First Ryzen 7 1700X Review finds its way onto the web

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 1, 2017.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Is it really though? Because I agree with Denial on this one:

2. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    People should not forget that Ryzen was marketed as a gaming chip also, so there's no point In saying gaming doesn't matter, and this Is what happens when AMD starts cherry picking their testing methods (Cinebench).

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    We can´t also forget that everyone cherry picks their benchmarks...;)

Good thing that tomorrow we can all really see what Ryzen is worth.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It matters, but it's not what everyone will use a PC for.

Who is saying it won't be a good gaming chip? The games tested here are all very old, while newer games/engine are all going to be designed for more cores and lower clock speeds.

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Well if we're gonna go that way a chip with bad single core performance is a pretty bad "game chip" since 70% of the games only use one core.

6. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Ok, so.. You can't get it for that, But I can. I never said anyone could run out and get it for that, I just posted the link that you could if there was one around you. I'm not anti Ryzen, I wish it would spank intel.

For the record,I'm running an intel 2600k still, but I don't have any issues with games. You can't loose with either company right now, both companies processors will run game just fine. I don't see the need to even upgrade my processor right now.

7. PedroNF

PedroNF Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB
    This, 1,000 times. It would be interesting if someone disabled 4 of the 1700X's cores and benchmarked it at the same clock speeds as the i7-7700K.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The chip doesn't have bad single core performance though.

If someone is going to play the 70% of back catalog games that only use a single core then they are not going to upgrade, if someone wants to upgrade then it's because they want to play the new games that use and need multiple cores.

My next CPU i expect to last 4-5 years at least, and at the moment Intel do not have a product that fits that target and is priced sensibly.

9. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Sure, but the majority of the games out now and that will be released In the next 5 years won't benefit from 8 cores. PC gaming (developers and consumers) haven't made the shift to 8 cores yet.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  10. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I agree with Angrycrab. Most games aren't CPU intensive, its the GPU that is more important. Show me a game that eats up 4 cores.. Maybe 1-2. You could put a 7700k and 1800x side by side and you probably wouldn't know the difference unless you saw benchmarks.

I see no reason to upgrade from my 2600k yet. Unless it was bottlenecking my 1070 which it isn't. Now a 1080ti might..might be a problem. But probably not.

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I think the push to use more cores in games is because of consoles. They have a weak cpu with multiple cores, eight to be exact, so in order to extract the required performance to make games with good graphics, they have to use 6 or 7 cores. And since consoles nowadays are nothing more than weak pcs with a proprietary/custom OSes from Sony and MS, it´s easier to port games to pc and continue to use multiple cores, since the groundwork is already placed. So there´s a chance that games will use more than 4 cores in the near future.

And we can´t forget that both consoles have an AMD cpu, so AMD might be pushing/helping game studios use more cores, making a good case for PC cpus from AMD. Cunning stuff from AMD, very well played.

12. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Go away fanboy, you're just butt hurt for having bought an overpriced CPU.

He just registered to troll.

Reason 1: Here that cpu costs around 400€ (minimum is 366€).
    Reason 2: The i7 7700k is a 4c/8t processor, Ryzen has double that and will probably be a better performer in multithreaded applications.

People are leaving under a rock, these last 6 years locked at 4 cores fried their brains.

Gaming wile streaming.
    Oh look, it loses a dozen fps at a resolution no one plays at for 10 years...

Now even I would be curious for this, but still pointless because you aren't going to disable 4 cores on a console and new games will use all 8 cores.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So......

You didn't say "I can get a 7700k" you said "you can get a 7700k" which is stating everyone can get a 7700k for that price or equivalent price so why get an AMD, that's exactly what you said.

I mean, it doesn't really matter, as still, it's HALF the CPU, so who cares about the 7700k.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Look, I was just commenting about what I see in that review. Ryzen loses to Intel in games, it's that very simple.

I understand where you're coming from etc, but I was making a comment about what was put in front of me. It's either that or speculations or waiting for more reviews.

BTW, I'm reading cores > everything in this thread. Let's not forget how 8350 turned out, everyone was all over it, praising it as the next king with it's 8 cores and we all know how that turned out, a terrible cpu for gaming. Not bashing, just saying, let's wait for more reviews. Because atm, the hype and fanboism is beyond normal.

15. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    IPC is fine it's just it's clock speed but AMD Ryzen seems to be hitting the same clock limitations as the i7 6900k, personally what i am going to do is overclock the base frequency to around 4GHz then use turbo to get to about 4.5GHz like i used to do with my 8320 and prior to that 1090T. But i am sure most sites including Guru3D will probably just overclock the base to whatever they can as there is alot less fine tuning needed with the limited time they are going to have playing with their samples. takes alot more effort to work out the highest turbo frequencies.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It has nothing to do with PC gaming though, console gaming has made the shift so games over the next few years are just going to be a headache for people who have decided to stick with 4 cores and high clock speeds.

17. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Exactly, there are too many unknowns with this review to draw conclusions.

18. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    tbh some hype on the cpu side of things is long overdue :)
    :banana::banana::banana:

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    don't get me wrong, I'm hyped myself and I truly hope that Ryzen delivers, but it's like the 6800k at £400 stopped existing, going by the nonsense in this thread.

20. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Sure,but we are talking about PC here since Ryzen Is made for PC. However developing for consoles Is a totally different story though, since It's bound by a lot of restrictions put by publishers (Sony and Microsoft). Although developing across 8 cores Is more efficient and provides better performance, It doesn't make It easier to port to PC.