Uninstall antivirus software - vendors are terrible

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 1, 2017.

1. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Same here, been using NOD32 since 2008.

Want to lose the Antivirus then go Linux!

2. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    I regard anyone claiming PCs should be used without AV very low.
    In the same line as Anti-Vaxxers, Anti-Condom claimers and Global warming deniers.

3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Not using at all AV for many years and only protection what I've is MS Defender

Every three weeks I use Malware Antibytes or Combofix for scanning viruses

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Not using any kind of AV product either. Since around 2010, I'd say.

Who knows what kind of malware I have on my disk as a result. It doesn't seem like I have any, but I wouldn't know for sure, would I :grin:

5. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Got rid of mine a while back, as it's a waste of money, not before Norton begged me to stay over and over again...

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So i´m not going to pretend what´s best because i simply dont´know!

But i do have question for those more knowledgeable than me: i use AVG as antivirus and i scan every week my PC with the latest Spybot updates, it this protection good enough??? I haven´t found a virus for more than 5 years...

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Oh it's you again. The person that's using the whole operating system from a company you claim is even worse than phone scammers. How's the brain transplant queue going?

1) Make sure that your OS and browser are always at the latest version.
    2) LISTEN when your browser tells you that a file is not trusted.
    3) Have UAC activated.
    4) Leave Windows Defender running in the background.
    5) Do custom scans every week/less than a week with another non-resident AV like Malwarebytes.
    6) If possible, use an anti-malware blocklist in your firewall/router.
    7) Common sense.

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I used to be a ESET user back in XP days I think, after vista x64 I just stopped using any AV, they are more annoying than malware itself

w10 made me consider using AV software again with their defender thing since it seems fairly unobtrusive, ended up disabling it after less than a year

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Normally I'd agree, considering MS's Security Essentials were, at one point, so bad they lost their AV certification back in 2012. Not to mention, the spyware Windows comes with now.

All that being said, I think this developer said those things because MS's AV doesn't screw around with Firefox. After all, it is in MS's interest to discourage users from web browsers other than IE or Edge, so why would they support others?

Anyway I agree with this dev. I don't remember the last time I installed AV on any Windows setup I've done. For the past 9 years I've primarily been using Linux, and only once have I got a virus for that (I used a really crappy root password with SSH forwarded).

As for those of you saying "I've been using <crappy program> for years and haven't had a virus!" had it not occurred to you that you in fact have had infections that just slipped right past it? By that logic, that's like going to some crappy doctor saying "my head hurts" and he tells you it's just a headache, when in fact you've got a tumor. But, he's a doctor, so you have to believe him, right?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I agree with the ex Mozilla dev. No one actually needs an anti virus. Besides Windows Defender does a good enough job with Windows 10.

The only way to get a virus in the first place is by user error. Malware or viruses don't simply appear on your PC. They get there because you downloaded infected files, or clicked on links leading to sites that trick you in to installing something.

11. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    Cool story bro. Perhaps his new prospect is to become a hacker?

12. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Ex-Mozilla guy is crazy...someone should hack his ish just to be sure he's not part of a circle of hackers/scammers.

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    last time I looked, you couldn't uninstall common sense.

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I stopped using 3rth party AV some time ago, either they hamper browser functions, make batch jobs run slow or hamper game performance, so if anything is going to break anything it might as well be MS.
    I do use some additional protection for encryption, url blocking etc., and got some 3rth party on demand scanners for just in case scenarios.
    The Ex-Mozilla guy is correct though, AV vendors don't really contribute to make browsers safer, they rather do the opposite by breaking things in them browsers, which kinda is his point.
    Apart from that, all AV's are kinda useless anyway.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Why is he crazy? Most of what he said is very true, and as the article stated, he's not the only professional who feels this way.

Also, being hacked is very different from getting a malware infection.

16. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    I get his point, but, spewing it on the internet for the inexperienced to gobble up as well is simply irresponsible on his part.Which begs the question as to why he left Mozilla or did Mozilla let him go.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't see your point. The reason he "spewed it on the internet" is specifically so "the inexperienced will gobble it up". He wants people to know that buying crapware like Norton or McAffee or AVG can cause more harm than good.

As for why he left Mozilla, I agree that is important to know.

18. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Believe what you want then.If Mozilla made the statement officially then I'd give it consideration, but not from someone who is no longer employed by them.

19. TeGarchoFF

TeGarchoFF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Turbo
    If you keep tabs on running processes, CPU usage, starting programs and services and in general, your computer behaviour, you are all right.

I have never installed an AV solution either since 2009. Never used Windows Defender. And I've had my fair share of warez.

I just scan everything I download with Trend Micro's Sysclean from the command line and run a scan on my system once in a while with Housecall. Keep tabs on running processes and starting programs and that's it.

In short: no AV, but common sense.

20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    No it isn't, he added the statement that you should only be doing this IF you have an up to date modern OS which that alone is pretty good advice and is for most average users going to offer as much protection against malicious infections as most third party AVs.

I also assume you missed the quite logical reason he gave behind why Mozilla is unlikely to announce such a statement?