Natural & Realistic Lighting for Watch_Dogs

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Danvsw, May 6, 2016.

1. LolKekChebureck

LolKekChebureck Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 1070
    Main Version for Windows 7 is not available :(

2. TheCrasher

TheCrasher Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti 11g
    What are you talking about, you have to read it in order to find the DL.

3. The Silver

The Silver Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  4. Danvsw

Danvsw Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yeah, the link was disabled for some ToS violation, I don't know why.

Anyway, I've re-uploaded it and replaced the link. Thanks for the heads up.

5. Markie

Markie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    Hello Danvsw!

Im a great fan of your mod, for me it's one of the best graphical mods ever made for any game.

But i'm having problems right now. It may seem very weird, but all of a sudden your pack started showing fog and noticeable bloom in-game (although i know that you didn't put it like that, first because it wasn't even there when i first downloaded your mod).

It was very random and i can't find a logical reason to it. I am 100% sure that the fog/bloom that i'm having right now was not there before. Do you have any ideas about what may be causing that? I never messed with your files here, all i did was to change your .patch files for others, when i was trying other mods.

Now it seems that i can't get it to look as intended no matter what i do, i tried deleting files, downloading your mod again, and i just reinstalled the game, but it still shows strong bloom and fog which are not present even in your videos and screenshots.

What do i do???

EDIT: I'm analysing stuff a bit and i noticed that actually not only fog and bloom are different, but overral visuals are too, at least a bit. The colors aren't exactly as they were here/are in your videos, and the only conclusion i can get from all of this is that the ".patch" files aren't being taken as a "patch" anymore and the game is simply ignoring/confusing the modded files, i may be wrong though...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  6. Danvsw

Danvsw Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    That is weird. Maybe your save file is glitched? Have you tried sleeping in a hideout for a few days? Or restarting the game (new save file)?
    As long as my modded patch.dat and patch.fat are in your data_win64 folder, the game should recognize it as the patch.
    Can you post a screenshot or something?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  7. Markie

Markie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    This. I think i solved it.

Turns out that the game apparently suffers from "fallout 3 syndrome".

What i mean is that if a mod causes a bug or any kind of confusion in general, it "sticks" to the savegame even if you revert changes or even restore the entire vanilla files. I just started a new save and everything is working fine again. I just wonder what exactly caused this and why it happened at a specific moment, there is no logic. I have always been swapping modded files and that never happened until now, it was totally random.

For now everything seems fine, but i'm afraid that trying other mods will cause it again :/

Thanks for the help, it's great that you are still giving support in your mod page.

Also, i'd like to ask: Is the "interior-exterior" lightning bug unfixable? Did you ever manage to do anything about it? For me it's pretty much the only downside of your mod, and the only thing that "reveals" that the game is modded. Apart from that, all of your other "Known Issues" aren't a problem for me, everything works/looks fine.

8. Danvsw

Danvsw Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    No problem. Yeah it's annoying that some mods stick to the save file, though I've never personally had to make a new save. See if you can back up your save before trying other mods.
    About interior/exterior lighting bug, unfortunately I don't know why it happens and never figured out a way to fix it. Sorry mate.

9. Markie

Markie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    I'll start backuping saves.

No problem.

Thanks for your support, and keep up!

Do you have any other project ongoing? It's been some time since you last posted anything on your YT channel, Twitter and Flickr. I wonder what are you working on now.

10. Danvsw

Danvsw Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yeah, GTAV. My last tweet is still relevant, it's just taking me a while. Still working on it every day.

11. mlleemiles

mlleemiles Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 4400
    What is the interior-exterior bug?

12. KookMaster5000

KookMaster5000 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC
    It's the change in brightness when exiting or entering interior. It's caused by the change in exposure values between two areas, interior and exterior. Some see it as a bug, but I really think it's supposed to be that way. vanilla does it as well. Not only that, bot most games with unified lighting systems contain some kind of "exterior interior lighting bug". GTA V for example, does this exact same thing.

