Intel Newbie Boost Frequency overclocking questions

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by campcreekdude, Dec 25, 2016.

1. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    I've only build AMD systems for the past while and now I am new to Intel.

With AMD I was able to do a modest overclock and the AMD boost frequency would be on-top of the overclock.

Everyone says turn off boost speeds for the fullest potential of overclock (i know its true).

With the AMD system I was able to test the boost frequency by launching dual or single threaded, tests with prime to measure/achieve stable performance. I switched over to 4 threads... watched the frequency bounce down... and switched to 2 threads or 3 threads.. it went up. I played back and forth for a long time.

Anyhow, with intel will the boost speed be on top of the overclock speed?
    I read some people say its not... but that might be old information.

I just got the i5-6600k (not in my hands otherwise I would have the answer).

People say a safe overclock is 4.6 ghz... but I think (my threshold) for a safe overclock would be 4 ghz with a 4.6 ghz boost frequency (if that's possible).
    I always go a little under than what other people are doing. But that would be my plan with no over-volting and using 3000mhz ram.
    I have ordered the corsair H75.

Anyone else overclocking intel and keeping the intel boost?

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    With Intel processors, the "overclock" is applied to the boost frequency unless you disable Turbo Boost.... An overclock to 4ghz, isn't worth doing as the stock Turbo clock is already 3.9ghz. You'd only be gaining 100mhz.

When you overclock with Turbo Boost enabled, you're increasing the Turbo Boost multiplier. When you overclock with Turbo Boost disabled, you're increasing the base clock multiplier.

3. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    Thanks,

It is different than AMD.
    I am reading about it too.

The default is a boost speed for all 4 cores is @ 3.6 ghz.
    (AMD does not have a 4 core boost)
    3c @ 3.7
    2c @ 3.8
    1c @ 3.9

So if all I do is over clock it to 4.0Ghz at default boost settings that would mean it would be
    4c 3.7
    3c 3.8
    2c 3.9
    1c 4.0

I am also looking at the features of my motherboard in the manual. After I posted the question lol -downloaded the manual.

Anyhow... The Bios of my motherboard has a few additional tweaks that I will play with.
    I will definitely not leave turbo to default and switch the multiplier.

Apparently I can change the base clock and the Turbo Ratios.

CPU Base Clock
    Allows you to manually set the CPU base clock in 0.01 MHz increments. (Default: Auto)
    Turbo Ratio
    Allows you to set the CPU Turbo ratios for different number of active cores.

Anyhow Merry Christmas,
    Happy New Year,

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Most of us don't touch the base clock frequency. The default frequency is 100mhz.

Personally, I leave Turbo Boost enabled and increase the Turbo multiplier.

5. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Once you are done benchmarking, switch to adaptive voltage and leave power saving options ON in bios with balanced power plan in win.

6. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    I thought CPU base clock was the lowest CPU core speed.

I thought the base clock frequency was the 3.5 ghz for the i5 6600k. AMD i calls it the bus. But now I know its the 100mhz they are talking about in that section of the manual that gets multiplied.

For the overclocks that I see on the net ... getting 4ghz should be easy even with powersaving enabled.

What I really want is 4ghz core and 4.1,4.2,4.3,4.4 boost clocks + power savings all enabled and xmp 3000 mhz ram. Thats the aim.

This might be achievable if i change both the multiplier and boost ratios.
    As long as the bios lets me play and set those settings. As well I guess they need to be stable too lol

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You can't change the base clock multiplier without disabling Turbo Boost. With Turbo Boost enabled, the base clock multiplier stays 35 and you adjust the Turbo Boost multiplier.

CPU Base frequency is 3.5ghz.....bclk (base clock) is 100mhz and bclk multiplier is 35. Turbo multiplier is 39. If you leave Turbo boost enabled and OC to 4.4ghz, you end up with bclk = 100mhz, bclk multi = 35, turbo multi = 44 (3.5ghz Base, 4.4ghz Turbo)

bclk is essentially the bus frequency for Intel....lol

8. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    Onto a Different Bios Setting...

What about the setting "CPU Flex Ratio"

Quote from Reddit:
    CPU flex ratio is the minimum multiplier setting it'll go to. So the override is to set it to what you want.

Quote from Hardops
    "I found the CPU flex ratio override setting. This was set to 20x which is basically the minimum non-turbo ratio the CPU will use under certain circumstances."

I'm pretty stubborn. I just flipped pages in the bios manual and found a new setting. I just don't know what that "certain circumstances" by hard ops means... lol

The manuals dont tell alot of useful information...lol

CPU Flex Ratio Override
    Enables or disables the CPU Flex Ratio. The maximum CPU clock ratio will be based on the CPU Flex Ratio Settings value if CPU Clock Ratio is set to Auto.

So if i set the clock ratio to auto... then change the CPU flex ratio... does it change the ratio of the minimum core clock speed. Is that what its there for? (then i can do what I want) Or do I have to set the clock speed to max Turbo Desire, then set flex ratio. Set Turbo Ratios...
    Remember I don't have the mobo yet its shipping to me. I can't test it.
    Yes I realize I am stubborn.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What motherboard are you getting? Mine has no such setting.

10. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    I am getting a Gigabyte-Z170-HD3. DDR4 version

It's the cheapest one I could get that was Z170.

While searching for the meaning of that setting I found that other boards (Alienware) had a "non turbo flex ratio" setting.

I'm not sure if it interferes with powersaving features where it idles down the CPU to really low speeds. But it seems like it should change the minimum clock from what I am reading.

11. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    So I am just going to say whats happening with the overclock.

I installed the CPU and left everything default - auto.
    All four cores activated it always ran at the turbo 3.6 ghz (not 3.5ghz core base).

This is the same behavior when I set the turbo to 4.1 ghz and cpu flex ratio at 4.0 ghz.

I ran prime95 last night. I don't get errors but I have annoyances.
    Even while running prime95 if I walk away after 10 minutes the computer went to sleep. So I disabled sleep.

Then last night at around 3:05 am (the last log entry for prime) The computer decided to do Windows Updates and restart the computer.

I was afraid that at 4.1 ghz my computer just failed and restarted. Then I looked at the update history and it did do some updates last night.
    Prime did not record any errors in the log.

Prime prior to the restart lasted a little over 3 hours.

Its possible that my computer failed at 4.1Ghz. But the windows update might be culprit. If it decides that it can sleep with prime running then it might decide restart.

I've never had Windows 10 restart on its own for me on my computer but I normally use Pro not home edition of win 10.

My temps are in the 50's they climb to 63 then the fan kicks in and they are back to 50's temps.

Doing a tri-threaded test seems like a waste of time.
    It rarely bounces up to 4.2 ghz for a long duration on the cores. Its as if it knows 3 core but the other core is in use by anti-virus/and all other things running.

So now I am doing a dual threaded test - its consistently above 4.1 ghz on all cores.

However, I don't like the idea that my computer restarted last night. But is Windows Update a good explanation?