Doom 2016 Nvidia Driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Malonn, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Xtrme
    I'm cannot get Doom to launch. It loads the intro videos, gets to the main menu where is loads to 99%, then the screen switches to show the load progress in the top right hand corner of the screen at 99% and crashes. EVERY time. I have yet to play this game. I made a little progress with Google and my own trouleshooting (prior to setting the executable to run in Windows 8 compatibility mode it would crash right at the main loading screen -- now it goes to 99% as I said), but it's not enough.

I've read a few reports that Doom runs with certain drivers and not others. I'm getting an access violation crash every time. So, my question is what driver have people here who can play Doom had success with? I'm running W10 x64 Insider Build 15002. Nvidia driver 378.57. It's a clean install of Windows with barely one tweak to it to keep it in "factory" condition.

I'm guessing this access violation is a driver issue... but it's just a guess.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    that's your problem.

Downgrade to retail channel. Idk why people keep using Insider Test builds and then complain, not saying this for you but I've seen this a lot.

3. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    It does sound like a Windows 10 insider build issue.
    DOOM is rock solid at 4K resolution in SLI mode on my system in OpenGL mode (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit build 1607).

Try launching the game without the intro movies by using the "+com_skipIntroVideo 1" launch option in Steam.
    It could also be some sort of Vulcan and/or driver issue.
    Currently using 375.95 WHQL driver.

4. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    I hear you there. But, Prior to "upgrading" to a clean install of Build 15002, I tried running Doom on an old, tweaked anniversary update build. I had the same problem. I may take your advice and install the latest official release build, but I want to see if there is any other option first; driver wise.

5. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    Okay, so it launches for you with 375.95? Heck, it's worth a shot. I'll download that driver and see what happens.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I see, you tried openGL or Vulkan?

Well Im at 376.09 and its ok too, didnt test vulkan much just openGL.. I think I played briefly with 378.xx too, not sure atm. Im already back to 376.09.

7. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    i'm with the more unstable fast ring builds like the 15025, and doom runs butter smoth in my computer they are adding game mode and better resource management, so now i can even enable nightmare settings on my 980 without the penalty of beng a 4Gb card. :banana:

8. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    This is a for laughs (troll) post right?

I'd be rather impressed if any changes to Windows made a difference. GL and Vulkan resource management isn't something that Microsoft has much control over, and desktop composition is already pretty light on Win10 (to close to non existent in fullscreen).

Still interested in how much an improvement you're seeing with "game mode" toggled on/off if that is a legit post though. (I get that everyone has a different definition of what 'butter smooth' means)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  9. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    DOOM has never been very stable for me, I managed to finish the campaign months ago though. Performance is good at 4K in OGL with SLI, but I've had a lot of issues with the game simply crashing to desktop with no error message when loading certain levels or saves. I've had to restart levels, switch from OGL to Vulkan and back and even completely reinstall the game from Steam numerous times before I could get through the entire campaign without it crashing somewhere. This happens to me even now with new drivers (tried it yesterday) and it also happened months ago when I first played it with whatever drivers I had installed then, on a different Windows install.

10. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Check your sound settings, make sure you're at 48KHz/48,000Hz or lower.

11. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    I've tried both OGL and Vulkan. It crashes at the same point with both. Admittedly, most of the posts I read with driver's helping is with older, pre-optimized drivers, but I have to troubleshoot somehow.

I've read a lot of reports that match yours. It's going to be even more of a pain if I can load the campaign and still get frequent crashes.

I will do that. It's at whatever default is. I haven't touched my sound stuff except to enable DTS Connect.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Or maybe its some sort of cache glitch, save game glitch..

you can delete save points, stored here;
    • C:\Users\myname\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM\base\savegame.user\ stead id numbers \GAME-AUTOSAVE0

I've read about those SP specific parts, but it should have been fixed by now, think it was 1-2months later.

What about your cpu OC, does it happen if you lower it, same by gpu OC if any..?

13. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    I can't even get it to a point where I have a save file.

Yep. My OC didn't make a difference. I have it at default settings now and it still crashes. No personal GPU OC. The card came OC'd, but I haven't pushed it further.

14. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Not a troll post, sorry if I not wrote that in a more serious way, seeing how people behaved in this forums I found that way of writing my post more convenient,I don't know how an os manages their resources or if something can be made in updates so it can improbe the original OS, im being ignorant here so the only thing i can do is share my experiences, but I've seen games using less vram at the same setting Im used too... like in GTA V, AC syndicate (they have a VRAM metter in setting and goes up everytime you up some settings) and in this case specially in doom, using the nightmare setting is giving me high frames, no stutter, no input lag and low latency and that is translated in what people call a butter smooth gameplay ot at least is what i understand of butter smoth gaming, correct me if im wrong..

Edit: sorry for not making a video, but i usually not use video game recoding software not even gfe, so here are some screenshots, im practically new in these kinds of forums so i don't know how to rezize images so i uploaded them i a host that already makes smals thumbnails.

[​IMG]

These are my settings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these are my usual frames with openGL 4.5 with nighmare settings, sometimes they drop below 50 like 48 or 49 in maps like vega central processing, but most of the time are just in the 60 and some frames ahead, and on the first levels like UAC are 90 or 100 but no more. And something stutters in hell maps like this one (titan realms)

[​IMG]

these are my frames with vulkan at the same settings, at first i tought it was a bug and the game wasn't processing the nightmare setting and just using ultra setting instead, i tried both nightmare and ultra settings..., ultra gave me like 160+ fps on maps like this so it was not.

[​IMG]

so vulkan here with the newest drivers gave me practically a 90% increase in performance and that's massive. :3eyes:

Game mode isn't working here thou, i found that it benefits just 2 or 3 frames in games like civ 6 and fallout 4, and probably gta v (i did not tested that game so well), in other games just it does nothing so it seems to benefit cpu intensive games.

15. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    Not True

:3eyes:Not correct i have you know i have been on the insider driver build sets since day 1 and the latest is version 15025 , and i have no issues on DOOM. I think he just may update his windows 10 build.:pc1:

16. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    I've been troubleshooting all day. Still can't get it to load past 99%...

I've swapped monitors, tried tons of driver versions, changed page file size, changed sound settings, disabled Sound Blaster Z, tweaked nvidia profile settings, run in compatibility and administrator mode, run Vulkan and OGL, verify cache, delete and reaquire executables, disabled and added exceptions to my anti-virus... and probably other stuff that I forgot.

I guess I just have to hope Id and Bethesda are taking in crash reports and plan on continuing to update the game. I guess it's needs to be fixed at the developer level. The only thing I would like to try but can't is swap out my GPU for an older model -- maybe a 980 -- but I don't have one.

I'm open for suggestions if anyone reading this thread has any ideas.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Windows 10 build 15031 just arrived, try updating to that

Not sure if you need the latest GPU drivers for these preview builds, I would imagine so

Got all the C++ redistribs up to date and installed?
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=393405

18. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    Worth a shot. Thanks.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Before you reinstall windows, etc., try this

delete whole ID software folder and start fresh. Found @ desktop user folder/saved games/Id Software

maybe its some sort of glitch in cfg file or save games folder in general..

20. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    Another troubleshooting step I did was move my Steam installation folder to the "Program Files (x86)" directory (I usually install games in a different directory away from UAC as much as possible). I deleted the folder then. I'll do it again, I mean, why not...

And latest C++ runtimes didn't fix it. I appreciate the suggestions though.