AMD ryzen DOES not support high freq DDR4

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by JustinBulty, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    Sorry.... but I can't believe in random claims made by, frankly, some random dude on the interweb. I don't even know that website and even for them its just some "leak" that might be unreliable.

So it is just wait and see... and especially see if we are loosing out, being stuck at those super slow 3.2GHz modules...

2. Enterprise24

Enterprise24 Active Member

GPU:
    1080Ti FTW3 S2716DG
  3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The knowledge of most leaks is just the result of the next person finding an unflushed toilet.

4. phaT-X

phaT-X Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yeah, where are you getting this information from? I would like to see the source too.

Even when AMD has a specific range of ddr memory speeds that are "officially" support, they often can still support higher ranges and some motherboard manufacturers also add support for master memory. My ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX was like that, it officially support ddr3 1066 to 1866, but the BIOS supported up to 2400 mhz.

I believe the AMD Ryzen will perform wonderfully. I think a lot of people forget that a while back AMD was top dog and Intel was the one chasing their tail. When AMD launched there AMx series processors and Intel came out w/ the "Core ix" series is when they fell behind. They were hoping the "FX" BullDozer and Vishera would be something special, but to close to the launch date they suffered major set backs and in order to be close to their original launch date, they just decided not to try and fix their performance issues and just push higher clock speeds, which unfortunately was not going to win any award, hence why they priced them so low.

The Ryzen from what we've seen looks good, and hopefully it will keep on track and run just as fast or faster than Intel. I don't just say this because I am an AMD fan, I choose AMD because they are more user friendly to your wallet / bank acct.! Even when AMD has a superior processor, it will still be cheaper than Intel and they same goes for motherboards that support AMD, they too are much cheaper.

At my work I built (6) PC's, of those 5 are AMD systems, (2) with AMD FX 8370's (originally had FX 6350's), (1) w/ an AMD FX 8320, and (2) w/ AMD FX 6100's, the Intel system has an Intel Core i7 6800K 6-core... and yes, the Intel i7 6800K is a fast processor, but what it cost to build that system is what it cost me to build two of the AMD FX 8 core systems. For anyone that wants to get an Intel Core i7 6 core, 8 core, or 10 core processor, you'll be paying a high price, and oh boy if you dare try and purchase one of their "Core i7 Extreme Edition" processors, you will pay dearly. I just don't understand how Intel still thinks processors are worth being $1000.00 or more, because there aren't and it's not fair to the end users. I am sure every PC gamer out there would love to have an Extreme Edition processor, but for the majority of us, they are out of our reach.

I just wish AMD would release them already, I'm tired of waiting. I have a new Antec Twelve Hundred-Two v3 PC tower, 1 tb Samsung 960 EVO SSD drive, Corsair 1200 watt power supply, and Geforce GTX 1070 sitting here waiting.. all I lack is the AMD Ryzen CPU, Asus motherboard supporting the Ryzen processors, and ddr4 memory that works best w/ the Ryzen. I can't afford to purchase it all at once, so I start buying what I can a few months before the new platform is released.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I do not see a problem with Rysen runnning max DDR4-3200Mhz as it will not bottleneck anything , that's way more than enough bandwidth for today's applications and games. Also you got it take into account it's a brand new architecture and has not been fine tuned yet.

Intel cpu's can run higher ram speeds yes , but they are limited by the cpu imc too as not all skylake/kabylake cpus can handle DDR4-4000 or above , it all depends on that silicon lottery , if you get lucky with a good imc on your intel cpu it might run DDR4-4000+ speeds.

My 2 cents ;)

6. Rabbitdude92

Rabbitdude92 Guest

GPU:
    HD7850 2GB
    Doesnt offically support very high ram speeds but neither does intel. With kaby lakes only offically supported 2400mhz with z270 boards some supporting 4133 and some less. Key word though "offically"

7. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    I presume this will be more to the mb than the cpu itself.
    Do not matter for me anyway, got a unopened corsair vengance lpx 2666 kit i am going to use, payed half the price for it last year compared to what it costs now.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Kaby Lake really only benefits up to around 3200 though. The interesting thing will be how well Ryzen responds to memory frequency. Many of the leaked benchmarks were apparently done with 2133 RAM that would have decreased those very impressive cinebench scores.

9. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    lol.. we all do wow what are the odds

10. mkh

mkh Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070Ti O12G
    It's not like skylake didn't have any problems with high frequency ddr4 at launch.
    With 4 sticks of 2400mhz ram my board became stable 2016 december and with some overvolting. Before that i just ran them at 2133 most of the time.

11. tarot

tarot Guest

GPU:
    XFX Vega 64
    they have already stated there will be a microcode update for high frequency ram in a month or 2.
    as it is the big board do 3200 up to 3600

now the other thing to look at is the efficiency of the ram.
    Now i can't find the leak but the efficiency was very good better than the intel so slower ram should be good for better bandwidth.
    The other thing thrown around(i believe from Amd) si the fact that if you populate all 4 slots memory will drop down to 2400/2666 again can't remember which but.
    in the real world they mean stuff all nothing.
    http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-me...nding-the-best-ddr4-memory-kit-speed_170340/5

as an example

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I got DDR4-3733 C17 G.Skill RAM for Ryzen. Before anyone says anything, I got it for roughly the same price as decent priced DDR-3200 RAM. Actually, it was less than many 2666 and 3000 modules as well. It was on special and I made use of a discount voucher :D.

Even if I can't use it to DDR4-3733 at the moment, I can use it at a lower but still fast speed. Since I won't be upgrading the RAM when Zen+ comes out I thought might as well get decent RAM now that will last me through another upgrade. Zen+ will likely be able to make use of it.

This is the exact same RAM, I didn't get it from here:
    G.SKill F4-3733C17D-16GTZA
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...232266&cm_re=ddr4-3733-_-20-232-266-_-Product

I bought it from Australia, but with the current exchange rate I got it for around US$152, so I'm quite okay with that :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2017
  13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  14. JustinBulty

JustinBulty Guest

GPU:
    980ti
    few month later!
    now ryzen is here
    true or false???

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    If the original post still holds true, explain why the F4-3600C16D-16GTZ kit is running @ 3466 no issues. DOCP does not quite work the way I think it should but inputting voltage and timings manually is not a problem. No additional settings needed; just set 3466, the rated voltage and 15-15-15-15-35 for timings in the bios. That is it. Been so rock steady have started playing with the memory subsystem settings. Have fun with the theory.

AGESA 1006 made 3466 the new 3200. Little bit more time and 3600 will be the sweet spot.

16. JustinBulty

JustinBulty Guest

GPU:
    980ti
    not really work!
    even 3200 is not stable

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    ????

State proof that it does not. Do not just come out and say it doesn't. Prove it doesn't. Because after finishing a 24hr run on Prime95 it is stable enough for me. What is your criteria for it not really working. 3200 got boring fast. It was rock solid stable on AGESA 1004a (F4-3200C14-16GTZ).

Hope you realize that anything above 2400 there is no guarantee that the imc in any particular Ryzen cpu will run stable. That is why your blanket statement just is not enough. Maybe on your cpu it is not stable but on mine it is.

Until you can come up with more like a paragraph that cohesively demonstrates your thought as to why it is not really stable, this is my final post.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  18. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    I've been running at 3200MHz with CL14 since I bought a Ryzen system back in April. It really depends on which ram kit you buy and with the latest bios update (Agesa 1.0.0.6) most other high frequency ram kits can hit 3200MHz easily. Hilbert made an article on this recently, so you should read it.

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Reported for flamebait and Trolling with non sense , misinformation.

This are my 24/7 settings 100% stable 3 hours memtest x64 and memtest x86 , 100% stable on all my games and software not even a hick up , any issue at all. Also i have been running DDR4-3200Mhz since the first Bios as well as many people. What you have to back up this Troll statement of yours ???

What were you saying , again ??? Solid proff here:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-7-agesa-1006-performance-update-review,1.html

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=412876

[​IMG]

20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I am going to issue a warning here, if you are going to spread FUD I will halt your account. This reply was typed on a Ryzen 5 machine 3200 MHz running 8~9 hour a day.

21. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I can even run my 3000 rated modules at 3200 just fine. That's beyond mem module specs.

You were saying? If you really are a hw reviewer you're not very good at your job.

Go spread your nonsense somewhere else. Kid.