Valve is working on a new single player game

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 18, 2017.

1. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    Gee, 2017 just started and it's April Fools already?! Wow. lol

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme

Oh fuk squidge

3. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    The wait is too long and the expectation is too high for any HL related games which could lead to the downfall of HL series unless they made the perfect HL game

4. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Sounds like you played it way after it was released. You have to understand that for the time the game more immersive than anything else out. It set the bar for other games. So I can understand not getting it because by now you've played other games which took elements from HL2 and probably did them better. Episodes 1 and 2 were much faster paced which was one of the main issues with HL2 and I think they hold up a little better today.

I read a lot of that AMA and I think they are working on a new IP set in the same universe as HL. I would be very happy with that.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I would argue that for both the amazing parts were new story telling ways and level design and AI.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    HL2 was an incredible game. The graphics were excellent, physics were incredible, game pace was incredible, the story was really good - maybe not the best but definitely up there. Voice acting and characters were all good. Music was really good. Ravenholm was scary as hell.

Everyone talks about how HL3 would never live up to the hype, but they said the same thing about HL2 leading up to it's launch and yet that game still managed to exceeded expectations.

7. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    I agree with everything but the pacing. Having played through HL2 about 4ish times I would say both the boat and car sequences where you are basically just going from point to point clearing combine went on way too long and felt like filler.

Another aspect that fell short was the AI, which did not meet the bar set by Halo CE 3 years earlier. I am replaying Halo again on my XB1 and the AI still feels better than many games released today. If you shoot at an enemy they move and don't just stand there, I don't know why more games don't get this concept.

But a game is the sum of its parts and HL2 was still exceptional despite the minor flaws. Gabe in his AMA said he could not enjoy HL2 as all he could see when playing it was his failures in the game's direction. He much preferred Portal 2 as he did not make many decisions on that game and could enjoy it for what it was. I feel bad that he could not enjoy something he worked so hard on.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  8. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    I'm a little disappointed in this post. If you read the AMA you would know that Gabe did not actually say this. This isn't typical of Guru 3D to post something inaccurate.

9. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    The article has the question and answer as it was in the AMA, how is that inaccurate? I read it direct from Reddit too and he absolutely said they are working on a single player game. Also not mentioned in this article is that he said they are working on a new IP as well possibly set in the HL universe.

Now we all know Valve. Just because they are working on something does not mean it will ever see the light of day. But what we do know now is they do still want to keep releasing new single player games, which I think was not clear before the AMA. Many people believed that interview with the supposed developer that they had all but given up on making great story driven games.

10. DJSean00

DJSean00 Guest

GPU:
    Asus STRIX-GTX1080
    Get's my vote, loved that damn game! :banana:

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    HL2 even today is still better than most of the stuff thats released.

12. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    And at one time Episode 3 was confirmed.. then it wasn't. My point? Things change. Nothing is set in stone.

Half Life 2 and its episodes were all about showing off the new capabilities of the source engine at the time.
    Basically Half Life is a tech demo with an amazing story crafted around it. Not unlike how Unreal Tournament is a tech demo for the Unreal Engine.
    Each time they show off new stuff and frame the narrative around it.

- Half Life 2: Physics based interactions with game world objects, complex character models and animations, ragdolls, ect.

- Episode 1: Interaction with AI, new animations, light effects, HDR.

- Episode 2: New physics based destruction system(Rail Bridge collapse after crash in the beginning) and the barn being pulled apart during the fight with the advisor.

I've maintained the view for a very long time that Half-Life 3 (or whatever its to be called) will only see the light of day after Source 2 Engine is completed and Valve wants to show off its capabilities in a big way.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    HL EP3, but yea its not exactly HL3. Guess that's another way to keep the game going, also to show off new SourceEngine.

L4D3 would be great too

I played it along with Doom3 and I liked Doom more. Not a fan of Source engine, preferred more "metallic" vibe like by UE or ID4.

HL2 had a few memorable moments, but imo Doom3 had more, even if more scripted
    only issue was small levels Vs Source with huge levels, sometimes I couldn't believe how big and still great fps :nerd:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    L4D series isn't single player so why you'd mention that game is a mystery to me.

I think Portal 3 is more likely and if they get it right and use really good voice actors like they did in P2 then it'll be a big success for them i'd bet.

15. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Interesting that I didn't like Doom 3 at all. It felt so repetitive I got bored half way through. I liked Quake 4 a lot more.

Those huge levels were plagued with stuttering even on high end rigs when the game first released. Took them about 6 months to get it iron out. I remember tweaking INIs to bump the cache values up and get it running well on my mid range 9600 pro and Athlon XP 2600+.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Try Doom 3 BFG with HD texture pack on VR now.
    Something else!
    One of the best VR experiences and it doesnt need a high end PC.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah it was system ram, I remember those stutters too, when I upgraded to 1 or was it 2GB it was like night and day, same by doom3, P4 presshot 530 OC to 3.6 lol :D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  18. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Calling L4D not singleplayer is just wrong. Thats like saying Minecraft isn't a singleplayer game.

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The game was just called "Unreal", it wasn't until later they added "Tournament" to the game library.

20. Drhax

Drhax Guest

GPU:
    Rx 480
    Half life 3 hype! But I do wonder what the game will be