NVIDIA Readies GeForce DirectX 12 Driver, 16% Average Performance Uplift

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by pharma, Mar 2, 2017.

1. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Version number means little with nvidia, it's all about which branch it's from.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    [​IMG]

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I thought I was the only one seeing three different things being conflated as if they were all the same thing.

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The only reason for this which I was able to discern so far is that for some reason people seem to think that tiled rasterization is something which isn't enabled on Maxwell and Pascal right now - which is already false as it is very much enabled even on 750Ti since its launch. Why this is being linked to DX12 when tiled rasterization is relevant in all APIs as any general rasterization optimization would be I have no idea.

5. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    I suppose this new DX12 driver will tie into the Win 10 Creators Update. Just a guess.

So not out before April.

6. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    No it isn't just that.
    "NVIDIA also revealed an upcoming Game Ready Driver optimized for DirectX 12 games."
    and the article dates just a few days ago (28th) and there hasn't really been any driver releases since then.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Why would it be tied to RS2 though?

They are comparing the new driver to 1080 release driver but it's hard to say if this means that these improvements are already implemented in the currently available driver or they're just doing this to show the improvements Pascal will get compared to its launch.

8. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    So will BF1 be usable/viable with DX12 in this new driver? It could really use it considering you can max out CPU on any processor.
    I certainly do with my 1070 at 2126/4520 and 4790k at 4.7GHz.
    DX12 is a stutter fest in BF1 for Nvidia at the moment.

9. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    I play on DX12 and no stutter at all (GTX1080), smooth as silk gameplay (apart from rare network stuttering on starting rounds). I cap frames at 120 fps and it's rock solid 120fps at 1080p.

10. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    New WDDM 2.2 driver model and Shader Model 6 support? Where else would the performance push come from?

11. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Drivers can improve without the OS changing on top of it.
    I don't see how these are tied together. The creators update is still too far away and they would want these drivers out close to the 1080Ti release.

12. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    If you use fast-sync+triple buffering+vsync off in-game, you'll get the same fps. I play SWBF with my son and we get 119-125fps without capping. I hate the occasional network stuttering during the first 1 or 2 rounds. Then boom! fast....

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Uh, driver optimizations? WDDM 2.2 won't bring any performance features and SM6 is something for developers to use in their shaders, not the driver (driver had access to these features for quite some time; developers who were willing to use them too btw, via NVAPI).

14. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    The changes will be in our next Game Ready driver. They are not in the current drivers.

15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Can you say if it will only help Pascal or will it help Maxwell to to some degree?

Just curious as a game like BF1 runs worse for me in Dx12 (larger delta if fps , min/max).

16. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 8G
    Hi Manuel,

What's been up lately, nVIDIA Releases a WHQL Driver then within 2 days a Hotfix Driver to fix up some bugs in the WHQL Driver then sometimes a 2nd hotfix driver to fix more issues.

Whatever happened to quality control? I always preferred nVIDIA GPUs due to the better driver support than AMD but for the past year this has been the norm. I wish there was more quality control.

Also, the latest official driver (not hotfix) is 378.66 released on the 14th of February which was a very buggy driver so unless a customer knows about these hotfix drivers,when they go to the nVIDIA Driver downloads site, that's the driver they are gonna get which is very buggy.

I hope you can release a new stable driver ASAP and send my feedback to the nVIDIA Management as nVIDIA has destroyed the old meaning of WHQL Driver which are were accustomed to, which meant stable / tested drivers.

17. Drimzi

Drimzi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Yeah I would rather wait a month until the fixes are in the next WHQL driver release. /s

Bugs are always discovered and fixed, do you think no bugs have been fixed since now and the last hotfix driver? Do you think they don't test the drivers? Even if they hold on to the drivers for another week before releasing, there will always be something that changes after the release. It could be minutes, days, weeks. Nothing is wrong with their quality control.

18. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Hotfix drivers are for fixing specific issues. If those issues don't apply to you, then you don't have to download and install them.

Driver development (and especially GPU drivers) is extremely complex, and considering how many games and different configurations there are, I think NVidia does a solid job of providing stable and high performing drivers.

I can only speak for myself, but it's very rare that I have driver issues.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Good to hear, looking forward to it :nerd:

20. jonaand

jonaand Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    and anyone know when will be out?