NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    This post is amazing. Thank you guys.

2. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    best thread ever :)

3. PetSild

PetSild New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Version DCS 1.5 works under DX11. Thank you for the answer.

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    You can try to run with Downsampling if the game doesn't make the UI smaller with bigger resolutions.

5. ikamibr

ikamibr New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Any flags for Revelation Online?

6. ancalimon

ancalimon Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GTX1070
    Is there an AA flag for SGSSAA that works with Mass Effect 2 ?

While the ones I found work with Mass Effect 1 and 3, none work with Mass Effect 2.

This does not work here with latest Nvidia drivers and GTX1070: 0x080000C1

7. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
  8. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Timothy Lottes posted something interesting recently.
    https://timothylottes.github.io/20170315.html
    https://www.shadertoy.com/view/XsfyWS

Really shows just how much better an off shoot based on SGSSAA could potentially be. (Which says a lot considering how good it looks in many games. But in a lot of others, it's possible to see the short comings)
    Or even just better resolve filtering. (Something highly disappointing about many PS4Pro games with 1080p output SSAA from higher res)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  9. 3DGuru

3DGuru Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1080 JetStream
    Hello PPl I'm new here. Just wanted to ask as said in post #3677 by @Guzz it's possible to rewrite the AoT WOF exe file to fix the 1080p cap. I'm trying since 6+ hrs but I can't get behind how the resolutions are stored in this hex code. If I try to edit a hex value I think the way it's done, the resolution is no more selectable.
    Please give me an advise.
    Best regards

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    SGSSAA works perfectly in Nier:Automata with 0x000000C1. Have fun!

11. RaygeSTG

RaygeSTG New Member

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X
    I just tried this and didn't see a difference. I didn't think DX11 games worked with this method.

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Game has MSAA, so what you are doing is probably just enhancing and playing off the in game MSAA if the game is DX11

13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    RaygeSTG
    MrBonk

Actually did some testing, it appears that MSAA gets applied, and nothing else besides that. So my bad, placebo i guess.

However Fxaa does work ( surprise ), and MSAA appears to work, but need to compare more.

Overall for Dx11 game they could have done a better job.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It's just a matter of DX11 requiring the developer take care of the users since Nvidia never wanted to bother. The problem is most don't really care or know, or don't bother beyond the baseline console stuff. Or if they do, it's pretty lazy standard SSAA that is hit and miss in quality.

You should try using "enhance application setting" and setting 4xMSAA and 4xSGSSAA along with 4xMSAA set in game.

I would also try enhancing with TrSSAA or 4xS+2xtrSSAA(2xMSAA set in game) in addition to using some downsampling.

There is also another method, if enhancing TrSSAA works.
    Use 2xMSAA in game, enhance 2xTrSSAA, enable FXAA on the game profile and then use 1.5x1.5 |2.25x(or as close to as you can) DSR. Higher if possible.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Turns out Nier is more messed up than thought.

Their line of "4k is not officially supported" goes beyond what you'd think. Game's internal resolution is locked to 2k basically. I mean don't even, it's not hard to support arbitrary resolutions. There's already a fix.

Shouldn't expect more I guess considering they couldn't even get a stable 1080p60 out of PS4Pro. (When has Platinum ever gotten a stable 60 out of anything????)
    And I can see why too, the game is savage in performance. 1600x900 I've seen usage up to 80% when some alpha effects are going.(Otherwise 50-60%) And this with MSAA and SSAO disabled. At 1080p with 4x or 8xMSAA GPU usage instantly jumps to 100. With 2xMSAA it's in the 70-100% range.

In-engine (1600x900 video files! /face palm)30FPS FMVs couldn't even be bothered to super sample them. So tons of aliasing there in places. Compression is actually not bad so at least there's that. (Mind you these are apparently MPEG-2 videos. Yes you read that.)But that's gonna hurt for anything higher than 1080p and in the future 5 years down the road when the game is stuck with those 1600x900 FMVs. (No game should do this in 2017. It was bad enough with Rising)
    What's worse is that all the ones i've seen could clearly be done in engine no problem. (Like one that is literally like 5-10 seconds long that switches back and forth in engine really quick. It's just like really???) There are small scenes done in engine at 60FPS. They just don't have the DoF and stronger Motion blur.

SSAO is awful. Shadow draw distances/Lod distances are really short.
    Platinum needs to hire some new people or let someone else port their games. (In this case however, Square Enix would probably **** it up more themselves.)

And with all the scaling issues, it's like they only tested this game at 1080p. And only 1080p. The game, which runs at 1600x900 on standard Ps4, doesn't even run properly in 1600x900 full screen.

How, does this **** make it past testers? I doubt it does, I bet management just says "That's shippable. Maybe we'll fix it if enough people complain!"
    And this is Square Enix. They do not fix. ANYTHING. EVER.

https://abload.de/img/nierautomata_2017_03_l3lul.png

Lawd have mercy.

Anywho, you CAN enhance the game with SGSSAA. However, edge quality becomes worse than standard in game MSAA and most fine specular issues and other stuff are just missed.

Ex: 4xSGSSAA https://abload.de/img/nierautomata_2017_03_7cxlr.png

MFAA doesn't work properly either. Just fuzzy edges that look worse.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017

16. Dweeb

Dweeb Guest

GPU:
    GTX680 4gb
    Amen:)

I just got done messing around with that full screen resolution mod but it doesn't work well at all for my 16:10 display and for some reason it drastically reduced my FPS instead of improving it like the readme implied it would! The AO has some post-AA built into it by the way, but it seems really blurry to me.

Back to fiddling with AA settings trying to find how much I can push my 1070 while keeping my unstable 58-60 frame rate.

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Not able to see anything other than AO turning on and off with the AO setting.

Also, I mispoke. MFAA looks fine. It benefits 2x and 4xMSAA a little bit.

As well, SGSSAA does help temporally with some stuff, after testing again. But it just misses too much to feel worth while. 2xSGSAA is a waste of rendering power. And you'd probably need a 1080 Ti to get 60FPS with 4xSGSSAA.

18. Dweeb

Dweeb Guest

GPU:
    GTX680 4gb
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/203877
    AO on/off. I can really notice it in my game since I have some sharpening messing up those ugly ground textures. It smooths it right up.

Also this though I haven't tried it.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=887370335

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    > Game's internal resolution is locked to 2k basically.

But that's not true at all. There are some buffers which seem to not scale with resolution and this affects the quality of postprocessing in some cases but otherwise the game renders in whatever resolution you select.

20. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Native 3840x2160 resolution works just fine, it seems.
    This is exactly why it is not a good idea to be fully dependent on DSR or other custom resolution solutions these days:
    https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=11325408&postcount=2507

Personally I couldn't be happier not having to deal with DSR/custom resolutions much anymore (Asus PG27AQ monitor).
    Certainly DSR is great for 5760x3240 (3840x2160 + 2.25xDSR) in older UE3 games or similar, but otherwise it is such a pleasure to just run at native resolution in all games and be done with it.