G-SYNC HDR Monitors Announced at CES 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    NVIDIA ushers in the next revolution of monitor technology with the unveiling of the world’s first High Dynamic Range (HDR) PC gaming monitors, featuring 4K G-SYNC panels running at 144Hz. ...

G-SYNC HDR Monitors Announced at CES 2017

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Below 20ms with the mid and toprange of 2016 Samsung TV's, besides that they won't come with a 65" curved 4K G-SYNC HDR monitor that does 0ms and 144Hz.

3. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Great news! I just woder how long it will be until these will hit the sub-$500 mark, because thats when I'm likely to pull the trigger.

4. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Give me a WQHD or WQXGA version with real hardware calibration options, a good sRGB mode, and significant improvements from AUO on their panels, and I'd be interested.

5. BeZol

BeZol Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I love my PG279Q, thats 900 Euro.
    These new types will be much more then...
    Ah, and I forgot to mention the need for 2 gtx 1080 :D, and they are still not enough!
    In 4-6 years (3 generations later) maybe a 300 Euro gpu will do the job on 4k 144hz with the games of today muhaha :D
    At least there are no real limitations for 99% of the users from the side of the monitor, you just need to upgrade every time to the best nvidia gpu available xD
    So if someone buying a monitor like this, thats gonna serve for 9++ years, or until it dies. Funny hehe

6. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    I was interested in the PG279Q but I'm not the gambling kind of guy...

7. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Its a great step forward for monitors, but limiting them to 4k only and not having 1440p will be a killer, plus im sure the price tags ill be threw the roof.

Im struggling to justify moving to a highend monitor purely because of the prices. Hard to justify the spend. Ill be sticking to my BenQ xl2411z for a little while longer.

8. 13thCaesar

13thCaesar Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim Liq
    Man I bet these are going to cost and arm and a leg when they come out.

9. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    What happens if you buy this monitor, and decide to use 1440p in games where 4k is too demanding? Given the size is similar to 1440p displays, will there be image issues due to not using native resolution?

10. ChicagoDave

ChicagoDave Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 / EVGA 970
    Generally as long as you use an even multiple of the native resolution it should look ok. So a 2k resolution on a 4k monitor should generally look ok (not perfect, but not super weird either) and require less GPU power.

With that said, I'm not sure how G-Sync will work at resolutions other than the monitor's native one. Anyone with a G-Sync monitor able to chime in?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

11. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    Sure. It works with any resolution.

12. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Hilbert, can you give us a timescale? I've had a Dell U2711 monitor for a long time and I'm 'looking forward' to moving to 4K (gaming monitor & separate TV) and I'm hoping to be able to make the move by the end of 2017 (on both counts).
    I remember how much my U2711 was when I bought it (£££££) and I don't expect these new whizzy monitors will be anything less than very expensive when they first come out, possibly also for some time to follow.
    Of course my EVGA factory oc'd 780's will need to be replaced and with patchy support at present for SLI, will 1080Ti's in SLI finally be enough to play games in 4K? Prices not helped at all thanks to all those clever people who voted to leave the EU thereby trashing the £ against the $.
    So £1,000 for a new 4K 30-32" monitor and £1,500 for two new factory overclocked/custom cooled 1080Ti's? That's a major upgrade cost on top of the original cost of my Scan 3XS system! Costs, partly due to the weakness of the £, partly due to the lack of competition from AMD are already pricing many gamers out of upgrading.

13. ThundercatMan

ThundercatMan Guest

GPU:
    Msi gaming 980ti
    This for me is a game changer, all I want is ZERO back light bleed sent back my Asus 34inch g sync panoramic early last year because it drove me nuts.

Please let this be cured!