New C++ Installer released [Hassle free uninstaller/reinstaller]

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by CPC_RedDawn, Sep 30, 2014.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    vcruntime140.dll is part of the v50 package and should have been installed, it's installed here at least and running this does uninstall the earlier versions (And any other VC++ thing that's been installed, so there couldn't have been any files left behind.) so that sounds like something during the install went wrong.

EDIT: The way I run these is to unpack the main .exe and then I just start x64.bat manually by right clicking and selecting "run as admin." (It'll exit out otherwise as it needs admin rights to write to some of the Windows folder paths.) and I do shut down any software that uses VC++ first just to be sure which includes EA Origin, MSI Afterburner / RTSS and AMD's Crimson settings software.
    (If you were to install the 2015 or now the 2017 packages via their actual installers they'd prompt for a reboot afterwards if any existing files were in use before it can remove and replace those.)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yes, it should be installed after a fresh reboot. There may be some anomalous reason why the standard (minimum sets) aren't installing if you do have a fresh start. The only problems I've heard is with people using third party software updaters, I don't know why they should be a problem, it's just what a couple of people have said.

When I have a bit more time later I'll tell you how to 'dump' your installed program list so I can see if there's anything amiss. That's only if you want to :).

3. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    From a normal user's standpoint: what do I gain from installing newer VC++ packages?
    Also, most games install their own (and typically older) versions anyway (and usually each game installs different build on top of that), and you're left with tons of garbage you don't want no matter what.

I used to "hunt" for newest possible installers of these in past because I have/had this obsession of having everything up to date even if I had no idea if I needed it, but eventually gave up because it was pointless for the above mentioned reason.

4. jfcherng

jfcherng Guest

GPU:
    32GB
    I think there are two typos in redists_x86.txt and redists_x64.txt, so that both x86/x64 2017 vc_runtimeMinimum are not installed.

For example, in redists_x64.txt,
    Code:
    vcredist_x64_2017\vc_runtimeMinimum_x64.msi
    vcredist_x64_2015-2017\vc_runtimeAdditional_x64.msi
    should be
    Code:
    vcredist_x64_2015-2017\vc_runtimeMinimum_x64.msi
    vcredist_x64_2015-2017\vc_runtimeAdditional_x64.msi

---

Sorry, a new account can't send a PM.

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Huh you're right (redist_x64.txt and redist_x86.txt) guess the additional files must include the minimum package files then, interesting.

And yeah far as updating these goes it's far as I know at least primarily for security fixes though there could be some compatibility improvements from games using later versions of the Visual C++ SDK's but otherwise I don't think it's strictly necessary to upgrade them just that you do need to have the 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013 and now 2015 replaced by 2017 depending on which C++ runtime the software might require as they're not backwards compatible but separate.
    (Though for some reason 2017 is now replacing 2015 instead of adding which is interesting as I don't believe that's happened before.)

I'd still prefer this and the DirectX runtime files being added straight to Windows and being maintained and updated via the cumulative update system and that'd be the end of it but eh guess that's not happening. :D
    (At least this bundle ensures a convenient way to manage all the C++ runtime redistributables.)

Even if the last update to the DirectX setup was back in 2010, some of the VC++ runtimes do get security fixes occasionally though but I think they're pretty much done with the ones before 2013 now though if a exploit is found Microsoft would probably have to patch it. :)

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    thatguy91 has utility (aka "vc bin remover") to hunt down those garbage in game folders.

7. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Thanks for the redist package, had to manually install the 2017 versions as I was getting the same error as other users.

As for VC Bin Remover, Steam client and Blizzard games require you to reinstall their outdated version each time you play after cleaning them. With Firefox, it gives the XPCOM error if you use VC Bin Remover on its folder, however mildly annoying and easily remedied with the built in restore function or manually.

So my question is: Is there anyway to replace those files with the newer versions to maybe mimic the outdated files that get reinstalled so they don't redownload? The point being possible better reliability, security and performance.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2017
  8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Same with Steam and it's d3dcompiler_46.dll file and as of the beta also a d3dcompiler_47.dll which Steam will just re-validate and download anything that's been altered or removed.

