AMD Ryzen Goes Preorder Today + Info and Event Demo Benchmark Videos

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2017.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah, interesting times! And test of patience... though my wallet doesn't really allow an overhaul now.

Can't wait for reviews of CPUs and mobos as well!

Hilbert please review as many motherboards as you can :D

2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    A question: i might buy a Ryzen cpu depending on the reviews but Ryzen isn´t going to be supported on W7, that i have, and i don´t want to move to W10. So what´s going to be the difference between Ryzen using W7 or W10???
    Or it´s better to avoid Ryzen if i want to stick with W7?

Thanks in advance!

3. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  4. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Flash News

AMD CPU division will host an AMA about Ryzen: March 2 @ 11:30a-4:00p CST. Dr. Lisa Su from 11:30a-12:30p!! self.Amd

""On March 2, 2017, the AMD CPU team will be hosting an AMA from 11:30 AM CST until 4:00 PM CST. The AMA will be hosted by our CEO, Dr. Lisa Su, from 11:30a-12:30p. After that, myself and /u/AMD_James will take it home until 4:00p CST.
    We'll have goodies! :) ""

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vl431/its_happening_amd_cpu_division_will_host_an_ama/

Very interesting they said " We'll have goodies! :) " , most likely hardware giveaways in my opinion ( Rysen CPUs ). Make sure to tune in as you never know if you will be the lucky one !

5. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I may have to check that out.... quite a long time for an AMA too. :nerd:

6. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Small question :)
    At least we know the Rendering score od the Ryzen, I tough to myself, if we take the 1800X+ cheap B350 MB for 600$ and apply ~10% OC we can get i7 6950X performance that costs ~1850$ with MB? and this without considering the 1700X that can also reach to 1800X+10% OC speed that will offer same performance for 500$, Is it too good to be true?
    [​IMG]
    the Ryzen MB are really cheap VS 2011-V3, the Combo price looks even better vs INTEL current offering.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    To better judge the full potential of Ryzen CPUs better wait for Guru3D review , then you will know for sure where is the sweet spot ,price to performance ratio between R7 1700 , R7 x1700 and R7 x1800 in relation to motherboards and overclocking be it cheap mobos or expensive ones.

8. Qix2140

Qix2140 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 480 8b
    Took the plunge. I do a lot of multi-tasking, multi-monitored things. Wasn't overly impressed with kabylake upgrade from my 2600k. Really think the extra cores is what i'm looking for. Hopefully ryzen delivers . Can't wait for March 2nd.

[​IMG]

9. keromyaou

keromyaou Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 XC3 Ul
    As far as I understand, Ryzen (or post-Skylake Intel CPUs) isn't going to be supported on W7. I think that Broadwell-e is on the border (may or may not be supported). I am not interested in Windows 10 like you. For this reason, I bought a used 5960X, which scored about 1800 on Cinebench at 4.5GHz @ 1.22V (99% of 5960X do 4.4GHz). I feel that this score will probably be comparable or even better than overclocked Ryzen (if I believe rumors about overclockability of Ryzen). I run this computer on Windows 8.1 and Linux.

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    48 hours 6 minutes left for the NDA to be lifted and the flood gates to be open for the complete Ryzen launch , looking forward for the Guru3D review and my pre-order to be shipped !

The wait it's almost over , few more hours to go ...

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I understand that but my question is: what´s the difference between using a Ryzen cpu with W7 or with W10???
    In Skylake´s case i´m almost sure there´s no problem because it´s nothing more than Kaby Lake with a speed bump and Kaby was supported in W7. But Ryzen is a new cpu architecture so things aren´t so simple...
    I wonder if any site is going to try Ryzen with W7/8.1 so we can know for sure if there´s any (significant) differences between them and W10.

12. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    what is x86_64 ?

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Sorry vase, i don´t understand what you mean with that...

14. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    No, I asked you.

15. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well, it´s the 64 bit instruction set created by AMD or something like that. But what does it have to do with my question??? Feel free to explain me this really simple and slow because this technical stuff is way over my knowledge.

17. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    You won't see any new kind of difference that isn't already there with any other (older) CPU, comparing an identical workload in NT 6.x to NT 10.0 .
    Because W10 is still x86_64, just as much as W7 and W8.1 are.
    So if your FX-8xxx is encoding something 3 seconds faster in W7 than in W10 or the other way around, in Handbrake for example. Then probably Ryzen will have a lead on the respective OS version in the same workload.

In the end, if you disable all power management and make the benchmarked application use all possible cores with a high priority, i.e. tune both OSes to ignore power saving features completely etc. then you will most surely be on a very common ground on both sides.

The thing to understand is that the new features (or lets better call them optimized instructions) are happening inside the CPU and any x86_64 compatible OS that is running on top of that doesn't really bother how a x86_64 CPU comes to its results, as long as the CPU understands all the standardized instructions of x86_64 and optionally its extensions.

The bottom line is, I didn't hear of Ryzen or Kaby Lake (in that regard) switching to ARM or PowerPC instruction set, or even inventing/introducing a whole new base instruction set after all.
    All that "not supported" stuff around Kaby and Ryzen is nothing but a well embraced (by microsoft & co) public opinion to boost the W10 ecosystem.

Don't get fooled. You can run Win 98 on an i7 just search youtube for those kind of videos, it's full of nerds showing off those things.
    And we're talking about 20 years technology difference, not 8 like with W7 and Ryzen...