The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xafier

xafier Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 290
    Info provided by Siliconlottery.com, guess it will be a while before we have seen enough samples to say this is accurate?

Ryzen 7 1700
    93% reach 3.8GHz @ 1.376V
    70% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.408V
    20% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.440V

Ryzen 7 1700X
    100% reach 3.8GHz @ 1.360V
    77% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.392V
    33% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.424V

Ryzen 7 1800X
    100% reach 3.8GHz (assumed)
    97% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.376V
    67% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.408V
    20% reach 4.1GHz @ 1.440V

2. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Hah, yeah thats a no brainer. Might just keep my 4770K and squeeze some more out of it and get myself a 1080Ti instead.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Me changing from my 3770k is a no brainer really.

4. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I am leaning to the x1700, better value. I am still considering the 1700, but right now the x1700. Just need a motherboard to buy though.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Well... I don't quite know. The problem is that my 3770K @ 4,4 GHz might be faster in games that aren't well multithread (and web browsing, lulz). But if I would buy Ryzen now it would definitely be the 1700 instead of 1800X. Buying 1800X makes zero sense to me since all those Ryzens seem to overclock to ~4 GHz.

Ryzen refresh with, say, 300-500 MHz more (thanks to process improvements or different process) and optimisations (architecture, software) on top of that... Now that would be obvious choice.

So, I'll guess I wait a bit. When I upgrade my CPUs the new one must be faster than my current one in every situation.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Now Big Bro' 32/64 server side of the force :nerd:
    ->

[​IMG]

2xSLI 1080 EVG'a i7 6850 & 1800X (Hmm so CF or SLI is a go with ryZEN :) )
    ->

[​IMG]

PS.
    I love those Hype Trains lolz (keeps me worm & occupied)
    Still waiting for the MOBO :bang:
    UPD. (ASUS will be avaible here around 9-10 march)

So next week = :banana:

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    My needs are outside of gaming but even then current system I have is somewhat broken. Having anything open in the background will decrease my fps in ow by 40 and even then it's missing maybe 50 from where it should be. And max oc 4.2ghz

8. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    another finding. When my DDR4 is set @2933, it deactivates the XFR. I set the memory back to default frequency and XFR is again active (up to 4.1 Gigs on one or the other core). WHY, is this a bios bug? Can somebody else confirm my finding? With Default Memory, the single core benchmark in Cinebench is 6-8% higher, actually as it should be. It make not so much difference when all CPU cores are used!

9. GAR818

GAR818 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    Ok, here is my status on the 1700x I own and some insight into this whole Ryzen thing after 2 full days with it. Do I like it? Yes and No.

Im sitting at 4.1ghz with 1.450v which does great in the games I have testes, I am only using a gtx 1060 for the moment, will be picking up the 1080ti or Vega soon.

Memory, temps are the biggest issue with this platform. Ram for me is not stable anything above 2133mhz, even at stock clocks, only adjusting memory frequency is an issue, my board also will not set the timings properly, it chooses its own timings based on the speed I choose, anyone else experience this with the crosshair 6? tried 2 different sticks and both of them have the same issue, anything above 2133 is not stable.

Temps, expect Idle temps in the 50s and load in the 70s and 80s, I am using the Swiftech H320 prestige, a good AIO liquid cooler. I am using bios 5704, will try the new 5803 bios but I dont see it on the Asus website, should I download it and install anyway, is it safe?

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    XFR doesn't work when overclocking. 2933 memory speed is not supported officially so that would kinda mean you are overclocking the memory and XFR gets turned off in that case (assuming that it's not a bug).

11. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    ok so looks like 2667 frequency with 2 dims is allowed. I'll need to test it!

Edit: XFR won't work if Memory is not in Auto mode, at least in case of my mobo.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Why bother with XFR? Just whack the thing up to 4ghz and leave it there.

13. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    just experimenting man :wanker:! I do not want to overclock until MSI do not solve the wrong temperature readings :3eyes:!

14. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I got mine from overclockers.co.uk, believe it or no their prices hiked up on the very day Ryzen got released, so there appears to be a trend.

I got my 1700 to 4GHz with all threads not 100% stable but can run stress tests for about 10mins, then it locks up then goes into a bit of a bootloop, intill i clear CMOS, if i shut down normally it's fine in booting back up. I am using the AMD Wraith Spire (stock cooler) so i think it maybe a thermal issue thinking of a triple AIO Rad. BTW i don't trust the temp sensor, once i hit a certain voltage it just thinks my CPU is running cool while touching the HSF says otherwise lol!

so 33% overclock 3GHz to 4GHz and memory running at 3.2GHz at the same time, can't grumble at that.

Broke right now so will get the 360 rad a little later on, hopefully by then they will include the AM4 bracket.

http://valid.x86.fr/tegj7d

I am using the official 0702 BIOS, however i was able to get my memory to 3200Mhz even with the 0602 that came with the board without an issues, not sure what chips these are but is suspect Samsung IC's. Also are you using A2 and B2 slots? This is recommended by ASUS, these are the dark grey slots.

15. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080

16. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    makes you wonder if amd is planning a quad channel "x390" platform for the future.

17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Looking forward on yours thoughts on the Taichi board, this board I'm considering as well but all depends if ASRock will release Extreme versions of their boards as well

Bought already Ryzen 1700,returned back 1800x as in my case not worth it to get as I will be OC

Regarding the RAM, I went on mine X99 as well with 16GB stocks only as getting or running 4GB or even 8GB is not worth it in my view

Price is not bad, few months back I bought over on eBay unused brand new sealed 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz for £185 plus postage and my 32GB 2400MHz Vengeance LPX set cost me £250 over in Scan

Thanks, Jura

Hi there

I would expect they will work although not sure on Asus as I have owned only X99 Asus Deluxe and few others on other platforms and this board didn't recognised 16GB sticks at all and bought rather ASRock where I know board will take them and will support, but that's on Intel boards, not sure how it works on AMD boards and X370 boards as whole

Prices of RAM going up as weak pound and Brexit effect plus prics of RAM are going up as well on other markets and I don't think prices will go down anytime but agree getting 16GB sticks like 8GB its not worth

But looking forward on yours view if they work on yours

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

A consideration I have for the 1700X over the 1700 is the posssibility that it may support faster memory once the bios microcode is tweaked etc. I would have to imagine there is more to the difference between the 1700 and 1700X giving the price difference. I have read on a review site (Tweaktown maybe?) that they managed to clock the RAM faster on the 1700X than the 1700, all else being equal.

I would think that both will allow higher clocked RAM once new microcode and bioses become available, it might just be that the 1700X can go hgiher.

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well my board committed suicide today. It happened the same exact way that other people have been reporting. I was testing some memory at 3200Mhz all fine and going well , all of the sudden i reboot it to get into the bios but instead of entering the bios the motherboard decided to auto update the bios all by itself without warning , i waited more than an hour and it got stuck updating the bios. No Asus software or EZ flash was installed :/ , i don't get it.

I have tried everything to my knowledge to bring her back to life , i got tired of trying flashback all the bios that are available including beta bios , but no luck so far. I'm awaiting for a response from Asus , sh !t like this are not suppose to happen. Let's see what can i do with it , if not R.I.P i foresee an rma incoming :cry:

This is exactly what happened to me and many other users:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE4sxXva9Eg&t=651s

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5xhflf/be_aware_of_asus_crosshair_vi_hero/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5xn51g/my_asus_crosshair_vi_hero_got_bricked/

Will keep you guys updated ;)

20. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I bricked my Asus board to when flashing BIOS, was able to recover. Created USB drive on another computer fat32 down load BIOS renamed it.While computer is off put the USB into bottom middle back USB port. Press the crashfree BIOS button on back wait till light goes out then you can boot the computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.