The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    Sorry I only got the Trial version of AIDA so some stuff might be missing.

Memory / Cache wise it is almost the same as Hilbert gets in the review with 2146CL15. The rest:

CPU Queen: 82986
    CPU PhotoWorxx: 18633
    CPU ZLib: 700.5
    CPU AES: 65604
    CPU Hash: 22393

edit: Can hear the fans on my cooler spin up once in a while now which they did not using the 0502 BIOS. Kinda makes me wonder which (if any) measurement / tool reports correctly ;)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    not bad!

3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Can you try this monitoring software, I'm using this mainly on my builds, its good as he can control most of AIO from Corsair or NZXT without installing or using SW from Corsair or NZXT

http://rh-software.com

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Anyone running a Noctua nh-d15 with a Ryzen? How are the temps?

5. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    You have probably worked this one out by now, but just in case:

The 1800X will run at about 3.7GHz on all cores when under heavy stress. Under slightly lighter loads it boosts on some cores up to 4GHz. (I'm not actually sure right now how many cores boost up to 4GHz by default)

You can of course (most manage) to overclock it to 4GHz on all cores which will boost performance in some situations.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Gratz to everyone running their new builds and thanks for sharing your experiences!

Itch to upgrade is strong... the 1700 ain't expensive really for a 8 core cpu either. Still would like to see 6 core R5 before deciding.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  7. okismoki

okismoki Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080ti FTW 3
    Great thread :D ordering the 1700 as soon as a f...... 370x mobo is available in this country. Anyone with the crosshairs hero used the am3 mount for their cooler?

8. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    Yep, I did, you will have to bring your own AM3 backplate though (had an old board lying around...).

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The thing is... The CH VI Hero is not all that available to buy atm. In fact, most boards are pre-order only right now. Shame. Hero does have AM3 mounting holes though so it should not be a problem.

10. okismoki

okismoki Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080ti FTW 3
    Ah crap dont have one of those well looks like i have to buy a new cooler since it looks like i threw away anything i didnt need. Thank you for the reply :) eclap, yes i noticed that there is not one retalier in this country with an x370 mobo. still unscertain what mobo i was thinking about an Arctic Freezer 360 as my new cooling anyone with some eksperince with those?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017

11. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    I'm not sure if the Arctic Freezer will be provided with AM4 kits. But you can still get an AM3 backplates rather cheap.

12. okismoki

okismoki Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080ti FTW 3
    I checked with them and they will send out a free am4 mounting kit :) i have a nzxt kraken X61 but as ryzen is solderd and i have room for it in my case i would like to go with a 360. altso if i opt to use this i would need to wait a month (if i understood the information correctly) before i recive am4 mounting kit from nzxt. Update wooohoo orderd a Taichi and 1700 now its the waiting game :D

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Glad to hear your board did not died, can you tell me what Bios failed to install on your board ? That would be good to know so that other people do not use that Bios and end up doing the same thing.

Are you using now the latest unofficial beta 5803 from Elmor at hwbot or the official beta bios 5704 from Asus website download ? Thank you in advanced.
    I will be receiving tomorrow morning my Asus Crosshair Vl Hero , BIOSTAR X370GT5 and my first R7 x1700 , more cpus to follow , finally time to play :D ...

14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    What about Original Cooler backplates for AM3+ then?
    Should work.

15. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Now after 2 strong days with my MSI B350 Tomahawk a short summary below:

- The system is pretty stable and look like this mobo can take some "punishment" :wanker:.

- The bios Version1 (was delivered with it) of the mobo is not so bad afterall and is the one only bios available to date (06.03.2017).

- HPET (High Precision Event Timer) options are available in bios. You should disable HPET as I've seen that the system is more "snappier" and more stable after that! Even if it say in Windows that is deaktivated, in reality is stil active, therefore disable it in bios until it passes the "beta" status!

- The settings for RAM shall be made in small steps. Do install the DIMM's the way MSI manual suggest otherwise WILL NOT BOOT and the RAM/CPU error LED's will be lit. Do not use the DIMM Slot near to CPU socket only if you use 4 DIMM's. The XMS RAM timings are not considered when loaded. Please note that default or Auto is at 15/15/15/30 (also after XMS profyle is loaded) in bios so before you adjust your frequency you need to consider changing the timings first. If you adjust the frequency without adjusting the timings you'r more than certain above RAM specification and the system will not boot. The timings are changed using +/- (this is so '97 :3eyes:) you cannot type them in! The adjustement depth of the RAM is actually what you need for" level. My old ASUS Crosshair V had a more comprehensive adjustement possibility that anyway I never used :).
    I'm on a frequency of 2933 with Corsair Vengeance standard timings. Sonn I will elevate towards 3200 and maybe start overclock the CPU a little!

- No SMT option in the bios (Valid for Version 1 only)!

- Core deactivation options availabe.

- Bios reset jumper pins are very near to videocard (my case Sapphire VaporX Trix OC 209x). There is no jumper delivered and cannot be used with the videocard installed, therefore you need a long screwdriver to contact the jumper pins and reset the bios.

- A very comprehensive boot up option system is available. I need to deactivate 12 and keep only my SSD as it should be!

- The FAN's controller operate smooth and very efficient.

