7950 not working only on specific motherboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JadWS, Dec 31, 2016.

1. JadWS

JadWS Guest

Hey there,
    First thing first I wanted to wish all of you a happy new year,
    Long story short, my motherboard ran into some problems which lead to my computer crashing all the time, so I a bought a new motherboard ( msi H61M-P32/W8 ), every thing seems to work fine at first, and I even managed to format my computer and install most of my desired programs until the next day, my motherboard for some reason was no longer able to detect my graphics card (msi 7950 ).
    So with the help of *yasamoka* we ran some tests.
    So we did test my graphics card on both my system and my brother's system.
    For the first trial my motherboard did not detect my 7950 and it displayed a black screen on boot.
    We then in the second trial placed the 7950 in my brother's computer and it did boot up with no problems and even reached the desktop, this is where we installed the drivers and preformed a stress test, the 7950 did a great job.
    For the third trial we plugged my brother's 980Ti to my motherboard and it did as well boot up with no problems and it did reach the desktop and even survive a stress test with no problems.
    At this point we tried to plug the 7950 in my motherboard again and as expected it was giving a black screen and it was not being detected.
    By these tests we managed to make sure that the 7950 was working fine, on other motherboards it had no problems running, and my motherboard was fine as well as it had no problem running my brother's 980Ti.
    For some reason I am facing problems with my 7950 only when I try to run it on my motherboard.
    After few hours of testing and switching between systems I plugged my 7950 to my motherboard and we tried to reset BIOS settings, it did not work, then we tried to downgrade BIOS version from 10.11 to 10.10 and then 10.9, 10.8, 10,7 and finally 10.6, same result, black screen on boot and the 7950 was not detected.
    We tried to flash the newest version of BIOS again and tried to reboot it, nothing changed.
    Finally I managed to run my computer using a VGA cable connected to my motherboard all while my plugged in 7950 is not even detected by my system.
    So if any one of you know what other solutions I could try or have any idea on why this is happening, I'd really appreciate the effort.
    Thanks for reading.

2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    So the 980ti works in your computer but the 7950 will not, however both the 980ti and the 7950 work in your brothers computer? Right?

3. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    1.....remove all drive connectors (including power and data conectors)

2. Clear CMOS.
    ------------------------------------------
    3. Go to BIOS settings and DISABLE Fast Memory Boot and DISABLE Spread Spectrum
    . SAVE and EXIT. (f10)
    ------------------------------------------
    3. Connect power and data connectors only for the HDD or SSD that is going to have the OS ( if using DVD drive for installation, plug them also.)

4. Reformat Computer again....clean install from BOOT (Get latest OS version you are installing)....after that if there's display:

5. Install Intel Driver Update Utility. Update Motherboard Chipset drivers. RESTART.

6. Install AMD Driver Detect Tool Install and update. RESTART.
    -------------------------
    I know you have been saying that you tried everything...but Do the above give a try. Good luck

4. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Unfortunately this is more common then you think. I have had 3 different PC builds for mates where AMD cards wont work with the configuration have to end up going for a nvidia card.

Never figured out the problem and no one on any forums could get the answer.

Its just one of those things. It sucks big time.