MSI also teases Custom GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    MSI is teasing the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X edition. The graphics card obviously comes all customized and is paired with a TwiNFrozr based cooler and two fans....

MSI also teases Custom GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

2. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    Awesome, this will be the next GPU I get. I love my current MSI 980 Ti it is the exact same model style and it is so quiet in normal mode goes into a passive state which is so cool.

Man all I need is a 1800x + X370 GAMING PRO CARBON mobo and I would be all set. I am going to go all MSI this time and take a break from Asus. Just wish I had the money now to go forward with the upgrade it would be so awesome. :( all well one can dream, got to at least find a way to get that GPU and sell a bunch of stuff.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I need to go back to MSI :) They really hit the spot with their awesome cooler.

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I said it many times... it's amazeballs! :nerd:

@MSI

[​IMG]

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh the good old times when MSI was allowed to put double the VRAM on their cards (580 Lightning XE with 3GB instead of the usual 1.5).... I miss those days, best GPU buy ever for me :)

I'll see for reviews and board layouts from the partners, but MSI already is on the short list :D

6. HittriX

HittriX Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    I also want the MSI one :)

7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @varkkon
    You would be better off getting an asrock board, since their power design is a bit better, offers more phases and vrm quality right now seems to be better than what others offer.
    Get the 1700, add a 240 aio and clock it to 4ghz...

8. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    Hmm I checked out their boards http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp#AM4 they do look solid, I like them.

The reason I went with the MSI board is I want to go RAID1 with two M.2 slots
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#productFeature-section I think you can do the same thing on the Asrock mobos though. Now I am wondering if the Asrock have the slots in a better location heat wise? Since they are so dependent on heat for performance maybe the MSI location right beside the main GPU may be an issue.

I am a indie game dev most of the day so I need make sure I don't loose any of my work with a drive dying that is why I want to go max speed and mirror with the M.2. I build Visual Studio more than a 1000 times a day so the speed of the M.2 and the 16 thread will be massive to save time on my work.

Of course for my gaming in multi screen 5760x1080 it will own as well :)

So its a tough call, not sure which to get. I have had a MSI mobo its bios and board is real nice I think I like it better than Asus to tell you the truth. Have you had Asrock before(see you rocking a nice Asus board currently), how was it?

9. reb0rn

reb0rn Member

GPU:
    2x MSI gaming x 1070
    I hope they now use main cooler to cool down VRM, 1070/1080 Gaming X had HUGE defect rate due VRM overheat, also their cooler is far from best, its small and fan are slow/silent, due that whole card heat a lot!

10. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Guest

GPU:
    WB Asus Tuf 4090
    The reason i wont begoing MSI ever again is due to the fact i have two MSI 970 Gaming cards... Both should be the same but due to revision... ones about a half inch shorter and does not have the black brace that the other one does. in SLI they look like different GPUS all together. Planning to pic what ever non stock gpu that does not have any video ports in the second slot. wanting to finally have again a waterblocked gpu that takes up only 1 to 1.5 slots. would be sexy.

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    So basically you're saying you'd like 22 GB of graphics memory here :hatty:

12. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    Would love to see more info on this, i have bought a MSI GTX980, GTX980Ti and GTX1080, and i never had any issues with the VRM, in fact there is a big frontal plate that cools the memory and the plates with the air that passes through the cooler, it seems to work fine, but would be interested on cases where they say otherwise.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Agreed :D

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    MOAR COARES! :bugeye:
    Wait, that was something different...

On a more serious note, I was more referring to the cards that are heavily improved compared to the reference board layouts, not just a better cooler, but better components and probably, a few neat features for the die hards. And I want them to take more voltage for us H2O fans :D

15. reb0rn

reb0rn Member

GPU:
    2x MSI gaming x 1070
    Just use IR temp reader, first of all some heat pipes have higher temp then the GPU sensor report, which should be impossible, also VRM temp is higher then the GPU one

That plate is just thin and the cooler airflow is just low to keep it cold, sure you can fix that with manual fan settings of 70-80% fan speed, the ppl using MSI 1070 for cuda works learned it bad way, many cards dies due VRM overheat or bad quality on auto fan speed
    I had one die on auto fan speed (GPU temp was 77-80C) now I keep it below 65C with manual fan settings

For instance Gainward/Palit (phoenix, gamerock) use main block cooler to cool down GPU+VRM+memory no stupid thin plate for mem/VRM, and that card is fine up to 90C on GPU because both VRM/mem then are at same or lower temperature

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I never have noticed this as an issues since I always had manual fan setting on my MSI cards, including the 1070 (I actually have been using the exact same fan setting of my MSI 680 Lightning which remained saved in MSI AB over the years lol). The noise it makes is so low compared to my system fans, especially when gaming that I don't hear it even when it's at +80% so it's very cool all the time.

17. reb0rn

reb0rn Member

GPU:
    2x MSI gaming x 1070
    Anything over 65% on Gaming-x I hear, 80% is to load for me, I am using power limit and 73% fan speed atm