Quick comparison: Geforce GeForce 378.66 versus 378.78 DirectX 12 performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    *cof* "33% improvement" *cof*

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    eh I dont see differences it all looks to be with in margin of error maybe they forgot to actual put the improvements "in" the drivers?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310

"Up to" I'm guessing, pair a 1080Ti or whatever with a weaker CPU and it might show more substantial gains from this optimization but eh I have no idea what the driver side of things look like for DX12, wasn't it meant to move over to the developers.
    (As expected multi-GPU supported lagging behind but there are some gains here and there for both AMD and Nvidia GPU's even if overhead problems for AMD probably makes it look like a bigger win for AMD with DX12 or how to say.)

I do like what DOOM did with Vulkan though but I'm using a AMD GPU and well for D3D11 on AMD you "only" have a variable driver overhead issue with CPU usage or some such whereas OpenGL 4.x is well it seems OGL (All versions?) on AMD is semi-effed or something far as I've read so understandably Vulkan showed some really nice improvements if that's anywhere near true. :p

As for AMD overhead I don't really know how big of a thing that is for D3D11, testing with something like a 5960X you'd think that would eliminate it quite handily but maybe not?
    (Then again games are just starting to benefit a bit from hexa core so eh, finally? :p )

EDIT: Nice to see D3D12 can be optimized via drivers of course, whether it's AMD or Nvidia, gains are always a plus. :D

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nvidia was also comparing it to the 1080 release driver.. which definitely makes the 16% slightly misleading. But whatever, I'll take any increase I can get.

6. evilos

evilos Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 G1
    i can confirm that Hitman is runing better, at 4k its almost 6 to 10fps, that is massive gain!! thank you Nvidia!! now i can play Hitman in 4k using single GTX 1080 :) very impresive gj

7. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
  8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    They seem to have ironed out the issues with Hitman, everything else seems within the margin of error.

9. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I'll be getting the 1080ti once 3rd party cards with better cooling arrives
    Until then,

Can someone confirm any performance boost with this driver vs the older one with maxwell cards? Like 970,980, 980ti and titan x?

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    So guru is comparing it to a different driver than what Nv used, only to turn around and say the gains are not there. Right..

I mean, why not do both, a recent one and the old driver ?
    This way we can check on Nvs claim, but also compare the gains vs a newer release.

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Because it's been 10PM here and at one point I do need some free time? Perhaps I'll have a peek tomorrow and compare to the launch driver as yes, obviously everybody is never updating drivers and are still using a May 2016 drivers, right?

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, I don't get why Nvidia compared it to the launch driver.. unless it was just out of convenience because they already had the launch driver fps numbers in a spreadsheet somewhere or something.

13. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    The question is maybe why Nvidia is using an so old driver or why they have use this bad communication ? ..

If the initial point was, 1 year ago, we had this performance on DX12 games and today the performance are this.. ok...

But....

Directly from Nvidia site:

You find it fair to put an" * " on the right lower corner on the benchmark for tell you this is compared with an 1year old driver ? And surely for some games how they was run 1 year ago before the multiple patches who have been on made on thoses engines, games ?

14. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    However, the question is what's the fps in DX11 on a gtx 1080? Because if DX11 is still faster (for nvidia cards obviously, I know AMD does get a nice boost with DX12 in Hitman) than this, than it's not really an improvement. It's just slightly less worse.

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Using a "normal" CPU should probably show actual improvements. Top-end enthusiasts won't see much benefit. But "average joe" gamers with normal CPUs should. And I think that's the area that should be tested.

This has been the case with previous drivers already. Switching from OGL to Vulkan for Doom 4 for example on a Sandy Bridge i5 makes the game go from 110FPS to 150FPS. Doing the same with top-end CPUs reportedly doesn't result in improvements (and in some cases people report slight performance drops even.)

16. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    The numbers of Nividia give are at 4K max settings, i dont really think CPUs are the bottlneck anymore there. And honestly i doubt Nvidia is benching with low end CPU's lol.

17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I was expecting this driver. Already knew what it was compared to, but, it's not enough Nvidia. Try harder.

<------ Greedy b*****d.

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    NVIDIA is now supposedly wholeheartedly in the whole low level API thing, I wonder what that would mean for titles they sponsor. Probably nothing I have a feeling.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I was curious myself about that, as the previous game also didn't do the greatest with Nvidia hardware either
    Low level api's are still iffy though, things have to get worse before they can get better.

More Nvidia sponsored DX12 games would be nice, as so far they seem to do a better job.

20. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    It won't get marketed like crazy until Volta. The Pascal architecture just isn't all there. :/