meh unless you were looking for a budget CPU that would help out with rendering stuff. Where they were really good value.

Now, with more budget from AMD being put towards helping devs develop for their many-core CPUs, and the entire ecosystem put in place by AMD to allow for this: Vulkan and DX12 as the end-result of AMD's Mantle API. AMD APUs with 8 cores in the PS4 and Xbox One. The ecosystem has been prepped heavily for more cores and threads being valuable in performance.

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Look you can turn the argument on it's head and say the 7700k goes toe to toe with all three of the Ryzens....for the same price. It loses out in areas but wins in the games...so far.

And dont get me wrong if you think buying an 8 core cpu is only going to get better that I can understand! I personally think it's a bit of a risk...so wont be doing it.

p.s thanks for getting your point over without any personal remarks.

Maybe I do want that BJ for free (who doesnt..well depends on the lady of course) but then I have always been a nitpicker when it comes down to purchases...

And mantle I dont think was a huge success was it?

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    The fact why 7700k is still a perfect gaming CPU today is because in 2009 you could buy an i7 4c/8t CPU and in 2017 the best Intel CPU in the mainstream socket remains an i7 4c/8t. That's some amazing development there. What are the game devs supposed to do? Intel told the whole world that you have four physical cores at your disposal, deal with it or go out of business. Fortunately the HT means the i7 can easily deal with lazy console ports as well with their 8 core optimisation. No such luck for us plebs with an i5 since even HT is too good for us.

AMD knows where the wind is really blowing from, just like they did with 64 bits.

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I knew that was what you really wanted!:D No hard feelings, i was just joking and i know my sense of humour can be a little "strong" for some people. Although i still think your point of view is kinda of strange but i respect it anyway.

On a more serious note, Hilbert do you have X370 motherboards to review? Ryzen´s motherboards reviews are non existant with the exception of one or two of the Crosshair VI Hero scattered around the web...

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    silly double post :/

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It's never that simple. In some things the 1800x beats Intels twice the price. In others (gaming), it loses to Intels half the price. So, again, it depends on what you do. Can we all please stop pretending that all we do now is 16 thread workloads? BTW, those workloads run a lot faster utilising gpus anyway.

10. favelle75

favelle75 Member

GPU:
    PowerColor RX480
    Huh? Seriously? Mantle became Vulkan. AMD kindly donated it to Khronos. Its neither a success nor a failure....its yet to really be implemented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)

11. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    There sure is a lot of excitement for non gaming situations. I never realized that many people at guru3D wanted to sacrifice FPS so they could encode(etc) faster.

If you were building a gaming rig, an 8 core Ryzen is a downgrade from an i7 and even an i5. Cost isn't any better for gaming builds either.

12. favelle75

favelle75 Member

GPU:
    PowerColor RX480
    While I don't disagree, on the flipside, I never realized that so many people at guru3D cared about losing 10fps at 1080p games running at like 200hz. What games do people even play at that fps? I remember doing that with Quake Arena back in the day....but now?

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You have to look at those scenarios where you get over 60fps compared to under 60fps. Also, in some games, you see say 140fps vs 110fps. If you have a 144hz monitor, that is a big improvement. Or going from 80fps to 120fps, again, if you have a 120hz monitor or faster, you'll appreciate that extra performance.

14. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I'm inclined to think of an i7 770K as the "Best Gaming CPU for 1080P in 2017" and of the R7 1700 as the "Best Overall CPU in 2017" --- If Gaming at 1080p is going to occupy 90% of what you do then go with Option A.... if not then I wold recommend Option B.

Keep it classy folks; one of the best skills anyone can learn in life is to be able to disagree with someone in a respectful manner. ;)

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    7700k is king for gaming even at 1440p.

16. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Well said, it must be said :)

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Excuse me but based on what exactly is Ryzen a better option for 1440p gaming? I'm not expecting to get a cohesive reply so don't worry folks.

18. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    At least in HH's tests an 1800X speed Ryzen matched the Intel speeds in 1440p gaming + then ofc you get all the other advantages of Ryzens extra cores etc.

The counter to that is I imagine if you dropped the GFx options down to medium at 1440p to try to get to 144fps you may very well see a replication of 1080p style graphs next to Intel.

19. The Commenter

The Commenter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Tri X x2
    How does the 1700 perform in VR against it's competitors?
    All I've been hearing about is how Vr is the future of gaming but not one reviewer has touched the subject when referring to the Ryzen 7 cpus vs 7700k.

20. favelle75

favelle75 Member

GPU:
    PowerColor RX480
    How is it not a better option?