The GTX 1070 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Please check this link

http://www.hitzestau.com/waterblocks-for-the-nvidia-gtx-1080/

Have run Zotac GTX1080 AMP but I'm selling that card and getting FE or stock GTX1080 as for Zotac I'm unable find good full WB although Alphacool have one but is really restrictive and I don't want this...

Abobe link will help you with deciding which card to get there,have Titan X Maxwell with full EK WB for sale as I'm thinking getting another GTX1080 or Titan X Pascal

Hope this helps and best of luck

Thanks, Jura

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thanks a lot for the help and information Jura11. That list is very helpful.
    I'm ready to order this GTX 1070 video card from newegg as it's on sale for $379US Dollars :
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487265 to go with this EK waterblock http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-f...block-with-plexi-top-for-nvidia-gtx-1070.html , that video card has a reference pcb design ( same as founders edition ) , so that's the full cover water block for it. On my way to check out i go. Again thank you for your help.

Kind Regards: Angelo.

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hola my friend Matt , did you ever got to test the 3 resistors shunt mod on your FE video card ? I have research a lot for the last couple of days and i could not find much information or feedback from users that have done this mod on their FE VGAs but from what i have gather it helps and allows a tiny bit of overclocking headroom ~25Mhz give or take on the core. I know the Pascal cards are already OC to the max pedal to the metal out of the box already and there is not much room left for overclocking , all GTX 1070 overclocked will always end up in between 2000Mhz ~ 2100Mhz ( unless you hit the silicon lottery ) + Power limit + core voltage limit is limiting what we can do with our Pascal cards. can you give me your feedback and experience with this mod ?

I am really curious if it helps in gaming ( real gains in fps ) since i do not benchmark anymore for hwbot points , and i do not feel it is worth it to do the whole TiNs volt mod soldering resistors and what not because i will be selling this video card later on and i do not want to destroy the card loosing the warranty and selling potential. We got exact same hardware since the GTX 1070 i have is also a FE pcb that eVGA slapped an acx 3.0 cooler on it and call it GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition :giggle2: ( such a long name for reference pcb video card lol ). I will be installing an EK full cover water block today so it will go into my custom water loop asap today. If anyone else tried this shunt mod please i would appreciate any feedback.

It would have been so much easier if we had a Pascal tweaker program , but i research until not available and there is nothing out yet. Thank you in advanced.

4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    chispy; just try it as it is. For not even 1% extra performance and de-valuing card, it's not worth the bother.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Got it , thank you for the advice.

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Finally i have finish mounting the water block , i'm going to test some games now to see how she behaves :)

[​IMG]

7. G-lad21

G-lad21 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1070@ACX3.0
    Hey guys, looking forward to buying a 1070, but i got this history with coil whine that ruins my life ffs!

can anyone say from experience that his 1070 isn't coil whining? and say its brand?

thank you!

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Even though I'm still too chicken**** to go into full out watercooling myself, I have to admit I do love the slick minimalist look of some of these waterblocks.

Do post a pic with the whole inside of the rig when it's ready. :D

9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Looks good, what temps are you getting?

Yesterday I've finally put my PC under water, CPU plus two blocks(GTX1080 and Titan X) and my temps are on GPU in 34°C under very heavy load in rendering, Titan X is running cooler by 5-8°C...

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Hi there

You shouldn't be chicken to do full Water loop, yesterday I've put CPU and GPU's under water and this took me around 3 hours to do so, just I would use good fittings and look on few guides etc plus I would check for leaks,in my case no leaks and today I have tested everything and looks I'm OK and no issues, just I would choose probably few other bits as well, but I'm happy

As first I would use normal tubing and then I would have look on PETG or Acrylic tubing which I would be doing as next

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

10. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    The looks are nice but it's not worth the hassle (or the money, or the noise) anymore.
    it was great 10 years ago though :D

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well i have bad news , the video card was showing at idle sometimes and while gaming some artifacts and squares at stock clocks and while overclock . It was random but it was happening too often while playing Forza Horizon 3 at stock clocks , the video card had Micron memory but it came with the latest bios fixed already from evga ( as per evga ).

