Wolfenstein New Order Terrible performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kandata94, Feb 11, 2017.

1. kandata94

kandata94 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X DirectCU II
    Hello guys, i'm using relive 17.1.2 and windows 10, can't get better fps than this:

[​IMG]
    GPU usage is 32% btw

I tried literally everything: switching drivers, messing up with game settings, creating a folder for texture cache, renaming exe file etc. No luck unfortunately.

Is possible to play this game decently with an Amd card?

thank you in advance.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    So low CPU and GPU usage?

Could be unoptimized openGL drivers or some other bottleneck.

What frequency is your system memory?

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    OGL and AMD cards just does not work. It was same with Doom the first week or so and then Vulkan came to save the day.

4. kandata94

kandata94 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X DirectCU II
    1333mhz

Ok i know this, is there no way i can play this game decently with a 280x? The first level i've never reached 60fps, 30-40fps range with absurd gpu usage. Is it so bad opengl + amd?

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yes, its so bad. Even a something like 750ti would probably outperform card like 280X.

Like i said, Doom was running the same 45fpsh range with OGL and with Vulkan its in 90's, same settings. Unbelievable i know.

6. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    New Order was ok at my end a few months ago with some tweaking for 1080p/60fps, but I couldn't force any kind of anti-aliasing on it. IIRC I had to set MAX PPF to lowest possible, drop shadow resolution and VT compress was on. Increasing FOV also caused fps drops. Old Blood on the other hand was much worse.

7. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    I posted this on Reddit once:

I hope you can do all these things. It is a shame these simple fixes were never fixed with a patch, but they helped for me and a lot of other people to finally properly enjoy the game. Enjoy!

8. kandata94

kandata94 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X DirectCU II
    Already tried guys, nothing to do, thank you anyway. I tried disabling msi afterburner, no luck.
    I think the last thing i will try is to install this game on windows 7 and then i will uninstall it and buy ps4 version which at least runs 1080p60.

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Your ram speed is very low dude.

I would go grab some 2133MHz+ sticks this can help more than you would think in games.

Also, is your CPU overclocked? Cause if not, it should be the 2500K overclocks like a beast and you should be able to get some free performance out of it with at least 4.4GHz.

Like others have said OGL with AMD cards is quite bad but doing these things can help ease the fps drops.

Also if I remember correctly these games had a setting called PPF or something similar. You are using a quad core CPU and this setting can be extremely taxing on the CPU the higher you set it. I would leave this on the lowest setting which I think was 16.

EDIT:

Oh and turn down shadows texture size too. This has quite a large impact on the CPU as well. With AMD cards you need to try and take as much stress away from the CPU as possible as AMD drivers has some nasty CPU overhead in DX11 and OGL games. By freeing some CPU performance you can allow it to feed more info to the GPU and in turn this should increase the fps.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  10. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I know for the Old Blood, I had completely terrible performance until I disabled AA completely, and then I could hold 60 fps just fine. This was with a R9 380.

So try that.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  12. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It was the same with Rage and Evil Within (both based on id tech 5) although Evil Within used OGL engine with DX11 emulated renderer so even though its not great it runs better for me.

Im glad they moved on becouse Id tech 6 is great as we see in Doom. I hope Quake Champions will use it as well.

14. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    Everything this guy says. Texture size at 2048 is plenty, please dont put this any higher. and that pff setting was also something I struggled with, put it on 16.

15. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    It's probably AMD drivers.I had Nvidia 550ti and it was all right on max settings+sweet fx at 1980x1080. on my 7850 on the same all others hardware(except monitor) it is terible.Lagging,stuttering at 1366x764 resolution.Try to rename WolfNewOrder_x64.exe to WolfNewOrder_x32.exe. it gave me some benefit only.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017

16. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Btw this 1st mission is by far the hardest on your system, I have played it countless times to compare. I agree Amd does not do so well with this title for some reason.Would piss me off also!

17. samm00

samm00 Member

GPU:
    3G
  18. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    I call that chart BS.

19. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    EDIT: Actually I was wrong, it's with an older processor. Hmm... now I'm confused. Maybe a later patch / drivers are the cause of the issues?

20. kandata94

kandata94 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X DirectCU II
    It is unplayable, it continues to fluctuate between 30 and 60 fps, with kb+m it's really annoying.
    I tried all possible fixes included those you guys suggested, it's a shame because the game is really good, i think i will grab ps4 version.
    Thank you guys anyway for the quick answers.