Forza Horizon 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I think the cars drive fine. One thing I avoid is the drifting. I just can't do it. I have not completed a single drift zone successfully. I finished the expansion and won the King race without getting a single star in a drift zone.

2. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Make sure to try turning off the Game DVR stuff in Win 10. That has caused issues for many people posting on the official game forums.

3. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    The dev version they accidentally uploaded was unencrypted.

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I know! I've been so anxious for somebody to do a performance comparison to determine once and for all if the on the fly decryption has detrimental effects! I was away from home on that day, so I wasn't lucky enough to obtain the dev version of the game.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Same here. I've watched videos and I hate that drifting requires specific game settings and car settings. I guess it's simply something that you just "feel" you're doing right after countless hours of trying. My PB is two stars.

6. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Some kind members may still have it, sure would be interesting to run side by side comparisons.

7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Nice tip cheers.

I've done some tweaking now, along with DDU Nvidia and Intel drivers and reinstalling them both. My game is quite smooth now, definately a noticable improvement from before. This has allowed me to test some of the basic gfx options like 60fps. Still runs best at 30fps, but, I've found dropping resolution to 1680x1050 now gives noticably smoother gaming where as before the difference was minor.

However, along the way tweaking I somehow messed-up my Intel wifi drivers and something happened to Comodo Firewall (which I'd only installed yesterday after uninstalling W7 version); it was blocking FH3 and internet and also causing desktop to freeze, so I've had to uninstall it. Also, lost at least 3hrs today trying to fix wifi being stuck in "Airplane" mode. Fixed by re-enabling "Radio Management Service". (ffs).

Many more tweaks I will do tomorrow, just lost so much time today.

Unfortunately, re-install both video drivers didn't fix the video corruption. Does anyone get it? In-game graphics look fine, it's only actual videos that seem to not look right. This is especially noticable when I first start the actual game-play and you see the introductory video sequence. The 1st video after game first loads up look fine now, though. Weird.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. Turdhat

Turdhat Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 X
    I don't understand why you are having to use such a low resolution. I am using the exact same hardware and run at 3k (2880x1620) with all ultra accept shadows. My cpu is at 4.6, vid card is overclocked 100 on core and 400 on mem. System ram is 2800mhz. Within the last couple of updates even the dreaded Rainforest Escape race runs locked 60 fps however I am wondering if they dropped the particle density. At least give us the damn option ! I could be wrong though. Even the tram downtown is locked 60.

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It's on his laptop not his sig rig.

10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    This game is very light on the GPU, i think i could even go higher then 3440x1440 and still hold 60fps in most scenes.

Pretty impressive though for such a gorgeous looking game, and it's open world.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Tram at 60fps? You must be joking :) I'll have to play this evening to check it out.

Indeed, the game would benefit from using 99% of the GPU to smooth out the stutter that can occur in different scenarios. Still, it does run quite well in any resolution - I've tried 1080p, 1440p, 4K and I get 60fps in all of them (at least most of the time).

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    I've fixed my input lag issue, it was the custom resolution causing it.

I used 3440x1440, at native 2560x1080 i don't have input lag anymore and driving is now so much better and enjoyable.

13. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I have zero input lag doing 3440x1440@80hz on my 2560x1080.
    Maybe cause I have a freesync monitor.

14. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Really? Are you saying that custom resolutions and DSR caused your input lag? Are you using a wheel or controller? I've tried anything from my native 1080p up to 4k and input lag never seemed to increase on my X1 controller. The only thing that makes a big difference in input lag and stutters for me is dropping all settings from ultra to high. I can play at 720p with any single setting on ultra and get terrible stuttering. If I drop all settings to high I can play at 1620p with a locked 60, not counting the tram section.

I'll have to do some more testing with this game later on. I'm back on FM Apex for now.

EDIT - Just loaded up this game with the 1.0.39.2 for the first time. Nothing has changed. I can still get a locked 60 with high settings at 1620p, not counting the tram section. I'm starting to think that this game is a DX11 game with a DX12 wrapper. That would explain the draw call issues near the tram area. I just did some tests from one end of the tram to the other and back using vastly different settings, yet I got the same drops to ~47 FPS no matter what. First I set the game to 4k with medium settings, which lets me play the vast majority of the game world at 60 FPS but I still drop to ~47 at the tram.

Then I changed all settings to as low as possible and set the resolution to 720p. Exited the game so the settings would take, loaded it back up and did the same exact tram area test. Still dropped to ~47 FPS! What else would cause that when CPU and GPU usage are only between 30%-40%? Such potential for bringing this game to Windows 10, but leaves a sour taste in my mouth. With how powerful our PC's are we should be able to destroy X1 games. I sure hope things end up better in 2017 with DX12 and UWP games.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Yea could be freesync, i notice a big difference anyway on mine.

This monitor can't OC sadly.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I tried the new patch yesterday at 4K and did try lowering the shadows to High instead of Ultra. Kept 60fps in the Rainforest for the first time which is nice. Did play a race too and didn't get slowdowns in the beginning (though it was in Blizzard Mountain so I need to try this on sand or tarmac). Performance in Surfer's Paradise was better overall except the notorious tram section where my FPS goes down to ~49. Anywhere close to the middle also gives me slight drops to 58ish.

Overall I feel like the patch is an improvement so that's great! Someone also mentioned we got new free cars with the latest patch. I checked in DLC and Motorshow-All but found nothing free. I did however get a new Barn find (I'll let you discover what it is for yourself).

Edit - Chispy, you were the one telling us about the free cars. Do you have the car pack perhaps? :)

17. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Well before ReLive drivers freesync didn't work eith borderless full screen and I still didn't have input lag.
    Are you using DSR or CRU?
    My downsampling is down through CRU.
    You can't even get 75hz out of your 21:9?

18. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Yeah it did caused my input lag, i don't use DSR though just custom resolution through NVIDIA CP.

19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    I'm using NVIDIA's CP to create custom resolution, haven't tried DSR.

No, anything above 60hz results in slight lag and stutter, maybe cause i'm using HDMI don't know.
    It does have a DP but i can't use it cause of my wall mount.

20. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I'm using DP of course but I could try HDMI for the sake of it.
    I do have a friend with my old 25 inch 21:9 and it does 85hz on DP and 75hz on HDMI with my old Fury x.

Both of our 21:9 are lg panels. What's is yours?