GTX 1060 Vulcan not working

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Olorin, Jan 4, 2017.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Dark Souls 3 is more demanding than Doom 4. In fact, most AAA games are more demanding than Doom 4. Note: "more demanding" does NOT mean they look better. It means they need faster hardware to run well, even if they don't look as good as Doom 4.

As to why that guy gets 60FPS at 4K, I don't know. I don't get 60FPS either, and I'm on a 980 Ti which should be faster than a 1060.

Can we actually trust that video? Could be clickbait or trolling, while doing something that makes it appear like it's running 4K@Nightmare but in fact it's not...

To get 60FPS at 4K and ultra, you need a GTX 1080 according to every benchmark of Doom 4 Vulkan you can find online. A GTX 1060 should be around 25FPS-35FPS (min-max) at 4K. A GTX 1080 is about 50FPS-65FPS. I have no explanation why it's a constant 60FPS on that video. Thus, I assume it's somehow fake.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. Rabbitdude92

Rabbitdude92 Guest

GPU:
    HD7850 2GB
    You have an i5 6600 no hyperthreading, the Doom video is using an i7 3770k, Doom has multi threading support so yes it is going to have slightly better frame rates because it is utilizing the extra 4 threads available where as you are locked at 4

3. Rabbitdude92

Rabbitdude92 Guest

GPU:
    HD7850 2GB
    Also running at 4K maxed out on a 4core non hyperthreaded CPU is intensive and as such you will run into CPU bottlenecking

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Not really. If you look at the video, CPU utilization is very low. That video is just fishy.

Also, 4K doesn't result in higher CPU use. Raising the resolution raises GPU load. The CPU doesn't actually care about the resolution. Or at least it cares only very little. With 4K you're getting severely GPU bottlenecked.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017

5. Rabbitdude92

Rabbitdude92 Guest

GPU:
    HD7850 2GB
    You're thinking that every game is GPU intensive, take minecraft for example that's CPU intensive and cares very little for your GPU, and the CPU usage between 1080p and 4K for minecraft is extreme as I have tried it and played it. And it doesn't matter if CPU usage is low, doom is still a well optimized multithreaded supported game and as such 4 cores vs 4core/8threads does make a difference as it spreads the usage across the multiple cores/threads. Yes 4K is a jump on your GPU but it is also a jump on your CPU for many games that are CPU intensive or atleast CPU heavy. He has a bad CPU for 4K gaming and has and bad GPU for 4K gaming and it's just not feasible to hope for great performance even in Doom but having an i7 over an i5 makes a difference in Doom

6. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Bad CPU for 4K gaming? Can you show me actual benchmarks where gaming performance was limited in 4K using an i5 6600 (K or not) and an i7 (top of the range?)

Of the CPU reviews I've read I haven't seen major differences in performance in even 1440p tests, let alone 4K tests. Perhaps only in 1080p, which isn't relevant to the discussion.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    According to this for example:

[​IMG]

GTX 1060 gets around 30+ fps (with a Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.2GHz CPU).
    So your framerates are within spec for sure.

How the video showed GTX 1060 doing 60 fps is beyond me. Like said possibly fake.
    Also it's a very small and specific part of the game shown which isn't really taxing (small indoors area with few enemies).

Most likely just click-baiting to show GTX 1060 doing a "solid" 60 fps.
    Chances are that's pretty much the only part of the game (or one of the very few) where that is even remotely possible.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^

what he said. Don't expect 60fps with a 1060gtx @2160p

btw driver dsr is a bit more demanding then manual downsampling.

and speaking of jaggies when dsr, use smoothness 17-18%, don't use 0%.

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Uh... No.

Sorry, that's not how it works.

10. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Guys need some advice on something. I've been playing pro-longed sessions at 3840 res, Ultra settings, AA disabled in-game, and after while the game crashes.

Sometimes if I try restarting from Windows it works, but eventually it just crashes every time. Until I reduce the res to 1440p, AA 8x then no problem.

Is this normal? Anyone else with a GTX1060 that crashes when using DSR in Doom? The game is playable so that isn't a problem, but I'm concerned why the game is crashing.

11. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    This is the error log :

[​IMG]

12. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Anyone know what's happening?

13. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Do note :
    Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-doom-vulkan-patch-shows-game-changing-performance-gains

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
  15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Nope. That crash log doesn't say anything.

Try and disable "nightmare" settings. Just use ultra. Nightmare could be buggy. I've heard they crash often.

16. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Another thing I find weird. If I switch between weapons or if I'm in a new level the textures take a second or so to properly load. Like it will show low res textures for a second.

Is that normal? Even if I toggle 1440p, hitting 60fps on Ultra, the textures still take a short while to stream. Normal?

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah that's normal texture streaming.

18. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    If you watch the video he isn't actually running in 4K at all.

The entire video is shot in 1080p... he opened up the menus looks like he selects 4K then he just Escapes out of all the menus and keeps it running at 1080p.

For one you can't start a video recording in 1080p then switch resolutions and have it continue recording.