About Dark Souls games

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by AsiJu, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    It's not anymore though. GFWL was taken out of the game more than a year ago, and that's a very good thing :)

I don't know how expensive DS1 is now, but get it when it's on a steam sale.

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Good to know, thanks!

Kinda torn between 1 and 3 atm... DS 1 is 30 € on Steam atm (cdkeys has 3 for around 23 €)

3. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Dark Souls 1 is less than 10 bucks on g2a

4. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Yeah, on one hand DS1 is the best, on the other it is old and cryptic and confusing. So DS3 looks like a good start for a newcomer, but at the same time, as I said before, the enemies are much much faster and more aggressive. DS3 I way more linear and easy to understand, but I fear the need for faster and precise doges may be overwhelming at first.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    That's a good point. DS3 is definitely more accessible for newcomers to the series than DS1 was. I really didnt understand much of DS1 when I first played it but DS3 was easier to grasp. Like I wrote before, when I play DS1 after having finished DS3 multiple times, I find it much easier to grasp the situation.

6. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Im warning you. Play the first, first. You are blowing the DS experience playing the 3rd first.

7. Drhax

Drhax Guest

GPU:
    Rx 480
    Out of all of them I liked the first better, made three much more enjoyable, two is okay but it differs from the series a bit.

8. glock38

glock38 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    First one is the best, haven't come across many Souls players who'd argue with that. it also has the best designed world as well as some of the most memorable bosses/stages out of the series. 3 is a close second, mainly due to the develops trying to go back to style of the first, and they have the director Miyazaki back who was missing for Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls 2 is turd, the game has a different director and it's very telling. A lot more cheap deaths, bad level design, cheap enemies and overall it's just a very frustrating experience imo.

You will find them difficult at first, but persevere and you'll soon be stomping through the game like a boss.

Oh yeah, and I'd definitely say play them in order even though I know how tempting it can be to go for the shiny new one!

9. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    OP, please be sure to let us know what was your experience with the series, after all this :)

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I ended up getting DS 3 after all. Based on all I read wanted to get the one I'd most likely handle as it might be the only DS game I'll play as well.

About 8 hours in and slowly getting the hang of it. I definitely like it though!
    The combat is challenging and rewarding and the rpg system is just right. Deep enough without being overly complex.

Combat mechanics are nicely varied too. Not just light/heavy attack and dodge but one and two handed wielding, equip two weapons or one and shield, parry and riposte...
    choose the right tactic to succeed.

I spent two hours in the beginning just practicing parrying. I'm always adamant in melee combat games to learn the parry/counter system.

Haven't quite figured it out yet... plus dodging and blocking are much safer bets :)

Edit: all hints and tips welcome! Gameplaywise, no spoilers please :p

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

11. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Well, for now all will say is – don’t worry too much about how you spend your upgrade materials, because you will find a lot, plus the option to buy them. So find a weapon that you like and upgrade it as much as possible. Same goes for stat points – you will be able to reset them (up to five times per game cycle). Have fun!

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    AsiJu, I forgot to mention last time we spoke about EQ load and poise. Make sure that you never have more than 70% equip load and remember that even though you can have more than one weapon equipped, they all add to the total EQ load. If your EQ load is over 70% you will "fat roll" meaning your rolls will be slow and clumsy so make sure you spend your points accordingly.

Weapon damage scaling from upgrades is different depending on the weapon meaning putting points in different stats yield different results. Some weapons scale best with STR, others with DEX and so forth. All this info is found in the DS3 wiki if you want to know more.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ thanks!

Yea I found a Broadsword and now have it infused + enforced to Raw +1
    Thanks for the pointer about weapon scaling.

Also figured out the 70 % eq limit. Found Lothric armor and helmet and those took the number past 70 %.
    Compensated by removing gauntlets as those don't account for much protection (this was tipped in some video I watched earlier).

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Good choice but I'd like to recommend the Zweihander if you like huge 2H swords. It's got a nice kick to it but since it's slow you have to plan ahead a bit more :)

I've tried super heavy armor but the difference in damage reduction isn't as big as you might think and I've personally come to the conclusion that it will just make me believe I can take hits when in reality it's about dodging everything :D

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I prefer faster handling weapons though I could keep a heavy one in my inventory too. Also the Broadsword is the only sword I've came across so far :)

Not that different from default Longsword but had higher base damage to start with.

Read from the Wiki that you can actually defeat the dragon/wyvern in High walls of Lothric and from the Place he's guarding find Great Battleaxe, which should in turn be handy against Lothric's boss.

Well, not actually defeat but do enough damage and it leaves. Though the recommended weapon was a bow which I can't yield yet. Plus I sold it...

Hey, about weapon strength and dexterity/stamina requirements:
    I understand that you must have a minimum level to use certain weapons but does this also mean that the lower the value, the less strikes consume stamina?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm a sword guy so that's what I've used...exclusively :D 1H weapons are easier to handle than 2H plus you can carry a heavier shield in your offhand which can be advantageous. There are some badass tower shields later in the game that protect you from a lot of attacks :)

Quite possible, I'm not sure but I know that corruption infested dragons are vulnerable to fire :)

If you do not meet the minimum requirements you can't even use it (red cross icon). The other part if your question is a good one and I'm not sure although I think that each weapon has a fixed stamina drain value based on the type of attack (strong or light, special or run attack). If you invest more points that give more Stamina you can use those weapons in a longer succession without having to pause for Stamina refill.

Let's say that you have 25 stamina and your weapon costs 10 stamina to "use". This means that you'll have three strikes (10+10+10) and even though the last strike costs 10 and you only have 5 stamina left you will still be able to perform the attack. But if you invest points that increase your stamina to 31 you would have four strikes (10+10+10+10)...at least I think that's how it works :)

17. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    lol nice going OP wrong choice. You just missed the best gaming experience in the past 10 years starting with DS3. I cant even imagine...

18. glock38

glock38 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    In terms of early swords, make sure you don't miss the Astora Straight Sword! Can be got from the High Wall of Lothric in the room where you also find the estus shard, it's patrolled by axe wielders and a couple dogs. Infuse it to raw and keep upgrading, should do you good for the rest of the game. It's like the broadsword but less generic if you know what I mean. Done all my early playthroughs with it, it's a beast.

Infusing it with raw means you won't have to level up strength and dexterity early on in the game, you can instead focus on HP and Stamina, or magic if that's your thing.

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ thanks! Yea the Astora sword was mentioned in the wiki, that part is exactly where I'm at atm.

The axe wielders have killed me three times, need to switch tactics...

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yes! Got the Astora Sword + the rest of the stuff from the bottom floor.

Also leveled up a bit and "finally" managed to kill the dark spirit next to the Firelink shrine:

[​IMG]

:D

Oh, also got the Claymore and the Battleaxe. You don't have to fight off the wyvern, just time your runs...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017