Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti announced at 699 USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 1, 2017.

1. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Yes! Finally a true 4k card for me :) the long wait from gtx 980 vanilla is finally over!

I like those numbers. Titan XP performance for halv the price? AMD has done this for sure. Thanks AMD :-D

2. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Cool to see the new card. No, I can't afford it. I'm most interested in the slide that showed tiled caching being "available on all Maxwell and Pascal GPUs" and what it means for Maxwell owners.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I don't expect Vega to be able to beat this monsters generally speaking. It might in a few individual games that are heavily AMD optimised, but even then it wouldn't be by much.

But time will tell. Let's hope AMD gains some cash from Ryzen to be able to race better in the GPU market as well. It's kind of sad Nvidia held the crown with 1080 for so long with no AMD response at all, and now the 1080 successor is coming out before AMD still managed to get their enthusiastic product out. That can be due to nothing but a lack of R&D funding.

4. arakisb

arakisb Guest

GPU:
    vega
    Congrats to all of you that can afford a $700 card, especially those who recently bought a 1080. I am very appreciative that i can buy a card as awesome as a 480 8GB for around $200. Of course I can't use it for 4k, but for 1440 it is very good and at 1080, it is great. And after losing interest in sli and crossfire, I am again intrigued by multi gpu now that it can be implemented by developers. I would imagine two 480s would be pretty awesome as far as those titles go in 4k. Yeah, it sucks developers are slow at best to implement it. Anyway, enjoy.

5. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    Anyone know what the price will be in ££?

6. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    I want THIS!!!!

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Happy I don't have to convince some people anymore that the card wouldn't cost 999$ but would be about the same as previous Ti.

AIBs might be a little bit more expensive in the beginning but shortly after, a price war will start which will only benefit us customers.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I thought you were in the $850-900 camp? I'm pretty sure none of us were were expecting $699, TITAN performance and a significant drop and upgrades to the 10XX product line memory.

9. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    I guess where my tax return money is going. Ryzen (hopefully) + 1080Ti.

10. TimAhKin

TimAhKin Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    So, the TDP is 220W or 250W?

Good news nonetheless, decent price as well.
    AMD is again late for the party. :)

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I'm still catching up on the thread, but quote for truth right there lol. SLI = nightmare of driver compatibility.

edit: Allright, back to the present. Can i say one more time that this stream was one of the cheapest stream i've seen from Nvidia in a very long time?

The presentation itself was minimalist, and the streaming quality was nowhere near the quality you expect from the lead GPU manufacturer announcing a new product.

I've had the pleasure to work with the beta Gamesworks product featured in this stream in UE4 for over the month, having a blast, ti's incredible. Can't wait to show you all my game :p.

As for the 1080-Ti , i'm considering it, as much as i would like to consider VEGA, i'm really used to my current software setup, been using Shadowplay for streaming and recording gameplay for quite a while. I've also been very happy with my 980-Ti since June 2015, and oh boy, she's seen some serious **** lol. I've tweaked the BIOS probably over 200times (i'm not kidding).

I'm on the fence really. I've a nice 4K monitor that my current 980-Ti struggle handling, probably will make the jump with some custom partner board.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    not at all AMD had made an SLI rig for the Rizen to compare with Vega... (Ok might be a bad argument :) )

as the Rolling Stones said "tiiiiime is on my side"

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O

Yes, exactly my reason for a sort of premature upgrade. Good bye SLI :)

I'm going to be silly this time and go for the 1080Ti, and if Volta delivers a substantial increase, I'll consider swapping again.

I'm still not sure why they make 11GB of VRAM though... doesn't sound like it's sensible, at least not over 10GB or something like that.

I haven't been able to catch or watch the stream, any intel on the board partners' models and when they will be out?

14. Dr.Puschkin

Dr.Puschkin Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti Suprim
    Blame lazy developers, not the tech.

15. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I have to tip my hat to Nvidia, this is why they are THE leader when it comes to selling product. I think we, the consumers are hyping this card more than Nvidia.

I love what they did last year for Pascal, reveal+fast availability. Pricing is good. It's going to sell nicely at that price.

Come on AMD, stop teasing and give us the sweets! At this rate, they'll be no-one left waiting in the shop.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Low memory Geforce.

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well, i´m very happy with this announcement!

Not because i want a 1080Ti, too expensive for me, but because this way they have to cut prices on the 1070, that i want. And with a little bit of luck i can even get a 1080, that would come in ther perfect time because i´m thinking about jumping ino the 4K scene!

I love price cuts!

18. TimAhKin

TimAhKin Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    £699

19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    sad but true? haha

Same with euros, you keep thinking, "wait! euros is stronger than dollars!..".

before thinking "taxesssss noooooo": 699$ = 800Euros :cry:

20. Bounty

Bounty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
    As soon as a decent AIO version comes out I'll be replacing my sli GTX780 classified's. They have done very well but struggle a bit on the Acer Predator @ 3440 x 1440