Sound Blaster Z + Logitech Z506

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Abilio_KID, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Sorry if a similar topic has been made already but I've looked everywhere and couldn't be 100% sure on the question.
    Recently got a cheap Z506 to replace a very old FPS1600 (4.1) set on my PC. I never quite understood what settings in Z's control panel should I use for these speakers. I know they have some crossover that sends audio to the proper speaker or sub, but I need to know if:
    - Should I enable the subwoofer in Z speakers settings?
    - Should I also enable ""Full-Range Speakers"?
    - Too much sound comes from the center speakers so I loose the "4 speakers 3D" feeling I'm used to. If I set the volume lower, will it affect movies and games?

Speakers are set to 5.1 in Windows and Z's control panel, plus I use SBX Pro.
    Yes, I', being picky about it. I prefer to use the correct settings even if I can't hear a difference, lol...

2. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the SB-Z card?

3. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Even if onboard audio is enabled, he needs drivers to make it work. SO thats not the problem. I think the problem is Creative sucks badly. You got good speakers tho. gl

4. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    What OS are you using ? If your on 8.1 or 10 theres your problem. Creative has horrible driver support.

Also make sure your not using any sound effect in the creative panel.

And of course grab the latest drivers for your card. gl

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

5. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Of course I did, long time ago. What's it got to do with the topic?

I never said drivers were not working as they should...

I'm on Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64. Anything after that is... well... not going into that! I'm using SBX Surround Pro.

Like I clearly (I thought it was clear) said in the topic, all is working fine. I just need to know, with my sound card and speakers, what should be the correct settings in Z's control panel.

6. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Ok sweet everything works for you thats great. Do a search on youtube unless someone here has a SB Z. gl

7. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Sorry if it looks like I'm being an a$$ (I guess it comes with age) but I did mention in the topic what I was looking for. Right?
    I asked here for someone, with the same combo (card and speakers), that could be sure about the correct settings for the control panel. I did look online but that led me to a mix of answears. So yeah, being picky on the matter, I decided to ask.
    Anyway, thanks for the replies.

8. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Its not the speakers I can guarantee you that. Its the sound card and OS issue.

You must try your SB Z on a different computer and see if you get the crackling. Then get back to us.

9. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Huh? What crackling? Sorry Hammie, did you even read all that I typped here?

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090

11. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    But WTF are you people on??? I only need to know, inside sound blaster Z control panel, if I should enable the subwoofer and/or should I also enable ""Full-Range Speakers", considering the speakers I have. I'm asking because these seem to have some type of crossover inside the subwoofer that redirects frequencies as it needs to.
    Why do you people keep telling me I have driver problems, if I specifically said I have none???

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Pretty unreal replies... I'm on phone so I can't quite find out if those satelite speakers are full range or not. Probably not since it's a 5.1 system. So, I wouldn't tick the full range boxes for satelite speakers. Also make sure that windows' audio settings match the Creative control panel settings. And yes, enable subwoofer since you have it.

I wouldn't use SBX setting if I were you. It works best to simulate surround sound for headphones but when used with real 5.1 setup... It probably just messes up the sound.

Also try uninstalling the speaker setup thingy. I have had some serious problems with it (messing up headphone soundstage when using the lineout)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  13. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Indeed...
    Thank you very much. As a coincidence, I was already doing like you said except I use SBX to hear music on all speakers. I know it's not ideal in terms of quality but I'm used to it. For movies and games, I'll try with SBX off.
    Thanks once more.

14. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    Just wanted to make sure on-board was disabled.
    you said center channel was too loud and wanted to make sure there was no active on-board audio effecting the center channel.

15. Tessiia92

Tessiia92 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked
    This page has made me laugh, the replies all look like they are from another post!

I have the same combo as you though I am not quite as fussy so I will tell you what I know.

Full Range: Yes, enable it, here is something from another site that may explain better:
    "Actually they aren't full range. According to Logitech they fall off at 45Hz, I'm willing to bet it's more like in the low 50's though.
    @OP: If you're talking about the settings on your computer then yes, you set them to full range. The electronics in the sub will include a crossover that will separate the lows from the mids and highs and send the low end to the sub."

Your centre speaker is louder: Go to the Speakers/Headphones tab, next to the drop down box where you select 5.1, click the wrench icon, now the bottom tab, speaker level. Here you can balance the speakers exactly as you need them and also, check your polarity, that can cause issues if not set correctly.

As far as enabling Subwoofer goes, yes, enable it. If you disable it and click the bass speaker icon then you will notice the test sound play in your other speakers, if you enable it and do the same, you will notice the test souns play from the sub.

Hope this helps. It is a great combo, I love the sound from them!

Oh and one more thing, there is no need whatsoever to disable on-board sound, I actually use the on-board to send sound to my TV when watching films and then switch back to the sound blaster for sitting at my desk, no problems at all, ever!

16. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, indeed the replies... well... enough of that.
    I had seen that topic before but, with so many other topics saying differently, it really got a bit confusing. My problem is whatever the speaker set does to the sound. How I see it is: no matter what goes from the soundcard to the speakers, the crossover will always make up his mind (+-). I just wondered how it would affect sounds in Windows itself.
    About the center channel, it makes sense that it's louder because it has 2 satellites and not just 1. Does the crossover make any adjustments to it? Who knows...
    I'll have to check the polarity though, never touched it.

17. Tessiia92

Tessiia92 Guest

GPU:
    I don't think the crossover effects the loudness of the centre speaker but you can lower the volume of each speaker individually in SBX Pro Studio, just follow the instructions in my previous post to look at that.

The polarity could be why you are not getting the "3D effect" as if it is set wrong, the audio will sound as if it is coming from every direction rather then rear, front, centre etc.

Have you tried turning the Surround on and turning that up/down to see if it helps? I have both the surround and crystalizer turned on at default levels which sounds nice.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  18. Tessiia92

Tessiia92 Guest

GPU:
    I have been playing with my speaker levels, they are all about the same distance from me and I have just managed to get much better "3D sound" then ever before, this is how I have them set:

Front Left: 0
    Front Center: -2
    Front Right: 0
    Rear Left: 8
    Rear Right: 8
    Subwoofer: 0 (as it can be changed on the sub)

Let me know if that helps, you could turn the center down to maybe 4 but I like the vocals standing out a bit more in music so the slightly higher level is nice for me.

19. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    My main problem is the fact I come from an old 4.1 surround system with a Sound Blaster Audigy + Surround Stereo (that played music in all 4 speakers).
    Since I got the Sound Blaster Z, the rear speakers seemed to play less than the front ones. Then I got the Logitech 5.1 and the center speaker seems louder... yeah, I'm too picky, I know.

The way you just described, you're reducing the center channel and adding a bit to the rear ones. The problem is it seems to affect the sound in games and 6 channels movies too (or it's placebo?).

If I set SBX at 100%, I get better sound in the rear channels but the center channel steals sound from the front ones (mostly voices). If I set SBX to 40%, the center becomes decent but there's almost no sound from the rear ones... sigh.

I can try to "fix" it by setting the music player to spread sound trough all speakers (trough any plugin/setting available) but then I'd have to turn SBX off, so it doesn't interfere, lol!

Anyway, I'll leave it like you first said and not bother too much anymore.
    Thank you for your time on this :)

20. Tessiia92

Tessiia92 Guest

GPU:
    The only other thing I can suggest is to use the profiles and set one for Music, one for gaming, one for films etc. I have one for music producing which is basic, nothing turned on and a few different ones for music depending on mood and time of day.

No thanks needed, I'm glad to have been some help :)