Anyways it's about the same with the Battle.net client I'm guessing as it will notice the missing files and prompt that there's a update available which will re-download them again though with Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 I haven't actually checked what happens if the files are replaced rather than outright deleted.
    (Guessing that's where that error message occurs then, well there's no real harm in having the files in the game folder if there's no other choice I suppose.)

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Are you sure that Steam looks namely into VC bin-files near the main game binaries?
    If you look into game folder in Steam - like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Deus Ex Mankind Divided\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2012" - you will find file "installscript.vdf":
    Code:
    "InstallScript"
    {
    	"Run Process"
    	{
    		"x86 Update 4"
    		{
    			"HasRunKey"		"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Valve\\Steam\\Apps\\CommonRedist\\vcredist\\2012"
    			"process 1"		"%INSTALLDIR%\\_CommonRedist\\vcredist\\2012\\vcredist_x86.exe"
    			"command 1"		"/quiet /norestart"
    			"NoCleanUp"		"1"
    		}
    		"x64 Update 4"
    		{
    			"HasRunKey"		"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Valve\\Steam\\Apps\\CommonRedist\\vcredist\\2012"
    			"process 1"		"%INSTALLDIR%\\_CommonRedist\\vcredist\\2012\\vcredist_x64.exe"
    			"command 1"		"/quiet /norestart"
    			"NoCleanUp"		"1"
    			"Requirement_OS"
    			{
    				"Is64BitWindows"		"1"
    			}
    		}
    	}
    }
    "kvsignatures"
    {
    	"InstallScript"		"22f117a987a287d6dbecb14d1cacf8b184444e4e86d1e418222dbb6d068d05d0f9560aa53a7c4ef159f839bfc3835bce15713eee57b77d68df370ba0999917d8f1561c6102c2493dd43da5da337ebf523b016784d845c20023d3c79f70d307c1448a3ab1edb08320bbbea4aaae3abc456d47b4e4c21bb6e16ffc1791d64d203f"
    }

Several times I had a game which did install VC redist on every launch of game (from Steam), and the problem was namely in registry keys (or values) mentioned in "installscript.vdf" and missing in actual registry. After manual creation of those keys and values game did stop to install redists. This looks like Steam just opens "installscript.vdf" on every game start and checks for info there.

As for replacing VC binaries in game folder instead of renaming it - it can be done in VC bin remover as an option.

Edit: Updated info about format of "installscript.vdf" file:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5393521&postcount=10

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  10. Dr451

Dr451 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte AMD R9 270X 2GB

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Visual C++ Runtime Installer v50a!
    -------------------------------------

Just a minor update to resolve a mistype preventing the installation of VS2017 minimum runtime components. Also it should work better for some foreign language environments.

Visual C++ Redist Installer V50a - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmGuHbW3zvrBmaF8ds78luGagCxSyQ

As always, if people find later C++ runtimes than are included in the installer, PM me.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    thatguy91, what do you think about possible new option for VC bin remover - replace binaries in searched folders with ones from Windows system folder (for such cases like Steam redownloading game due to missed binaries)?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yeah that sounds like a good idea! Same maybe with Firefox?

Probably also skipping Program Files\Windowsapps folder, this is where the apps are stored. It's a system folder, not sure if it even allows deletion of them but they do show on the list.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Ok, I will look...

15. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    I know that if I remove the ones detected for Cyberfox the program throws an error and I have to run the installer again to fix it.

Would it make sense to replace/update the ones inside the program folders instead to prevent programs that only look for their bundled dlls from having issues?

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Any app can be programmed not only to look for dll-files near the exe-file but also to look only for specific versions of dll-files. In such cases replacing the dll-files in app folder is bad idea. But only tests can reveal such cases.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so apprntly win vista svchost constantly eating 1gb ram and 50% cpu on duo core 2gb laptop was fixed they installing the Visual C++ Redist Installer V50a and running option 1 from easy ngen.

Or so i think as I have not seen the issue since doing so.

Like I tell most people Visual C++ Redist Installer vXX.exe and easy NGEN are a must on all system and once first things you should on on any clean install of a OS.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  18. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    First I've heard of this.

Thanks!

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the script been in in the same folder as the Visual C++ Redist Installer vXX.exe the 2 go hand and hand

20. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

So for us technically illiterate and trying to learn, what exactly does easy NGEN do?