ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ offers UHD 144Hz IPS GSYNC and HDR

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 4, 2017.

1. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    I do have 4K 27'' and i notice staircase effect. So no. At least 8K for 24-27'' and 16K for 32''+

2. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Quantum Dots is just a Direct LED after passing marketing division. Of course it's much better than Edge LED as offers deeper blacks, but still OLED is the future.

3. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Im using one monitor for work and gaming, so no 16:10 format is problem.
    4k on such small diagnonal screen is usefull for gaming, for work i have to use 1080p downscale mode.

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    It's not exactly direct LED and it doesn't offer better blacks. It's merely nano-technology that gets excited by blue light emitted by the LED backlight so it emits red and blue light with wavelengths outside the range we normally see for sRGB, hence producing wider gamuts previously difficult to produce with other backlight technologies.

Technically, this has no bearing on whether the backlight is edge-mounted or not as the dots can be placed on an edge then a diffuser would take care of distributing light evenly across the panel. Array backlights placed directly behind a panel have no bearing on black levels as that is directly correlated with how much the pixels, in their alignment (TN, VA, IPS, etc...) leak light emitted (originally) from the backlight.

5. Haftarun8

Haftarun8 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    To address the concerns with contrast, while the panel is IPS (low contrast, inherent light bleed), this one may have a shot at achieving VA panel image quality cause of the full array localized dimming. Instead of one static backlight that's always on at 100%, this backlight is made up of individual LEDs in an array behind the panel that can individually dim all the way to 0% based on the relative brightness of the source content. 384 LED zones is very good for a 27" screen, and should be enough to give a perceived contrast way beyond the usual 1000:1 of an IPS panel, as well as solve the light bleed issue in darker scenes. I haven't seen this in a PC monitor yet (though it's been in high-end HDTV models for at least 7 years), so this is progress!! Excited to see some critical reviews of this thing to see if it holds up contrast/wise.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Kind of curious how they are going to handle the 120-144Hz on DP1.4. AFAIK DSC is required past 120 - which is visually lossless but I'm sure there is some kind of performance/latency penalty.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Uses dual displayports.

and what's with people saying 27in is too small for 4k?

163 PPI isn't exactly super high.

8. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yus! Just hope its isn't actually a year away, probably still be 6-8 months though :/

Don't know why 27" wouldn't be fine, still a decent size. One positive is being a 27" display at 4k means there is zero need for Anti-Aliasing, thus more FPS.

edit: Just realised G-SYNC HDR to be used in Mass Effect: Andromeda (March 21 scheduled release) meaning that we should see this monitor really soon, yay.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  9. silapakorn

silapakorn Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 SC 4GB
    I can't game at 4K simply because the GPU and my wallet won't let me.

10. dragonlord

dragonlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    Quantum Dot is just another marketing gimmick to try and wring out extra lifespan from ancient LCD technology. It still won't do real blacks because it's still got a BRIGHT LED backlight. The quantum dots are just another means of trying to block that light.

OLED remains the only light emissive display tech that can do true blacks...because it simply doesn't even turn the pixels on when it doesn't need to.

11. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I run my 27" 4K monitor with no scaling and still feel the need for higher pixel density. After using my screen I would not get a 30+ inch model (which I was originally planning on)

@dragonlord
    Q Dot is not about blocking light as using quantum particles to convert white light into different wavelengths, imitating how nature does it to create the most vibrant colours we have seen.

Definitely not just a gimmick.

Also this is a first iteration of Quantum Dot technology, future versions can be capable of energising the nano particles to directly emit their wavelengths of light without using any backlight at all.