I had to uninstall the water block and mount the stock cooler to test the video card on air and rule out a bad block mount but it kept doing it , this also happened a couple of times before i mounted the water block but because i tested the video card for a few minutes only to make sure it boots and was working , i was impatient to mount my new shiny water block so i did pay no attention.

Long story short , my video card had a faulty memory controller or some of the micron memory chips vram were acting up/defective :/ . It was sent for rma today in the morning , my new card should be here in around 2 weeks. Will update once i have everything back together , meanwhile Intel Integrated HD4000 will have to do :bugeye:

PS: temperatures with the water block were 29c iddle and 37c under full load overclocked.

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    chispy
    Sorry to hear that, hope you solve it soon.

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for the kind words. No biggie , it happens often with all kinds of electronics hardware , it's not the first time i get a potato defective video card.

14. The Kiiler 47

The Kiiler 47 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1
    Hi
    I have gtx 970 g1 should i get gtx 1070 for 1080p or its wast of money?
    or should i buy new monitor support 1440p for gtx 1070?
    the best monitor i could get here is BENQ IPS GW2765HT 2K...

15. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Sorry to hear it. I've been looking at another MSI Gaming X. There's a dude on ebay who put his 3-4month old one up for auction. He specifically mentioned it's Samsung memory. Just sold for £350+£15p&p. I'm suprised lol.

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    29C idle... interesting.

My 1070 with Arctic Accelero Xtreme 4 Idles at 26C.

Bad TIM or does Air just cool better in Idle cuz the entire PCB gets Airflow?

17. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Air isn't better but at idle, the water rather warms than cools the GPU. Water cooling excels at load, not idle conditions.
    Still, the differences are slim nowadays and mostly won't show the clock differences to justify the money. Back in the days, good air temperatures meant really noisy fans, so water was both cooler and more quiet.
    Now, air can be much more quiet (no idle noise from the pump) and is only slightly warmer.
    Also, you'd normally fail to see 10% higher clocks with water over a good air setup. This used to be *much* more years ago.

18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Those idle temperatures on water relates to my already high ambient temperatures of ~27c ( or 82f ) because i live in the Caribbean island of Puerto Rico and i did not have my Air Conditioner on.

It's doing pretty good for such high ambient temperatures 24/7 365 days a year where i live , there's not such thing as winter in Puerto Rico , no snow or cold weather over here , it's always summer time in Puerto Rico ~27c every day :D . Water cooling like air cooling always will be dependent on the ambient temperatures hence why my temperatures even at idle can never exceed the ambient temperatures at this time of 27c ( Unless i go sub-zero on Liquid Nitrogen , but i already retired from extreme overclocking , so no more Liquid Nitrogen Benching for me ). As the fellow Guru already explained water cooling do exceeds at full loads and not idle temps. What's your ambient temperatures like ?

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Ambient is like 21-22 in my room, so that explains it ^^

20. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Have look my Titan X SC with 1475MHz OC and Raijintek Morpheus II and EK Vardar F3-120 1850RPM run on idle around 18C and load I've never seen more than 45C with fans running at 1000RPM,running fans at higher speeds,doesn't make any difference to temps

Right now Titan X SC is running same OC with EK WB and idle temps are 18-19C and load temps are 34C

GTX 1080 FE has run 29C on idle with fan running at 33% and fan has been very audible for my ears and on load sounded like jet fighter,now is running with EK WB and temps on idle are at 21C and load temps are in 36C during long hours of rendering(GPU usage on both GPU is at 100%)

My old Zotac GTX1080 AMP has needed to run 85% fan profile to keep temps in 74-78C when I rendered with both GPU,with single card rendering,temps has been in 64-67C and idle has been in 26-29C

My reason for going with full custom water loop has been to lower temps for GPU and if I will lower CPU temps then I'm very happy

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hi there

Yours ambient temps are high and due this you have such high idle temps on GPU there,which is normal

What water temp do you have on yours loop ?

Other option is go with water chiller,this can lower water temps and can lower GPU temps and CPU temps,I planned to use that,but in my case I don't have space where to put chiller

Hope this helps and hopefully you will receive yours card soon

Thanks,Jura

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.