The GTX 1080 thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bugsixx, May 7, 2016.

1. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Yes agree price for EVGA Hybrid is good and above mentioned EK Predator plus block can run to hundreds £££ and if its worth,depends because you will have "water" cooled CPU

Just register EVGA Hybrid over on EVGA website and you should be fine,I think warranty over here in UK is 1 year for them,but I would check this

If you will regret it,hard to say... Few people have same issues,but I know several people who run them without the issues,I've had just bad luck

My recommendation get better fan there,I've used EK Vardar F3 1850RPM and if you want quieter fan then have look on Noiseblocker something like this

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noiseblocker-blacksilent-fan-xlp-fan-120mm-pwm-2000rpm-fg-023-nb.html

or this

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noiseblocker-nb-eloop-fan-b12-ps-120mm-pwm-1500rpm-fg-056-nb.html

Stock or supplied EVGA fan is way too loud for my liking there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

2. Thelmet

Thelmet Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    You helped me a ton and I really appreciate it! Thanks!

3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    No worries, installing the EVGA Hybrid kit is very easy, just I would recommend get good tools as some EVGA and Nvidia screws are just pain in arse to remove

Have installed few kits and only on two cards have issuecto remove screws and this has been on my Titan X

Second option is put NZXT Kraken G10 and use Corsair Hydro or NZXT Kraken AIO/CLC which can be expensive and you will need to use some sort of VRM cooling

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

4. Thelmet

Thelmet Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I should probably pick up a good tool set for PC. Any recommendations?

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

There are few kits which are pretty good,you will need PH1 and PH000 and hex which I right now don't remember 4mm and 1.5mm Hex bit I think they're using or they're used

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

6. Autarch20

Autarch20 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX FE 1080
    Got a GTX 1080 yesterday!!!!!! its an Nvidia Reference Founders edition (after owning several different GFX cards with 3rd party coolers, i can safely say, i am starting to like the Reference (Nvidia stock) GFX card coolers...

Dont get me wrong, i absolutely LOVE the STRIX lineup (by far my fav of the 3rd party cards and product line.) but even the STRIX cards suffered Incredible sagging over a month of use....

anywho, any good games (that came out in 2017) i should pick up to play on my new setup?

ASUS ROG G20CB-B21 (came with a Weird Unmarked and extremely cheapish GTX 1070)
    Core i7 6700
    Nvidia Reference FE GTX 1080 (i had to get one lol)
    16GB RAM
    27in 4ms Curved Samsung (C27F591FD) Display (turns out its a freesync monitor... DOH!- wasnt marked as such on the box\wasnt even looking for a monitor with Freesync or G-sync)
    Logitech G910 Keyboard + Logitech G602 mouse

7. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    Welcome to the club!! Enjoy!

8. BlackBriar

BlackBriar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 SC ATX
    For those of you with EVGA 1080s, have you been happy with them so far from a performance / noise perspective?

My current card (780) is dying so need to get a replacement - I was looking at either the SC GAMING or the FTW GAMING models

9. Vellinious

Vellinious Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW x 2
    Very happy. I've had 5 different EVGA cards. 3 SCs when they first released, and now the 2 x FTWs. They all overclocked pretty decent. The SCs hit the power limit pretty easy, though. Thus my move to the FTW, with the increased power limit.

10. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    1080 VS 1080Ti

Well, we knew it was coming. 1080 is old tech now. But my question is how many of your are happy with your 1080 rigs.

For me it was a no-brainer - going from 2 x 7970 xfire to 2 x asus strix 1080's.

I couldn't wait for another year to pass before I could play 4K.

I see next big jump is when 8K monitors become mainstream and there are cards that can run that resolution.

That will be my next upgrade - until then, 1080's are doing just fine! No need to go to 1080Ti

11. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I would love to get a 1080ti for 2160p 60fps gaming but it's a little more than I want to pay for a gpu and I already just got a 1070 not even a year ago. The good news is the next generation of cards looks promising for 2160p. I'm guessing based on the past, the gtx 2070(or whatever the 1070 of next gen is called) will either match or slightly beat the 1080ti at a much better price.

12. FaneHimura

FaneHimura Guest

GPU:
    4 gb
    Hi, 6 months ago i have bought an Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming and i have some weird behavior in gta 5 i don t know if these are artifacts/memory error or other issue with the card ....
    Here you have a link with the artifacts/error or what is this ?

So can you tell me if these are artifacts ? my card is faulty ?
    Can you tell me your opinion please ?
    Thank you.

13. FaneHimura

FaneHimura Guest

GPU:
    4 gb
  14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Even titan xp can't play all games @4k how will a 1080ti xD, well unless you tone it down a lot, i rather play 2880x1620p then with much higher eye fidelity and faster fps.

15. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    You do realize the 1080ti outperforms the titan right?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Thing is (and always has been) that by that time new more demanding games are likely to pop up too, so the circle will go on. But still, there are some people who prefer to drop some settings here and there to cope with this. I myself couldn't, hence why I'm still on 1440p, ultra 4xmsaa ftw. :nerd:

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Consoles are moving to support 4K as native and the hardware there isn't going to catch up to PC. So PC will easily do 4K games next generation.

I also disagree about the 1080Ti and 4K support. Yes, obviously their are some newer games that you can't max out entirely at 4K and hit 60fps.. but most games have a few "visually minor" settings that can be disabled to hit 4K@60.

Then you have the entire swath of older titles that are easily driven at 4K.

I play tons of stuff on my 4K TV with my 1080 - the Ti will be more than capable and I actually intend on buying one + the 4K 144Hz HDR monitor when it comes out.

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Hi guys!

So i was shopping for a new gpu and i was looking at a 1070 when suddenly i saw a Gigabyte 1080 Windforce OC for 515€! Normally i wouldn´t spend so much money at a gpu but when i saw a 1080 at the prices of the 1070 i couldn´t resist and ordered one! Not to mention i´m thinking about buying a 4K screen so i need all the firepower.

My question now is, did i made a good buy with this model??? I´ve been looking for reviews of this card but i can´t find a single one... I hope i didn´t bought the card this "cheap" because it´s crap...

Thanks!

19. HittriX

HittriX Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    I would not recommand buying a 4k screen for a GTX1080, it just dont have enough gfxpower for it imo, 1440p would be perfect.
    BTW, nice deal on the GTX1080!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Nice catch on the single 8 pin, didn´t notice that! It´s gonna have some impact on the oc limits but it´s okay for me. For me it´s more important the cooling performance and the noise made by it. My previous GTX970 from MSI was silent 90% of the time and for me that was the best part of the card. I hope this one is also silent or close.

@Hittrix, i know i´m pushing it if i buy a 4K screen to go with the 1080 but the screen is something i keep for a very long time, 5 years minimum, and here at Portugal the price of 4K screens is basically the same price as the 1440p ones... For example i´m looking at a Samsung 28 4k screen with Freesync that costs 345€ and i can´t find a 1440p one cheaper than this!... Not to mention i don´t mind playing games with lower settings or play the most demanding ones at 1440p, if necessary.
    Still feel free to recomend a 1440p if you want and i´ll give it a look.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  21. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    1440p @ 144Hz + G-Sync is the sweet spot for the GTX1080.

22. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    ya i run 4k on my sony tv using gtx1080. honestly, modern game for me dont run near 55fps

most games run about 40-50fps

23. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
    You do realize that Freesync is for AMD cards right ?

G-Sync is for nVidia cards.