The GTX 1070 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

The water on my loop is 27c right now , reading was done by my Coolant temperature display on a Maelstrom 5 1/4" Dual Bay Reservoir , here:

[​IMG]

I have tried water chillers , single stage phase change coolers on my PCs before for 24/7 operation , but i would not recommend doing that as you will always run the chance of condensation and water can find it's way thru the PC components easily , that was my biggest problem while trying sub-sero temperatures at -42c for 24/7 daily PC using a Vapochill LS single stage phase change unit ( Condensation ) , same as my water chiller i always had lots of condensation problems even at -15c.

In 2008 i did a monster built with a highly overclocked Core i7 Core i7 965 Etreme Edition cooled by a Vapochill LS Single Stage Phase Change 24/7 CPU , 4 way crossfire on full cover water blocks 2x 4870x2 etc... You can take a look at my built log from 2008 here: ( finished built ) http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=281297&page=7 ( beginning of that built ) http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=281297&highlight=zeus , that was one of a kind :) , at that time not a lot of people were using sub-sero temperatures or high end custom water loops to cool their cpus and gpus , good old times :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Finally i received my new card today :) , it is a lot better than the last one , this one boost to 1974Mhz and stays there out of the box without touching anything , it got Micron memory. I'm going to take my time and test it a few days on stock cooler acx 3.0 before i install my EK water block.

3. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    actually the boost can reach 1999 MHz w/o touching anything.

try view from MSI:AB

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I have a quick question about the EVGA GTX 1070 FTW. Im not comfortable taking the card apart to apply the thermal pads, but I am comfortable flashing both BIOSes. From what I read that I can get away with only flashing the BIOSes without the thermal pads. Has anyone just flash the BIOSes and not apply the pads and was able to get better OC results due to the increase in fan speed?

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you , you are absolutely correct , saw it in AB.

6. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Is there a special reason why eVGA limits this to something below 2GHz?

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No idea , i have just found out today. My guess would be stability.

8. FrAnTiC

FrAnTiC Guest

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX1070 OC
    Hi there gys ,I have a quastion regarding BIOS update for my GPU.I'm sorry if it has been already answered but I don't have the time to read all 50+ pages, also if this is not the right tread please let me know.
    So three months ago I bought that GPU(1070) and I have no complains about it, the performance is great, the temps are great and the clocks out of the box are also good(2025MHz when I start the game and lowers to 2000-2012MHz when it heat up).
    The problem is that it is really bad overclocker ,+91(core) and +200(Vram) and it crashes with the checkboard pattern.
    I have the feeling that this is happening due to unstable power delivery because if I downcloack the Vram to the lowest possible with AB I can hit 2169Mhz on the core,it even passes FireStrike with that setting although there is not much of improvement because of the low memory clock.
    To the point I've read about the issue with Micron memory chips(like the ones found on my card)and I was wondering if some kind of BIOS update would help.So I would apreciate some advise ,should I flash the BIOS to newer ver.
    If the answer is yes how exactly do I do this.I checked and downloaded some BIOS from the ASUS website but it is only an executable(.exe) file ,do I just run it or what.
    Thank you in advance.Best regards.

9. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    if can hit 2 GHz by default who wanna buy FTW at the 1st place?

by the way, we can OC manually by ourselves.

10. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Yes I know. I was just curious if that was an eVGA issue or "speciality", as other cards (the ones I've had incluced) boost above 2GHz out of the box. Mine has a custom board though, so I thought this might be a FE / reference layout thing.

@frantic: Just install the bios and check again. I don't think 2.1GHz is a bad overclocker, there's little to nothing more to wish for. The RAM could (should normally) go a little higher but I'd check performance before and after.
    Very often, "compatibility" updates don't change much more than give you higher latencies for memory. It'll run at higher clock rates, but won't be much (if any) faster than before.

11. FrAnTiC

FrAnTiC Guest

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX1070 OC
    Radical_53 Thanks for the quick replay.I can hit 2.1GHZ and above only when the memory is severely underclocked.

And what do you mean by just install it,back in the day we used to copy the ROM file on to a USB stick and then re-flash it in BIOS(I haven't done that in years) now what ,I just run the .exe file that I downloaded from ASUS website?Anyway thank you very much maybe I'll just stick with that one as I am perfectly satisfied with the performance gaming wise.

12. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Before you run the the file backup your original bios with GPU-Z

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I would strongly recommend installing the thermal pads or send your video card to eVGA and they will do it for you. As it stands right now those 2 options are ready available for you and it really does help a lot , cooler video card = higher and stable higher overclocks + longer life for the video card. Go to eVGA website to the forum , all the information you need is there. Also google gamer nexus on youtube and other reviewers have done that already. Do it it is really worth it.

14. FrAnTiC

FrAnTiC Guest

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX1070 OC

The problem is that this is not dual BIOS GPU and if I f**k it up the backed-up BIOS won't be much of a help,and I obviously don't wanna do that :)

15. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Gigabyte gaming G1 here with micron memory and the latest bios. Best overclock I could get was 2050mhz core/2249mhz memory(that's what it reads in GPUZ when running heaven)
    Voltage has little to zero effect on improving stability. Any increases on either the core or the memory results in artifacts. Wish I could find a way to push it further. Little disappointing but still performs well enough.

16. FrAnTiC

FrAnTiC Guest

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX1070 OC
    tensai28 can you get higher OC on the core if you don't OC the Vram or even underclock it.I'm asking because if I underclock the Vram(-502MHz which is the lowest you get with AB) I can get it to hit 2164MHz on the core and even pass trough FireStrike, but at default Vram clock I can't get it stable above 2088, overckocking both is disaster.Maximum I could get is +52 core and +190 mem which results in 2088core/4192mem.I understand that this is not bad but I feel it could do better with more adequate power delivery.Thats why I'm considering flashing the vBIOS I just don't want to brick my card as I am happy with it's gaming perfomance which is why I bought it in the first place.

17. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    How would you been able to do that You simple make an backup the original bios there is no bios editor available for Pasal yet !

18. FrAnTiC

FrAnTiC Guest

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX1070 OC
    I know there is no BIOS editor for Pascal, but there is an official bios update form ASUS.I don't know, should I update and are there any benefits in doing so?

19. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    I did with my MSI Gtx 1070 new bios in december not even for my serial number but no complaints and does asus does not have an release note with the new bios ?

20. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    With the vram at +0 (vram currently at +500) I can raise my core to +100 from my current +60. +120 causes it to bug out and artifact. Problem is this results in lower fps compared to my combined overclock so I chose to keep my core at +60. I tried underclocking my memory a little but that didn't seem to do much. I didn't underclock it as low as you did. Wouldn't that negatively impact the performance a lot underclocking it that much?

Edit:I just tried it to see and it's not working for me. Underclocked the memory as low as it can go and raised the core to +120 and still got artifacts popping up even at max voltage.

Overall performance for the card is good but I really wish I could push out a few more frames. I originally bought the card for 1080p gaming and since then I've upgraded to a 2160p 4k display. Now at 1440p, I find myself having to compromise a setting or two in order to keep 60fps on some games where I was easily maxing everything out at 1080p. The shame is; those games I am compromising settings on are only dropping to the mid 50's so if I was able to get a better oc, things would be perfect.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.