GeForce GTX 1080 Ti announced at PAX March 10th?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    So i was hesitating to post this news-item as one site mentioned it, and all of the sudden it becomes a reality on the web. Unfortunately we cannot stay behind with news, so here we go. The latest rum...

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti announced at PAX March 10th?

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Makes sense to me. Vega isn't coming till Q2 most likely, so there is no reason for Nvidia to launch it now and cannibalize it's own sales.

I also think it's MSRP is going to be cheaper then most people expect. Factory Overclocked 1080's are already going for as low as $580. I can almost definitely see Nvidia kicking the MSRP of the 1080 down to $550 and setting the Ti MSRP at $650 - with the FE models being $750.

I expect Volta won't launch till Q1 2018, so that will give one year of Ti --> 1180 release (or whatever they are going to call it) which is the same as it was for the 780Ti and 980Ti to their respective replacements.

Yep and this is why I dislike rumor sites - it essentially forces all the reputable ones to sink to the level otherwise they lose out on revenue. Not that I'm blaming you - I'd do the same thing - it's just unfortunate that in some cases a random post on a forum can literally become a source for "news".

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  3. Unilythe

Unilythe Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Appreciate the fact that this news was posted with obvious cynicism and caution. Most news sites would simply copy paste the news and be done with it.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Not really excited about this now I own a GTX 1080 as my logical upgrade path now would be next year's inevitable GTX 1180. However, one thing that does interest me is just how much NVIDIA are going to be charging for this card given that the pricing of the GTX 1080 was already approaching ridiculous (and not helped either by NVIDIA silly premium on their otherwise standard reference Founder's Edition cards). I'm betting it will be between £700 and £800 here in the UK (versus the £560 I paid for my GTX 980 Ti in 2015). There's no way it is going to sell for the same price as the GTX 1080 unless NVIDIA do the right thing and reduce the prices on the older GPUs.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes, that 1080Ti at PAX rumor pops up after it's not announced at CES, just like it was said to be at CES by rumor sites before CES happened... we shall see, it's done when it's done.

Pricing will be more than the 980Ti (in relation to current money worth of course), I expect it to cross the 700€ barrier here easily, especially for the custom cooler models (if there will be some), and of course, the infamous founder's edition aka early adopter extra price tag edition.

6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    There will definately be price drops within Q2 for the current pascal range. We can expect a performance driver from Nvidia as well. The real secret sauce is Nvidia will be announcing their own api which is already intergrated into Unreal Engine 4 for extra 2% performance increases across the board.

7. Vdutch

Vdutch Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I am quite confused, I really thought the GTX 1080 had GDDR5X and that the GTX 1070 had GDDR5. I have seen in a few of your articles that you mention only the Titan X having GDDR5X memory. Are you sure this is the case?

Nvidia's website states that the GTX 1080 has GDDR5X running at 10 Gbps.

Why would the Ti have GDDR5 only when the normal 1080 has GDDR5X?

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    i would say est 799$ and thats being generous.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    A few things

The specs are totally rumor, it could have GDDR5x, it could not.. earlier leaks says it doesn't so I'm assuming that Hilbert is just going by the earlier leaks. No one knows for sure though.

GDDR5x costs more than GDDR5 but you can make the bus smaller for the same bandwidth. For a chip as small as the 1080, it might make more sense to use the smaller but more expensive GDDR5x - where as the Ti is already a pretty large chip - it may make less sense to use GDDR5x when you essentially already have the room for a 384bit bus since the chip is so large in the first place. Like you only get so many die's out of a wafer and Nvidia usually targets specific die sizes in order to maximize the output. So if the Ti's "optimized" die target is big enough that they can fit a 384bit bus, why use the more costly GDDR5x? And I'm not saying this is the case, because it may end up having GDDR5x - just saying that there are situations where it may not make financial sense to use GDDR5x.

10. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    To put it between 1080 and titan in memory bandwidth.

11. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    The way pricing is rising in gpu tech i think my Evga 980ti classified will be the last highend(at the time) gpu i buy for the next 2-3 years unless it dies, by then i`ll be in my 50`s and still on minimum wage with the cost of living ever increasing.

12. Vdutch

Vdutch Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yeah I understand all that, my comment was more that he only ever mentions the Titan X with GDDR5X and not the GTX1080. It is also my problem with these leaks, but I guess that is why there are leaks. They could be completely wrong.

13. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    The prices on these things are getting outta hand. Wish I could afford one myself.

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    everyone knows whens its coming
    soooo how fast is a 980ti at around 2200?

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm very excited since I need more GPU power and the 1080, although really great, doesn't deliver the last 15-20% that I need. I'd buy another 1080 if SLI wasn't on the brink of being discontinued. Regarding the pricing I see no reason why nVidia wouldn't simply do what they've done past generations and cut the MSRP price of current models and introduce the 1080Ti at current 1080 price or even slightly above. Some are certain that nVidia will charge 1000-1100$ and I really fail to see the reason for this. Sure, it's nice to earn a lot of money but I'm sure they're aware of what people are prepared to pay and they already have a minority that buy these 1080s, so why push it even further and introduce a new Ti generation that is 30+% more expensive than the last.

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    As many said, the moment Vega gets released, Ti will be there right after it.

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You tell us cowie, get that LN2 you clocker :D

I expect that to happen too, probably around the time the first useful Vega benches appear (besides in Vulkan...) Nvidia will release some information, and when Vega gets "paperlaunched" (HBM2 availability?) the green team will just drop their abundant supplies of not well produced or cut down Titan chips, earn lots of $, and chuckle at AMD's hype as they sell thousands of SKUs.

18. Rugburn

Rugburn Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3
    What we might actually get is updates on shield, geforce now, and that nvidia spot and the Audi car have learned how to talk to each other and order useless crap off Amazon.. All without typing anything, or taking your hands off the wheel.....Nvidia Ai everyone.../clap

19. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You're right, I understand it the same way as you - I think Hilbert made a typo.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well there is still a lot of mystery about vram specifications

will it be 10GB GDDR5x (320Bit) or will it be 12GB with GDDR5 (384Bit) or even 12GB GDDR5x like by TitanXP.

If its 12GB GDDR5x then it will attack TitanXP too much, I think they won't allow that, 10GB & 320Bit looks a bit cheap for enthusiast class gpu. That 12GB GDDR5 seems to be the best bet, 384GB/s and OC that to 11Ghz and its what 420GB/s?