Samsung Galaxy S8 Likely Gets Exynos 9810

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Samsung shows a teaser that is indicative for the new Exynos 9810 chipset. The chip will be fabbed on a 10nm process The octa-core Exynos 9810 would get Mongoose M2 cores and four Cortex A53 cores. Th...

Samsung Galaxy S8 Likely Gets Exynos 9810

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    and let me guess it will be 10% faster than S7...

I am fed up of these pathetic small incremental updates on phones, the difference between the S6 and S7 is barely even noticeable.

That and now CyanogenMod has stopped too, which just hurts me in so many ways :(

3. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    900$ for a phone? Are you nuts?!?!?
    (the question is addressed to Samsung, Apple and other crazy manufacturers)

Considering, that 98% of users do NOT need a particle accelerator in their phones, it is just getting more silly day by day.

4. beta-sama

beta-sama Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS GTX1080Ti WF
    i'm in love with my one plus 3T. Even with a S9 i don't think i will swap...

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, main difference between my old GS6e and GS7e is battery capacity.
    But, I would not upgrade for just that. And the price. They are crazy.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    yea the battery on my s7e is pretty good tbh much better than my old S5. But at least I could flash my S5 with a custom ROM and then install Cyanogenmod which helped the phone out in literally every single area.

Just a shame that Samsung feel they need to release their phones with different SoC's in different regions. Here in the UK (and most of the EU) we got the Exynos 8890 rather than the Snapdragon 820. Even though the Exynos 8890 is faster I would of preferred the SD820 as then we could of installed Cyanogenmod or even the newer LineageOS (which is what Cyanogenmod has now become).

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yep, Snapdragon is my preferred chip too. On note of custom OS, I do not do it on new phones anymore. I use Knox security and on top of that I prefer to keep warranty on more expensive devices.

(That being said, I am pretty unhappy with all Bloatware Samsung pushes into phones. Even Oculus of MS Office is bloatware for everyone who does not use it.)

8. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Exynos was 71% more power efficient than Snapdragon in an S7, apparently...

9. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    despite the exorbitant price, it sell well
    even i read that s7 give samsung biggest profit in 2years
    same to iphone

so as long as demand the price will keep going i guess
    to the point when sales go plummed then maybe they start think around

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The best of all worlds would have been to have vanilla Android Samsung devices (or at least the choice).

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    LineageOS is alive and kicking.

http://lineageos.org/

Not at the Nightly stage yet but many supported devices!

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    First I really wanted an S8 but then I thought to myself, 900$ for a phone is really too much money since I only use mine for phone calls, SMS, IM, browsing, music and maybe one or two games. Basically any mid-range phone for 300-400$ can do that. All I really care about is decent battery and fluid animations (no stuttering). I dont give a heck about 1080 or 1440p, screen size or too much about the design. I do like hardware buttons though.

13. Gaidax

Gaidax Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X
    I know what I am about to say will be considered ravings of a madman, but... if you don't need a particle accelerator in your phone - do not buy it?

There are more than enough great phones now at much lower price point that feature specs, bells and whistles that would make enthusiasts mouths water two years ago and are more than enough to spam cat videos on Facebook and such.

And it's not like this is the only phone Samsung will release this year, because after S8, there will come A line of phones which is quite tamer price-wise, but is still kicking ass and then the likes of J and such which is more budget thing.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I'm still using my One Plus One.

Best € 400 I ever spent on a phone.

15. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Its only better in multi-tasking because of more cores but the GPU was pretty bad compared to the Snapdragon.

It just pisses me off why they don't give us a choice and just shove the exynos down our throat for no reason.

16. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    What matters to me in a phone is how easy it is to maintain and/or customize it in the long run. It could be able to replace a supercomputer in terms of performance and I still wouldn't care! I wanna be able to replace the components (especially the battery) if something bad happens to it. The same thing goes for the software, too: I wanna be able to update the phone's OS when the manufacturer decides it will no longer receive updates.

It's stable enough on my Galaxy Note (N7000). I wonder how easy it is for devs to make a LineageOS ROM for newer Samsung phones though... I haven't heard nice things about them.

17. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    As the time passes, more and more companies are becoming more and more self-centered and self-conceited. Nowadays the companies like Intel, NVidia, Samsung, Sony, micro$oft... almost OPENLY suggest that they will do whatever they find suitable, no matter what, regardless of the "public opinion".

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I just want to throw this out there for anyone who wants to listen:

TL;DR: If you are a power use who must BL unlock, root, and thoroughly customize your phone like me, never consider any phone which isn't incredibly popular or guaranteed to be (such as Samdung flagships). No seemingly great hardware on paper for X price is worth the trouble it will put you through.

Most of us don't want to put up with these nonsense $900+ ($1050-$1250 in Canada) prices, so we'll turn to alternatives from Chinese companies selling seemingly flagship phones with supposedly the same parts for half the price.

I did that, I bought a ZTE Axon 7 for $520 CAD (~$588 with tax) while an S7 Edge with roughly the same specs was $1050 (~$1190 with tax). Man do I ever regret it. I didn't want to compromise on hardware, so I didn't buy a OnePlus 3 which has a puny 1080p pentile screen (meaning not actually 1080p) since I wanted to use VR, I didn't want to miss out on expandable storage, and I didn't like that the OP3 has a puny 3000 mAH battery.

I got the hardware I wanted, but man did I get raped on the software and support side of things. Do NOT buy a phone that is not very popular, both company and community support are critical, and if a phone is not extremely popular it will be lacking. I've been using Android and heavily modding everything about my Android phones since about 2011 and I've never ran into such a nightmare of a time doing something so incredibly simple as upgrading my ****ing ROM. Never have I bricked a single phone so many times in an attempt to do a single thing. Never have I had had to go through hundreds upon hundreds of posts from many different sources, and still lack critical information that leads to bricks, because it wasn't actually there. That and do I even need to mention that ZTE's software is horrendous, horribly designed, and full of bugs... and typos. Hire a real English speaker you cheap bastards.

Waiting 6 months to finally get Android 7.0, while multiple newer versions are out, only exacerbates the problem.

The next time I buy a phone it's almost guaranteed to be from OnePlus even if their quality control on hardware is crap, since I refuse to pay anything near $1K for a phone and I never want to go through this BS again so I'm not going to buy from other Chinese companies. Oh and I might as well mention OnePlus's (Oppo's) Dash Charging is the only one which doesn't kill your battery since it does the voltage conversion (tons of heat byproduct) in the charging brick rather than in your phone where it brutalizes the battery.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    In reference to over-priced flagship phones and having to settle...

I used to use iPhones and Galaxys but have never liked the prices. I do like decent features and high build quality but I'm not willing to pay for cutting edge.

I've been buying Motorola phones the past year or so. A Moto G (2nd gen) ($100), (two) Moto X Pure ($300), and this week, a Moto Z Play ($400). (and an Honor 5X I also liked but lost)

If you prefer a vanilla android experience (like Nexus), a high quality build and phones that are popular enough not to settle on case selection (etc), Motorola makes some pretty nice handsets.

We've bought 4 Motorolas and they've yet to disappoint. We will be buying more. I'm especially interested in the MotoMods, adding some unique functionality to their new line-up (but the mod prices are currently hefty).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Motorola are super inconsistent with a terrible reputation, a huge number of people get bootloops on multiple Moto phones of the recent years including their latest. And I don't even know where to begin about their hardware build issues. The G5 for example is made of aluminium, but it has a plastic paint coating that makes it feel cheap that can easily be damaged. That and many bootloop LOL. The V20, which I would have loved to buy if it wasn't $1150 at release, has serious camera cover glass issues. It's so fragile that if the covering sticker is removed it can crack on its own with no force applied to it.

Anyway, the range of phones I can choose from is extremely limited since I want flagship SoCs. At the time of my last purchase it was the Snapdragon 820, anything less was unacceptable. That pretty much leaves me with little to no options outside of OnePlus who use crappy crap screens.

I should also note Motorola have become notorious for retardedly late update releases. AFAIK they're still rolling out Android 7.0 which is half a year old.