It's really, from what I understand, meant to replicate that "light at the end of the tunnel" look. When you're in a dark tunnel, the light at the end looks significantly brighter than it does when you actually approach the outside. This also allows for the brightness of the interior to increase while inside it, that way you can better see what's inside than you could while you were outside.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  13. Danvsw

Danvsw Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Nah mate, it's not the exposure. When entering interiors/tunnels, the lighting outside changes completely and things like fog, reflections and other shaders disappear entirely. Here's an example (right after exiting a tunnel):

[​IMG]

14. txgt

txgt Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6G
    Never saw the sunlight pop up on the exit from a tunnel during rain in Vanilla.
    Check these interior xmls:
    E3_2013.Clear_Lighting.Clear_Lighting_interior.xml
    E3_2013.Clear_Lighting.Clear_Lighting_IntWithWindows.xml
    There should be a setting like this:
    <field name="bSunLightIntensityOverride" type="Boolean">False</field>

If it's already on "False" then I suspect this happens because you use only 2 weather presets Clear and Storm. You should've made the corresponding changes in Automatic Weather section.
    And because you didn't that may happen when current weather state is hanging somewhere in between Clear and Storm.

Also check/compare with Vanilla all the "interior" Environment Containers in windycity.xml. Maybe restoring them will help.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  15. Danvsw

Danvsw Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Hey thanks man, I compared the windy_city xmls like you said and found this "InteriorWindows" container that for some reason had a different value in "envlightingsettingsEnvironmentLighting", no idea why. But it was the culprit apparently. It looks much better now:

[​IMG]

Fog and some other shaders still disappear when entering interiors/tunnels, but I guess this is a thing in the vanilla game that can't be fixed.

Here are the updated XMLs:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/5cliedu5ee9b9g8

By the way txgt, random question, do you happen to know how to increase the distance of fog during rainy weather?

16. Danvsw

Danvsw Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Added the updated files to the OP (under known issues). Thanks to MOJ98 for bringing attention to this and thanks to txgt for helping fix it.

[​IMG]

17. txgt

txgt Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6G
    Good to know I could help. If you want the fog to stay far away use this setting in your Storm <EnvironmentSettingsContainer: envfogsettingsFog="1991434354"

18. Markie

Markie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    This great!!! Now it really feels like this mod is on a definitive state.

I really wish Ubisoft developers could see the work modders did on this game, including this mod right here. It's looks very polished and "vanilla", that is, not tweaked and modded in a lazy way, but in a complete and careful way.

If you stop to think, it's kinda ridiculous how, for example, WD with Danvsw's mod looks better than pretty much any GTA V "extreme graphics mod" and better than the biggest majority of realistic (present days) open world games, if it's not THE best looking one right now.

Also, it looks better than WD2 itself, ironic huh? And all of that without terribly murdering performance. I can run the game at 1080p, high settings at over 30+fps with this mod with a GTX 760 + i5 2400, it really is impressive for the graphical level that i see on-screen. It makes it feel like developers never do the "full job" on tweaking and exploring graphical features as much as possible, only a few games give that feeling, like Uncharted 4 or the recently released Horizon Zero Dawn for example (console exclusives, notably).

I want to congratulate Danvsw's, txgt, and all of the other old and new modders here who did such work to this game! It feels fresh just because of the mods, and shows the industry of gaming that they could explore the full potential of an engine without killing performance. WD became a great example for the general modding community.

@Danvsw - A random question for you :p
    Why would you want to put fog farther away on rainy weather?
    I'm not saying that you shouldn't, i just think that it looks pretty correct the way it is right now.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  19. Danvsw

Danvsw Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Pretty good, thanks again mate.

Thanks man. Appreciate the kind words.
    About fog, I know it's correct, I just personally really dislike fog in video games. The effect itself never looks convincing enough to me. So I prefer it far away.

20. HeySlickThatsMe

HeySlickThatsMe Master Guru

GPU:
    No Record
    Thanks for the fix , Im using this mod aswell :p