- The Temperatures now:

a) CPU temperature readings are all over the place! It varies between 50°C and 60°C during usual desktop activities and maxed out in prime95 at about 68°C. The measured temperatures behind the CPU (using a laser temp reader) during stress do not exceed 50 °C. The cooling agent temperature in my Corsair loop system (read with Link and measured at the surface of the hoses) do not exceed 32°C (ambient 23°C) during desktop activities. This means that considering a dT of max 5°C (between cooling agent and CPU surface) the CPU temperature do not exceed 37°C actually. This defines an temperature error reading of at least +13°C above reality. I do belive that is somewhere between +13°C (Min)...+20°C (Max) actually!! Please note that I used my Corsair H100i with AM3+ original retention system that works perfect for AM4!!

b) CPU VRM Temperatures are pretty acceptable. The 4 ones on the left of the CPU (VCORE VR's) stay at 40°C during windows activities and during Prime the temperature do not exceed 60°C. The 2 ones on top (presumably SOC VR's not so active during high CPU load) of the CPU do not exceed 45°C (could be also heat take-over from CPU and/or near-by VCORE VR's) during Prime, therefore during windows idle the temp. increase is barrely noticeable! MSI did a great job in keeping these babies cold :nerd:. I do belive we will see cheap mobos even without the VRM heatsinks!

c) Mobo temperature sensor works very well. As my videocard drops the heat inside the case, the temperature increase really matches my previos experience with the temps levels!

d) Chipset temperature levels are not worth discussing about, is either the heatsink very efficient or the chipset is pretty cold. The temperature of the heatsink follows the ambient temperature with a +2°C....+5°C add-on.

- If you have a 3 Slot videocard, the S-ATA 3/4 cannot be used as are covered by the videocard.

- General performance of S-ATA and USB's is as expected, very good!

- The sound card was not tested as I own a PCI Creative X-Fi Gamer Fatality Pro -> this beeing the reason for this particular mobo!

- The general layout and arrangement is good. The mobo red lights on the back could have been more powerfull, you really need to be carefully to realise that something is lit :3eyes:. The sound card LED line (left lower part of the mobo) is a neat add-on. Works with the mobo soudcard deactivated in bios and have different setups (continuous, pulse once, pulse double...) to play with (adjustable over the MSI Game App only).

- The MSI software suite is very neat. Works as expected, fully stable and especially MSI Game App (with system readings) is an important add-on to your monitoring system. It works together with MSI afterburner like a charm aswell.

Why MSI and not ASUS/Gigabyte?

- First because of the native PCI conections!
    - I was dissapointed by the bios support from ASUS. I owned for years a Crosshair V (for my FX8350) and also now after almost 5 years I'm still on beta bios version with things either missing or not working correctly. Software support from ASUS is by far not as good as from MSI (altough for many of you doesn't mean anything) putting MSI near to end user! At every ASUS bios update just had the feeling that my mobo will brick!
    - Gigabyte I found to be a very solid competitor to MSI but they did not offer native PCI support at the time I ordered the mobo! I owned a old AM3 gigabyte mobo (MA 790FXT UD-5P) and I was Ok with it, excepting the fact that was pretty boring :infinity:.

[​IMG]

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Some tests :) 3.9GHz on 1.286mV lolz

-> http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/a...zen-7-1800X-Processor-Review/10#axzz4aX7i5a79

-> http:// www e.teknix_com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-am4-8-core-processor-review/2/

Ryzen 7 1800X Overclocking

Overclocking is actually fairly easy on AMDs new platform. They’ve actually developed a new tool that’s very similar to their GPU utility that makes overclocking a more simple affair. All Ryzen CPUs are also unlocked, leaving the ability to overclock to be decided by the level of motherboard you decide to purchase. Both the X370 and B350 can OC, while the A320 cannot.

With the utility provided by AMD, it’s simple a matter of finding the right mixture of increased voltage and multiplier. Changes of both are applied instantly upon hitting the apply button and you’ll be able to monitor voltage and temperature to see if it’s stable. With a little experimentation we were able to hit 4.2GHz with a voltage of 1.45. It was stable through Cinebench and we’re conducting more OC tests to ascertain the impact this has on performance beyond that benchmark.

Our sample didn’t necessarily overclock by much past the XFR boost, though it did scale quite well with overclocking. We think that’ll have a similar effect on gaming as well.

-> https://thetechaltar.com/ryzen-1800x-raises-bar/5/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    It was the 5704 beta, but the problem was not the bios itself but using the EZUpdate software. Updating via bios or flashback worked fine. Normally I would stay away from flashing in windows but wanted to see if the AI Suite is worth something. Uninstalled it right after... ;)

18. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
  19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    ? hasn't amd repeatedly said that aida64 does not know how to properly test ryzen cache?

AIDA64 tweeted

? AIDA64
    AMD hadn't sent us a Ryzen before launch. As soon as we can get one, we will fix the L2+L3 benchmarks

So AIDA needs to upgrade also :banana:

20. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    Not sure if this belongs here but, my original plan was to get 8core, but i kinda changed my mind, and just go with 6core when they come.

Maybe the 6core has better oc potential, maybe not. I really don´t need 8cores for my usage, and would just save some cash by going to 6core.

But that all is decided when they come out, and we get real reviews.

Mostly i just game, and sure, my old I7 is working just great, but i still want to upgrade. So, i suppose even the 6core would serve just well.

Any opinions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.